Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Look Who I Found On The Highway....
 Cashmere
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/23/2009 7:57:11 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post   

I was stopped at a gas station this evening, and I noticed a commotion on the highway right next to me. Cars were honking and squealing and I looked over and there was a dog running around on the exit ramp. I walked over there, gave a little whistle, and surprisingly the dog came walking over to me. He appears to be a pit mix of some sort-cute as a button, and friendly to boot! I stood there for a little bit just petting him, looked around.. no one seemed to care.. so i picked him up, but him in my car and drove home LOL. I couldn't just leave him there.. I'm not going to let him be in danger.
This dog is quite frankly an amazing dog. He was calm in the car, just laid down, is a wonder in the house. He just sits and watches us, he tried to pee one time on the couch, but I corrected him and took him outside, and he's been fine since. He's eating like a hog, and is now fast asleep by my feet.
So.. I'm in kind of a pickle. I'm getting the dog of my dreams (a show quality pug puppy from my favorite show dog on earth) in two weeks. I've called shelters around here.. no one will adopt out pit mixes... if someone brings one in, they put it to sleep. Regardless of temperament. I'm so upset. He is a fantastic dog. He would do great with a family. I just don't know what to do.

Here are pictures of the sweetie. My boyfriend named him "Rocky"

Glamshots
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2009 8:06:13 PM reply with quote send message to Glamshots Object to Post

Awww! He's lucky you found him!

Possibly ask around. Put an ad in the paper, you know.
 Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2009 8:07:18 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

Here's some more pics of the little turkey sleeping next to me... he has since then moved from the floor to the couch happy :)

Tresor
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2009 9:24:18 PM reply with quote send message to Tresor Object to Post

It sounds like he is a dog thats used to life with people. I would put some found ads out. Did he have collar/tags on? Maybe take him to the vet to check for a microchip. Someone could be missin this boy.
 Brewer farm
Basic User

Basic User
6/23/2009 10:00:26 PM reply with quote send message to Brewer farm Object to Post

How insanely cute!

Rockey sure looks like my dog Honey Bear, its very weird XD.

i42.tinypic.com/2luz1g7.jpg

Diane
 Two Stars
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 2:12:46 AM reply with quote send message to Two Stars Object to Post

I agree. Check with the vet to see if there's a microchip. If he has any tags, even a vacination tag with no name or address can find you the home. A year or so ago, the two most adorable golden retriever puppies came onto our farm with a jack russel terrier. We live on a highway, so we were afraid they would get hit. We kept them in our spare pen. We notced the jack russel had a rabies tag, so we wrote down the number of the vaccination, and went down to the local vet. He was able to give us the day of the vaccination, but most importantly, the address and name of the person missing the dog. It turns out, the puppies belonged just down the street, too.

But I digress. If that dosen't work, I'd put out a "Found" ad in the paper, as well as post signs around town, specifically covering populated areas around the ramp where you found him.

If that doesn't get any responses, try placing a new add in the paper, and more flyers around town that you have a dog you want to give to a good home. I'd list the great traits at the top, then the breed info, that way people have the good things in their minds.

I hope you find a good home for the poor guy,
~Maddie
 Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 6:03:11 AM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

WOW! He does look like your dog! They are both so cute.

I've been checking around-looking around papers to see if anyone is missing a dog. i thought about the microchip idea, and i will probably do it, it just would surprise me if he had one. he was in a poorer area.. i just don't think he would have one. i dont know how to explain it. however, i will check it out.

ive posted all over now. craigslist, lost/found dog websites, and im going to put an ad in the paper.

he is doing great here. currently sleeping in the bed.. haha i really love him.
 sarahj
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 3:23:58 PM reply with quote send message to sarahj Object to Post

Thank goodness you were there! happy :) He's a cutie.

I agree, don't descide to keep him unless you're positive he doesn't have owners.

~Sarah~
 Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 5:21:13 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

def. not keeping him. he chewed through his crate today while i was work. the crate randomly ended up on the bed. both of my blinds (one in the bedroom and one in the living room) was ripped from the wall, and shredded to piece. it looked like it snowed all over the house from all the pieces. photo frames were ripped from the wall, dishes were broken on the counter top, the sheets on my bed were ripped off and torn to pieces, my air conditioning system was ripped from the wall, like literally torn from the wall, and chewed up. i have a fan thats pretty tall... he knocked it down, tore off the front of it and chewed that to pieces, broke my lamp in half. ripped a lamp shade off another lamp, and i found him laying on my kitchen table looking out the window, that now has nothing covering it because the blinds are completely torn from the wall.
he also peed all over the place, and on top of it made a poo right in front of my couch.

chyeah... i now know why he was abandoned....

