Search

.com Forum · Basenji

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Can we please stop stacking shows?
 Bad Dog Kennels
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
4/13/2018 7:27:07 AM reply with quote send message to Bad Dog Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

With just a small number of of in the breed, why do we now have to have 8(!) dogs to get 5 points? I tried voluntarily just showing 4-6 dogs and it had no effect. This month I will not show. Can we stop stacking please?

-----
Last edited by Bad Dog Kennels on 4/13/2018 7:27:35 AM
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/13/2018 9:12:30 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Having large entries is not really the same thing as stacking for majors..
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/13/2018 12:29:11 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

This happen in Cockers also.
One person was doing this.
Not now though.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/13/2018 4:13:07 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

8 dogs to get 5 points is NOT an issue. It's not supposed to be super easy to finish a dog.

When it starts taking a huge number to get the basic 3pt major, that's when you start having trouble.

Just enter quality dogs with handlers and you can always steal points from someone who is sticking dogs in with no handlers.

Will
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2018 5:17:39 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

My breed needs 18 for a 3 pointer. sad :(
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/14/2018 7:30:26 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Thats because your breed has been infested with superkennels for years.

Will
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
4/14/2018 2:35:07 PM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Yep. I've been here since the start of SD. In the same two breeds. One is run by super kennels, the other breed is pretty much a ghost town. Guess I am stubborn.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/14/2018 8:23:34 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Giants were my first breed in this game. I enjoyed it immensely.

I've tried getting back into it, but it just never felt the same.

Will
 Bad Dog Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/16/2018 1:15:56 PM reply with quote send message to Bad Dog Kennels Object to Post

I hear what you all are saying, and for the most part agree. Thing is, there are only 3 or 4 of us Basenji breeders that show, and when I enter, maybe 2 others will enter with me. It's not like we have 10-20 people showing.

Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2018 5:35:59 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

8 for a 5 pointer is not bad at all! 5 point wins are not necessary for anything anyways. The reason it went up is because you were entering a bunch of dogs, most or all the same sex (male). If you notice the bitch point scale is fine.

I have been entering the same way for several years, and the point scale may only go up 1 occasionally in either sex. I have very little time to enter shows, so I take a few minutes to just pick a show, typically without other dogs to avoid altering points, and throw my whole kennel in if I even have time that day to do anything at all. Since I am maintaining 3 breeds, I only have room to keep 5-6 dogs of each gender anyways. So it works out nicely. 4-5 point wins for those working on their grands and 2-3 points for those in the classes working on a champ. Sometimes depending on how litters turn out my gender numbers get a little lopsided by a dog or two for a couple weeks but it tends to work itself out. For close to 3 years since I've been back, I've been doing the same thing and our point scale has always stayed low...
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/17/2018 5:36:06 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

8 for a 5 pointer is not bad at all! 5 point wins are not necessary for anything anyways. The reason it went up is because you were entering a bunch of dogs, most or all the same sex (male). If you notice the bitch point scale is fine.

I have been entering the same way for several years, and the point scale may only go up 1 occasionally in either sex. I have very little time to enter shows, so I take a few minutes to just pick a show, typically without other dogs to avoid altering points, and throw my whole kennel in if I even have time that day to do anything at all. Since I am maintaining 3 breeds, I only have room to keep 5-6 dogs of each gender anyways. So it works out nicely. 4-5 point wins for those working on their grands and 2-3 points for those in the classes working on a champ. Sometimes depending on how litters turn out my gender numbers get a little lopsided by a dog or two for a couple weeks but it tends to work itself out. For close to 3 years since I've been back, I've been doing the same thing and our point scale has always stayed low...
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/17/2018 5:36:53 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Sorry for the double post, I timed out.
 Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/17/2018 9:04:53 PM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

I have been trying to show a few, seems when have a couple sessioned up like now no one enters

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=16146067 would love to grand Boogie

-----
Last edited by Guiding Senjis on 4/17/2018 9:08:44 PM
 Bad Dog Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/18/2018 6:44:25 AM reply with quote send message to Bad Dog Kennels Object to Post

My point remains. With 4 people showing in the breed, and NO ONE entering the same shows, how do you have 8 dogs to show unless you're stacking with dogs that you use for fillers?
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/18/2018 7:05:30 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

posted by Bad Dog Kennels
My point remains. With 4 people showing in the breed, and NO ONE entering the same shows, how do you have 8 dogs to show unless you're stacking with dogs that you use for fillers?
That's not really a fair statement since we have to partially session dogs these days to have them not dismissed from the ring. 8 for a 5 pointer still isnt horrible.
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/18/2018 6:47:39 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Wait and enter your dogs at the end of the night. It will give the other kennels a chance to put dogs in and you can just add to the pot.

Entries close at midnight CST.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/18/2018 6:49:38 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by Bad Dog Kennels
It takes only 4 bitches for a 3pt major. You do NOT need to enter 8 to get a major.

Will
 Bad Dog Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/2/2018 11:55:58 AM reply with quote send message to Bad Dog Kennels Object to Post

"8 for a 5 pointer is not bad at all! 5 point wins are not necessary for anything anyways. The reason it went up is because you were entering a bunch of dogs, most or all the same sex (male). If you notice the bitch point scale is fine."

"Point schedules are calculated based on the amount of entries during the previous month in both all-breed and specialty shows."

@kiroja

I did not enter any shows in the month of April.

The table below details the point schedule for the Basenji breed effective Tuesday, May 01, 2018.
1 2 3 4 5
Dogs 2 3 5 6 7
Bitches 2 3 4 5 6

So apparently I am NOT influencing the point schedule as you remarked that I was.

My participation in this discussion is over. I posted in the Basenji Group to speak to those showing Basenjis, which at this point to my knowledge include 4 or 5 kennels.

-----
Last edited by Bad Dog Kennels on 5/2/2018 12:22:55 PM
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/2/2018 12:09:10 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

What's wrong with that schedule? You only need 1 extra dog for a 5 point major...
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/8/2018 12:10:27 AM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

Yes your showing lots of males in March made the point scale go up to 8 for a 5 point win. Now it is back down to 7 since you didn't show in April. You did influence it. I don't understand how you can say you didn't?? Pretty simple.

The lowest it can be is 6. It is probably up to 7 because I had a couple extra males for part of April. As I stated earlier, I try to keep about 10 Basenjis in my kennel at any given time, 5 males and 5 females. Sometimes those numbers fluctuate slightly. But I session them all as they are all similar quality. I don't have any "fillers". 10ish showable dogs in a breed does not make me some super kennel stacking like crazy. If there were several other players in the breed who would CONSISTENTLY show several dogs of each gender (and not be a handler hog in the process) then maybe I wouldn't need to resort to finishing my dogs on my own. But I have little to no time to play showdog so this is a quick and easy system for me to still participate and enjoy the game, considering I am the ONLY player to consistently show over these last few years. Six plus years ago we used to have a nice base of players to work with. Not anymore.

Purrs_Port
Basic User

Basic User
5/8/2018 4:21:43 PM reply with quote send message to Purrs_Port Object to Post

I am still here and trying

Guiding Senjis

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler