Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Finding older, higher SOP studs
 Windgate
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/19/2018 7:50:55 PM reply with quote send message to Windgate Object to Post   

I just got into a breed that apparently almost died out because all of the active breeders have extremely low SOPs but the older dogs in inactive kennels have good SOPs. Is there any was to use those older dogs to build the quality up quicker.
 Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/19/2018 8:24:01 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

This breed? If so, here's an older higher SOP stud. I think lol.
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?name=Ch%20LesPetites%20Cosmic%20Storm
 Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/19/2018 8:24:34 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

Blue Moon Collies
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/19/2018 8:25:48 PM reply with quote send message to Blue Moon Collies Object to Post

Kleenex Kennels 6
Basic User

Basic User
3/20/2018 11:47:25 AM reply with quote send message to Kleenex Kennels 6 Object to Post

most breeders now were trying to get new blood brought up, instead of using the same old dogs. check out the pedigrees of these low sop dogs and you will see some actually did try what you are saying but without new blood would be too inbred to help the breed going further

Basic User

Basic User
3/20/2018 11:48:45 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

like this dog, when i was helping out in the breed

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15883055
 Windgate
Basic User

Basic User
3/21/2018 7:04:29 PM reply with quote send message to Windgate Object to Post

Thanks for your suggestions. Been playing since 2003 and have found that I get the best dogs by line breeding, not outcrossing - in both this digital world and in the real life world. I used one of the studs suggested - we will see how it goes.
Thanks again.
 Intrinsicc
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/22/2018 12:29:22 PM reply with quote send message to Intrinsicc Object to Post

I have that breed in one of my other kennels and I have used the old dogs and will continue to do so while they live. I also have a source dog I am using. I started with source bitches who are unrelated of course. With careful breeding you can build up a breed using this kind of cross. I have done so in another breed which took a lot of effort to line breed and outcross to keep the COI down but now have dogs with SOP higher than the original old dogs and low COI. So these old dogs will be valuable to rebuild the breed as well as the outcross to the source lines.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class