Born To Rock
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 6:03:59 PM reply with quote send message to Born To Rock Object to Post

wow hes cute,

But sounds like the dog from hell.

That truly sounded like something that would only happen in a movie or something!
 Two Stars
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 6:18:47 PM reply with quote send message to Two Stars Object to Post

posted by Born To Rock
wow hes cute,

But sounds like the dog from hell.

That truly sounded like something that would only happen in a movie or something!

Wow! It's like those kids that are super nice when the parents are around, but when the poor 14-year-old babysitter is in charge, they're hell on earth...

~Maddie
 JoeNJackies
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 6:39:33 PM reply with quote send message to JoeNJackies Object to Post

Is it separation anxiety?
 Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 7:43:09 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

WOW! That does sound like a movie scene! I wouldn't know what I would do! What kind of crate was he in?

Poor dog, I notice he isn't neutered, maybe that would help his behavior, and I'm sure this behavior is why he was loose. But he seems kind of old for someone to just give up like that...

What options do you have? Shelter no because of the breed...

Wendy
 Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 7:43:58 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

posted by JoeNJackies
Is it separation anxiety?
Possibly, or just a dog that was never taught any manners...

Wendy
 Cashmere
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 8:06:26 PM reply with quote send message to Cashmere Object to Post

i dont know what on earth happened. it was a plastic crate.. i think its like travel aire or something like that. its sturdy.. but it now has a hole... actually.. more acurately, its just... one side of the crate completely chewed off..
i think its seperation anxiety... but i can't keep him regardless. i think its pretty obvious he was dropped off by someone who had a similar problem- i mean literally ripping out an air conditioner from the WALL? its HUGE.. and its now on my floor, and theres a huge hole in my wall.
*sigh* im never picking up a dog again LOL. next time i will just call the police or something. i was just trying to be nice... but apparently, he has some major issues. right now he is fine... sleeping right next to my feet. i guess the only time he acts up is when people are away. poor guy. i feel really bad for him. but, i also feel bad for my house sad :(
 Fantasias
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 8:15:57 PM reply with quote send message to Fantasias Object to Post

I feel sorry for you, the time and money to clean up what was just a good deed. You should still feel good about everything because at least you tried and you caredhappy :)

Wendy
 Everdale Goldens
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 8:36:02 PM reply with quote send message to Everdale Goldens Object to Post

So sorry to hear that your house is destroyed! sad :( You tried to do the right thing! Good luck finding him a home. I think if he is neutered that would help...
 JoeNJackies
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 10:10:25 PM reply with quote send message to JoeNJackies Object to Post

Sounds like separation anxiety to me since he's fine when she's there, it's just when she's gone that he's a monster. We had a dog like that, though no where near that bad!

I'm really sorry it happened! Hopefully the solution comes along to you soon. He sounds like a good boy, but needs a little tlc because of his issue, but, that's an issue that many people don't have the means to tackle. Would a wire crate work better?

Maybe that's how he got out in the first place... chewed a hole out the wall of his old home!! laugh :D
 Two Stars
Basic User

Basic User
6/24/2009 10:56:41 PM reply with quote send message to Two Stars Object to Post

That's actually plausible. If he were kept in a plastic kage/kennel ouside, if he chewed through, he'd be free as a bird.
 LoupGarou
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 11:39:54 AM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

It sounds as if you have limited options. Even if you tell a shelter that he's a lab mix, or something, there is no one in the world who will want to take a dog that can trash a house in a single afternoon. It's not fair to him to dump him again, either. I will probably take a lot of heat for this, but the best thing I can suggest is to talk to your vet about the situation, give this dog the best night of his life with treats and attention, and have him put to sleep the next day. Even someone like me, who works at home, has to go out sometime and if there is no way to contain him, it's not fair to ask someone to take him on and suffer the consequences for being kind.
 JoeNJackies
Basic User

Basic User
6/25/2009 11:52:00 AM reply with quote send message to JoeNJackies Object to Post

They have medications to help dogs with separation anxiety, as well as training methods to help stop the behvior, so I don't think euthanasia is the ONLY way to go. Some people are more than willing to go that course. It's worth a try before the dog is put down anyway. If the dog were otherwise bad, I wouldn't suggest it, but he seems sweet and loving. I know she doesn't have time to do this herself, especially with a new puppy coming, but someone might.

Replies in this thread : 27
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.