Replies in this thread : 31
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Is it worth it?
 Renagade
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/2/2018 8:36:26 PM reply with quote send message to Renagade Object to Post   

I've been playing SD since 2003 between many different kennels. I've been considering upgrading another account but I have some concerns. Is it really worth it? Our forums are quite quiet and it seems there are many glitches.

I genuinely wonder of your opinions.

Happy New Year,
Renegade
 Nefarious Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2018 9:51:45 PM reply with quote send message to Nefarious Kennels Object to Post

I recently came back from a hiatus and was disappointed to find that the site is not the same quality that it was when I left. The forums are dead, and the various glitches can be quite annoying.

I feel as though the great ShowDog community that once was, no longer is. I still couldn't help but subscribe, but I am only keeping one kennel. I personally, don't think it's worth it to be paying for multiple accounts until some things change (for example, the issue with the judges, strange show results, etc.).

I don't know if this was helpful to you, but I felt as though I would give my two cents.
- Kenzie
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2018 10:00:15 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Well, I have 10 kennels and while I shuffle the breeds around from time to time, I have no immediate plans to cut back even though I don't always have the time to properly manage them all.

Is it worth adding another? That depends on you and your situation - how much time you have to spare and how much time do you want to spend. It's not really that expensive (unless you have several kennels - lol) and the issues are mostly minor in my opinion. Yes it's sometimes annoying when certain things don't work properly but I can live with it. Can you?
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 10:05:47 AM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

I hate to be negative... but I would not pay for more than a month at a time.

As the issues continue to pile up, I think the game will be gone this year unless Jeff puts significant time into fixing various issues.

Sadly...
K
 Halcyon Design
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 11:13:44 AM reply with quote send message to Halcyon Design Object to Post

I do agree with Kalynda. It’s now an expense that I have to really think about. The exchange rate into ££ is not as good as it was and this game for me is an expensive luxury.

Each month I cut down on things because the cost of living is rising here & I guess that eventually I will leave.

If I felt cared about by the person I was paying money to then I think I would try and remain loyal for longer. I will probably try & buy coffee from my local little coffee shop because they make me feel so welcome & they care about my custom. I’m not sure if my custom is appreciated in the same way here. Fellow players may be sad to see me go - I’m not sure...

I end up staying because I feel like I’m throwing away all the hard work away that I’ve put into each breed & that’s what keeps me here. I can see how frustrating it must be for those who have worked even harder & played even longer and spent even more cash to not be winning due to glitchy show results or a lack of judges.

I love this game - it is quite sad really.
 Alibi
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 12:34:55 PM reply with quote send message to Alibi Object to Post

I guess I feel like Gaylan - I still have fun playing. Yes things aren't running as smoothly as they once did. But I still find I enjoy the game in large part. I run multiple family accounts and still have my original account from 2003 in the same breed.The glitches that happen are frustrating but I live with them. they don't affect my game play too much or to the point that I can't take it.

I don't want to leave and I don't want the game to end. Jeff is busy and I can appreciate this isn't his main "job" anymore, I think he does the best he can. I understand that it can be frustrating to pay for something and not have it run smoothly, but even Starbucks and McDonald's get my order wrong from time to time. I also appreciate that Jeff has never raised the price since 2003 to play this game, so at least we aren't paying "2018" prices I guess...

Is it worth it? For me i guess it still is. I don't have as much time as I once did, I started playing when I was a single college student, now I'm a Mom, Wife, doing dog activities, equestrian activities and life. But I still find time to escape to SD for some down time.
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 6:01:29 PM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

I guess I feel like Gaylan too.

I have a number of family accounts. At one stage I felt overwhelmed as I'd taken on too much, but a showdog friend took some of my kennels and I was fine.

The judges thingy is frustrating - especially when the emails say that Timothy Rodriguez has been welcomed but he's not on the list (and he likes Sealys).

Lorene Moore giving BIS to dogs from a kennel that may be abusing the system is frustrating. So I just don't enter under her, or only enter low level dogs so that they won't be hit by the glitch.

However, I have such fun, and I see improvements in my breeds. The fewer players around are supportive and helpful.

I did a while ago compare showdog to a car that you need to get rid of. However Jeff fixed some stuff, ejected some players who were a pain, and I can cope. I know that's he's working on the judges thing.

And I really don't want to lose the colours / traits I have worked on (yes, I know I need to get a life).

So, I'm here for a bit.

For those of you contemplating the cost, drop a kennel or two to make it reasonable.
 Renagade
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 7:34:23 PM reply with quote send message to Renagade Object to Post

Thank you everyone for your input. I believe I may go ahead and subscribe a month at a time.

Has anyone considered reaching out to Jeff to offer their assistance? Maybe we could plead with him to keep the site up and running? Has there been any attempt at advertising?

Ren

Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 11:53:16 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

This is a very niche game, if you don’t come from a (show) dog world and know nothing about it, then this game can be very confusing.

