.com Forum · Brussels Griffon

Replies in this thread : 24
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : FINAL word on Color Coat Inheritance
 Griffsforever
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/23/2008 4:48:22 PM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post   

Color and Pattern Dominance

When studying coat color genetics it is necessary to recognize which colors or patterns have dominance over others. Your study of color will also become clear if you start from the point that Brussels Griffon only have two recognized colors and that all other varieties are simply factors of these two colors.
Genetically speaking, Brussels Griffon appear in black and red. Black and tan or belge, as the creators of the breed recognized the variety, are simple factors or expressions of the red gene and thereby should not be considered “colors” as such. Any dilutes that would appear are genetically modified blacks or reds or even possibly, black and tan or belge. To accept that there are hundreds of genes that effect color, as our eye sees it, will clarify your study of color dominance.
Black is dominant to all other colors in all animals. In Griffons, red follows black in order of dominance or is recessive to black. A dog that appears black and tan to our eye is genotypically red but phenotypically black and tan. The black and tan factor is expressed and simply covers the red gene. Thereby, the black and tan is recessive to red.
A further expression of the red gene is what we’ve come to know as belge. The creators of the breed tried to create three different varieties, but after a time some breeders stepped forward and did not want the three varieties to be interbred. Rumors were circulated that these dogs were not true Griffons due to their coloring and were crossbreeds. Of course they were all crossbreeds, because these dogs were only two or three generations removed from their ancestral stock.
From 1901- 1999 the LOSH stud book records in Belgium, the breed’s country of origin, show that 56% of all Griffon Belge that were registered were designated as black and red intermixed with patterning. It is the author’s opinion that belge as a color should follow country of origin definitions and not to follow word of mouth theories or revised standard definitions about the pattern.
Dilution is a separate gene from color and needs to be viewed as a gene that dilutes any color that it is applied to. As a result, one should not look at chocolate or blue as “colors,” but as a gene removed from all others that rides along the color wave. The dilution factors could come into view in any color breeding scenario if both parents carry the recessive dilution gene.
According to historical references and personal experiences, some of the areas to check for so-called markers of these dilution factors are horn colored or reddish appearing nails, reddish pigmentation around the anus and a lighter eye color than is normal in the breed. No known health anomalies present with dilution in chocolates, dilute belge, liver, or chocolate and tan. These dilutes will express their dilution in their nose pads, eye rims, and foot pads which will be liver, reddish brown or flesh colored. These self-colored noses should not be confused with a Dudley or splashed/ butterfly nose which is a disqualification under the current AKC standard for the breed.
This is not to say that dilutes are acceptable under any standard and it is my personal opinion that the dilution gene should be avoided when known to exist in a particular dog. However, not every puppy within a litter will inherit the dilution gene from the parents so test breeding is the only reliable outlet for discovering this dormant gene.
In regard to health issues, the blue, blue and tan and blue belge expressions of the dilution gene are entirely different matters. The blue expressions often carry a marker for alopecia or hair loss, occasional deafness or complete skin degeneration and blindness in extreme cases. I feel that should a blue occur within a litter that the breeding should not be repeated and I would question the use of the sire or dam within the breeding program to avoid future problems.
Many worthy dogs around the world carry the dilution gene and I would fear that we would further limit our gene pool is we refused to use dogs that are known carriers but please exercise caution.
Dapples and merles have been known in the breed. Several color mutations have been reported within the breed including solid white, dark eyed cream, Maltese blue, and even albino, but thankfully in small numbers. In the Lady Handley-Spicer’s personal letters and notes we find reference to “noir’s.” Noir simply translates to red that appears black. These dogs were described by the early breeders as appearing black to the eye but being capable of producing any color that they were bred to. These dogs are thought to be genetic blanks for color and breed true to whatever color they are crossed with. Recent studies show that the black Arctic and Timber wolf possess this same capability. These puppies are born red and change to black as they mature and carry the same markers or signifiers as discussed earlier. They are not blacks that have recessive red genes as they do not contribute the black gene at all when test bred.
For clarification: black is dominant to red, red is dominant to black and tan, belge is a double factor and thereby recessive to black and tan. Dilution has nothing to do with coloring but is an expression of a completely separate gene and should not be considered a color at all.

Historical References Regarding Color and Coat

In order to discuss color breeding in Brussels Griffon we must look back to the breed’s creators who, fortunately, left behind a vast amount of information. Mdm. Warzee’, considered the mother of the breed in Belgium, stated openly that the colors within the breed should be intermixed and that breeding solely for color would lead to the downfall of the type and that each color would then revert back to the ancestral lines that yielded that genetic color code. Lengthy letters between her and several other early breeders speak to the noir theory, the use of dilutes, the description of belge and other topics that are still bandied about and discussed ad nauseam, usually by people with no real experience to back up their theories. Mms. Dautricout possessed only three dogs, one male and two bitches.
When one of these black bitches was bred to her black dog a red puppy resulted and a letter of protest was sent to the kennel club implying impure breeding practices. Both the dog and bitch were bred several more times and never produced a single black puppy. A total of 31 puppies resulted from the cross and all were red. Today’s accepted genetic theories would hold that neither black dog carried a red recessive or at least some black puppies would have resulted in the cross. There is also a letter from the Lady Handley-Spicer enquiring why the people of the Belgian countryside were so enamored of the black and tan variety and their response was that they resembled the Belgian flag- black, red and yellow, all combined.
Until genetic coat color studies are carried out in a scientific manner in our breed we will never be certain as to their exact genetic makeup. The only long term study to be conducted that resulted in published data is Dr. Clarence Little’s Jackson Memorial Laboratory Study in Maine. Currently the University of California- Davis study and a German study should prove to be useful to breeders of Griffons.
We have all heard the theory that the interbreeding of the rough and smooth coats will help improve the coat quality of resulting rough puppies. Genetically speaking, nothing could be farther from the truth. Genetically the rough coat is dominant over the smooth coat. A smooth only carries genes for the smooth coat or it would be rough. The rough coat can carry the smooth recessive gene but does not have to as it is dominant in all respects. Thus, the interbreeding of the two varieties cannot affect one another. Genes don’t “blend.”
Other myths that have been passed down through the years are proven incorrect by the use of genetics. It has been said that the interbreeding of color varieties will affect the clarity of individual coat colors. Once again the myth does not hold up scientifically.

