Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 12

Author Topic : Thank you for your sense of community
 bsgkid
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
5/18/2023 10:09:38 AM reply with quote send message to bsgkid Object to Post   

Though I've been an active member since 2003, I decided within the last couple of years to try the home bred champ in every breed quest. I finally finished the last breed, so THANK YOU for those that helped along the way! I have met many new friends, and wanted you all to share in my victory!

It would take too long in only one kennel, so the 188 are spread across my family account (bsgkid/bsgkiddie/bsgk3/bsgk4/bsgk5). Thank you to those that welcomed me into your breeds, helped with pups and/or studs, left some shows open so I could finish some source dogs, and even reclaimed some dogs for me to try to revive some breeds.

Based on recent forum posts, it seems as if a few situations have sullied playing for some. Instead of a bad news thread, I wanted to point out how this is still a fun game to play, with AWESOME folks! Playing only one breed per kennel for the longest time, I missed out on getting to interact with so many players until this quest.

You guys ROCK! Let me know along the way if I can ever help you out on any of your goals.
Mary
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 10:53:58 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Congratulations on your home bred champions in every breed.

Very time consuming for sure.

Carol
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 11:54:20 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I am curious as to how long it actually took. How many breeds are on here? With the very low SOP breeds pr the ones with few dogs,did you have to keep breeding just to have enough competition? I can't even imagine...
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 12:07:52 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

I second that question above! Congrats!!
 CzarinaKennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 12:58:00 PM reply with quote send message to CzarinaKennels Object to Post

That’s so awesome! Congratulations that is a great accomplishment!
 Squeaky318
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 3:24:36 PM reply with quote send message to Squeaky318 Object to Post

That's awesome and quite the undertaking! Congrats
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 4:44:31 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Congrats - an amazing accomplishment!
 Carolyn
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 7:42:11 PM reply with quote send message to Carolyn Object to Post

Fantastic! I’ve played off and on since 2003 but if I were to guess, I’ve likely only had homebred champs in about 15 or so breeds.

What a great accomplishment! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Carolyn
 Lunatic
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/18/2023 9:02:45 PM reply with quote send message to Lunatic Object to Post

Congrats! I did that challenge myself in this kennel - started in 2012 and didn't finish until 2018, so 6+ years, haha. I imagine it was a lot harder now - even then there were a few breeds I had to really fight to get a finish-able dog. It was fun though!
 Rhoslyn Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/19/2023 12:30:04 AM reply with quote send message to Rhoslyn Kennels Object to Post

Congratulations! It was fun working with you!
 bsgkid
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/19/2023 8:35:00 AM reply with quote send message to bsgkid Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

It took 2+ years to finish the quest. In my first 4 kennels, I had one main breed, and would add one additional breed until finished. My fifth kennel was used to have four or five breeds going at the same time.

Ironically, the quest was inspired by working for almost a year to build source, only to have a closed kennel come back and freeze out those trying to build the breed back up. I also saw posts asking for players in different respective breeds. So, voila, my quest took off.

In waning breeds, I tried diligently to find hidden studs to either revive the SOPs, or help lower existing COIs in limited gene pools. In some cases, I had no choice but to start at source. In that case, I would show the litter until one pup finished.

There are 188 breeds on SD. I asked Jeff if he would add current AKC breeds, and the response was a polite 'no.'

Edit: Yes, some breeds with small litters had to be bred multiple times. I also tried to finish the purchased bitch as a 'thank you' for letting me in the breed.

-----
Last edited by bsgkid on 5/19/2023 8:38:39 AM

-----
Last edited by bsgkid on 5/19/2023 8:40:53 AM
 Badlands Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/25/2023 12:21:44 PM reply with quote send message to Badlands Kennels Object to Post

Congrats!!! That's no easy feat! Especially in some breeds more than others.
 Black Raven Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/31/2023 6:41:44 PM reply with quote send message to Black Raven Kennels Object to Post

Congratulations! We worked together in the breeds I had that you were working on at the time, always did a fantastic job! I don't remember if you were able to finish a Klee Kai? If that's still to do, I'm willing to help still.

Replies in this thread : 12

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class