When I had first started out in 2010, I knew nothing about confirmation, it was hard to get the idea of it lol and I really had to ask around and research everything about it. I mean, I just wanted to play a “dog game” and have cute puppies and this game is so much more then that lol if your persistent you will eventually get the ins and outs. But not many newbies get it...

Advertising is expensive. I think Jeff did it at one point, maybe in Facebook if I can recall. I really don’t know because I don’t have it. The most people can do to help, is word of mouth, social media, etc.

And I know for a fact, Jeff wouldn’t hire anyone else to help contribute. I doubt he’s making much of a profit from his games (at least not like before) and with a family, life and probably a (main) job, the games have taken a slight step to the side. He can probably take on some volunteer moderators to help with like messages and the forums?

I agree the glitches should be fixed, they aren’t a bother, but it should be eventually fixed and in a timely manner. But will that stop me from playing? No. I enjoy this game way too much. I have learned tremendously from its veteran players (in RL) and value all my hard work.

Shadowstorm Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2018 11:54:10 PM reply with quote send message to Shadowstorm Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

That was me above. Sorry for any spelling errors, like *Conformation lol

-----
Last edited by Shadowstorm Kennels on 1/3/2018 11:55:22 PM
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/4/2018 5:18:34 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

That was precisely what I had meant. Someone offering volunteer help to Jeff or doing their own advertising. Social media is one amazing platform for that effect.

The bugs aren't enough to turn me away, every game will have it's bugs and let's face it, even real life cannot be predicted and has it's issues. Lol.

None the less, I am here to stay and as much as I enjoy this game, I sure hope the game stays around also.

Four
 Silk N Denim Terriers
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/4/2018 5:31:00 PM reply with quote send message to Silk N Denim Terriers Object to Post

I have played the game for a very long time and even now with the few glitches I still love the game.

The few problems in the game will never be enough to turn me away from the game.

So is it worth it? Yes, the game is what you make, if you have the right attitude the game will be very fun, but if you nitpick it, you will just be miserable.

I would also like to point out that the game format is quite ancient in terms of today's coding technology. There will be glitches. The game was created over 10 years ago and still uses the original format. It requires patience and understanding.

-----
Last edited by Silk N Denim Terriers on 1/4/2018 5:33:03 PM
 Intrinsicc
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/4/2018 7:17:34 PM reply with quote send message to Intrinsicc Object to Post

i tried to leave for awhile due to time constraints but I came back but didn't take on the big family accounts I had though kennel numbers are creeping up but I enjoy the play and the progress in some of the lesser breeds in those kennels. So you will have to weigh what matters to you. Worrying over bugs is not my thing either so glitches rarely affect me one way or the other
 Renagade
Basic User

Basic User
1/6/2018 10:42:38 PM reply with quote send message to Renagade Object to Post

Thank you, everyone, for your input. It’s greatly appreciated and I have very much taken heed. I have upgraded another account.

happy :) ,
Ren/Four
 StarGazer Shelties
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2018 8:50:13 AM reply with quote send message to StarGazer Shelties Object to Post

user wiped their message

-----
Last edited by StarGazer Shelties on 1/12/2018 8:50:54 AM
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2018 11:20:57 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I started in 2008 and at one point had 15 kennels. Now I have 5. I showed Afghan Hounds for years and once that ended, I was looking for something to fill the void. No other game comes even close like Showdog does. No fancy pix, no cute waggy tails, just dog showing and breeding. I love it and I would be lost without it. I am on a fixed income so I probably shouldn't have even 5 kennels, but I can't fit all my breeds into just one. I consider it a necessity for my well being and I will probably stay until the bitter end. It would be easier for me to lose all my dogs and all my progress if the entire site was gone; I'm not sure I could intentionally walk away from them all. They are too real to me.

Hey, everyone knows dog show people are weird...
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/12/2018 10:03:28 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Weird, but in a good way, right? Lol.
 IceCastle Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2018 12:46:21 PM reply with quote send message to IceCastle Kennels Object to Post

I've left and come back twice now. I want to believe but I think Gaylan has the right of it.

But honestly, I think what would answer this forum thread and all the ongoing would be some comments, answers, commentary, anything from Jeff that spoke to all the concerns, issues and worries that so many long term players have expressed here.

(I'm a lot of kennels - long time you probably know me by Blackfrost, others are Khepera Rising Sun, Celticfire, Black Lotus, etc etc)
 Aldeberan
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/21/2018 4:52:38 PM reply with quote send message to Aldeberan Object to Post

Remember when Jeff used to have those forums on Livestream (or something) when we could participate? I loved those.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/21/2018 9:49:22 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Yep, I remember those - lol.
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/22/2018 5:24:05 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

NO.

The situation with judges is disgraceful. Just cancelled both my accounts. Subscribe to a useful game with helpful mods. Gonna use the money I waste here for a Kindle Unlimited subscription. At least I get to read some books.

Replies in this thread : 31
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class