Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : lost breeds
 bloodbear
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/21/2019 10:10:57 AM reply with quote send message to bloodbear Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Does anyone else think it's a little weird that one could spend years on this game in one breed and then a year later that breed be "lost" due to inactivity in the breed and then have to restart from scratch, in effect losing over a decade of work? There's nothing put in place to prevent a breed from dying out [and having to start from scratch]. I just found a couple breeds I was in that are basically no longer. It's sad because the time I spent in the breed was all for naught. This kind of makes me want to leave the game and not spend any more time on it because I know eventually my efforts will be pointless. Maybe they already are.

Please give your thoughts on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought of it.

-----
Last edited by bloodbear on 11/21/2019 10:11:39 AM
 Azawakh Inc.
Basic User

Basic User
11/21/2019 10:50:05 AM reply with quote send message to Azawakh Inc. Object to Post

posted by bloodbear
Does anyone else think it's a little weird that one could spend years on this game in one breed and then a year later that breed be "lost" due to inactivity in the breed and then have to restart from scratch, in effect losing over a decade of work? There's nothing put in place to prevent a breed from dying out [and having to start from scratch]. I just found a couple breeds I was in that are basically no longer. It's sad because the time I spent in the breed was all for naught. This kind of makes me want to leave the game and not spend any more time on it because I know eventually my efforts will be pointless. Maybe they already are.

Please give your thoughts on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought of it.

-----
Last edited by bloodbear on 11/21/2019 10:11:39 AM

I find it sort of a fun challenge searching out "Lost" or dying breeds and working on reviving them or bringing back the lost colors in certain breeds.
There are some breeds that are available if you were to dig deep and look for them...sure you may have to use a starter bitch or stud, but those dogs are out there.
Just my thoughts.
 Yishar Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
11/21/2019 11:07:31 AM reply with quote send message to Yishar Kennel Object to Post

This is the natural result of a smaller user base.

I can only speak for myself and say that I have two accounts working on low SOP breeds that are being saved from the brink of "extinction" by breeding to high SOP males. It has kept my interest in this now quiet game, so it's not all bad.

Also, there is a historical basis for "lost" breeds and their eventual revival. WWII saw distinct drops in breeds like the CKCS.

And, finally, there are always starters. No breed is every truly lost. Yes, there is no design to keep dogs around forever if you want to pick up on a breeding program years from today, if that's your main point. Jeff would have to remove the deceased dog feature to change that.

(Also, to your point on pointlessness - this is an internet game. Yes, it's pointless lol)
 LoupGarou
Basic User
Forum Moderator

Basic User Forum Moderator
11/27/2019 1:29:51 PM reply with quote send message to LoupGarou Object to Post

I've been away from the game for a few years and find it interesting that there are some dogs that still go back to my original starters in existence. I'd probably be really sad if they were no longer--but--that doesn't stop me from getting a bunch of new starter dogs to create a new line. Just because of that challenge, I might be back to the game for a bit. I've been playing another dog breeding and showing game, but my roots are here in SD. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.