Recognized Genes in the Brussels Griffon and Related Breeds

There are many recognized genes that affect coat color and these are what bring about what our eye detects on the dog. Though no research or clinical study analysis exists it is widely assumed that the following genes are present in the Griffon breed. Dr. Little has found the following genes to be present in the breed and they do affect the coloring of each of the two recognized colors.
A8 solid black color
ay solid red color
aw banded or tipped hair
at black and tan color
a8 saddle marked black and tan
aM mantled red
B full extension of black
b chocolate
 Griffsforever
Basic User

Basic User
10/23/2008 5:49:52 PM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post

Please see that this info gets to Marchen Terriers when administration is ready to redo our coats.
Thanks Ainsley
 Griffsforever
Basic User

Basic User
11/1/2008 8:01:28 AM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post

hOPE THIS HAPPENS SOON.
WE SHOULD STILL HAVE A HUGE NUMBER OF BLACK BUT MORE ROUGH,
AINSLEY
 Marchen Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
11/4/2008 9:17:06 PM reply with quote send message to Marchen Terriers Object to Post

A Locus
Ay - Red
at - Black and Tan
a - Black

Smooth Belge
Ayatww
Ayaww

Rough Belge
AyatWW
AyaWW
AyatWw
AyaWw

Smooth Black
aaww

Rough Black
aaWW
aaWw

Smooth Black and Tan
atatww
ataww

Rough Black and Tan
atatWW
ataWW
atatWw
ataWw

Smooth Red
AyAyww

Rough Red
AyAyWW
AyAyWw

Red Rough 40%
Red Smooth 15%
Belge Rough 20%
Belge Smooth 10%
Black Rough 5%
Black Smooth 2%
B & T Rough 5%
B & T Smooth 3%
 Griffsforever
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 10:01:06 AM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post

Thanks Marchen for your help on this.
Ainsley
 Bruocsella
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 3:21:24 PM reply with quote send message to Bruocsella Object to Post

mwah Marchen- your a saint- I agree wholeheartedly
 Griffruity
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 5:05:59 PM reply with quote send message to Griffruity Object to Post

Looks great.. can't wait til it's our turn (again..lol)
 Crow2008
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2008 10:33:40 PM reply with quote send message to Crow2008 Object to Post

since I am a newcomer, it's fine by me..i dont know anything about genetics anyway...
 Montiana
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2008 2:30:08 AM reply with quote send message to Montiana Object to Post

Same here..
 Stephval Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
12/8/2008 10:15:53 AM reply with quote send message to Stephval Kennels Object to Post

Just a bump for this. Admin has started with the December Color List which we could possibly be on with not that many breeds left to give color, anyway. I can't wait for our breed to become colorful happy :)
 Griffsforever
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2008 8:02:56 AM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post

it will be interesting to see if our colors change from the last time. we will probably have more roughs but black will still be the hugely predominant color.
Ainsley
 Marchen Terriers
Basic User

Basic User
12/10/2008 10:12:44 PM reply with quote send message to Marchen Terriers Object to Post

It sucks being patient doesn't it? The breeds I most want color in are yet to be done as well. I get so excited each time a new "color list" is posted. Patience is a virtue and apparently I don't have it! happy :)
 Griffsforever
Basic User

Basic User
12/23/2008 6:25:54 PM reply with quote send message to Griffsforever Object to Post

posting to move this up
Ainsley
 Griffruity
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2009 7:21:41 PM reply with quote send message to Griffruity Object to Post

bump..maybe some colors soon???
 Malabu
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2009 2:08:59 AM reply with quote send message to Malabu Object to Post

we hope!
Kelly from wondai
 Stephval Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2009 3:47:25 PM reply with quote send message to Stephval Kennels Object to Post

October to Feb. and still nothing.

I hope there will be work on this soon. happy :)
 Griffruity
Basic User

Basic User
4/6/2009 1:47:46 PM reply with quote send message to Griffruity Object to Post

BUMP!
 Crow2008
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2009 12:39:57 AM reply with quote send message to Crow2008 Object to Post

I noticed Brussels griffon is not one of the breeds in Jeff's list of "to do" to add colors...

maybe someone needs to emal him and let him know we don't have colors yet either...
 Stephval Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/7/2009 5:39:43 AM reply with quote send message to Stephval Kennels Object to Post

We're not on that list because we have had our colors removed due to an error. That actually pushed us back in priority so we'll get colors after all the other breeds.

However, I don't mind waiting because I'd rather have it correct and late. It'll do no use to contact because I'm pretty sure he is aware . .
 Lochlea
Basic User

Basic User
4/10/2009 10:18:30 PM reply with quote send message to Lochlea Object to Post

oops i should of read here first :S, i mistakingly posted on alpha wondering when we were getting colours major oops!
Kelly
"wondai"
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
4/13/2009 11:02:36 PM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

It's been updated and will process with the rest of the breeds.

Replies in this thread : 24
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.