Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 13

Author Topic : Points Schedule
 kilohana show dogs
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/31/2019 11:21:49 AM reply with quote send message to kilohana show dogs Object to Post   

Every month, I am perplexed by the points schedule that comes out. It is supposed to be based on the previous month’s entries. So I just don’t understand why a breed with a huge number of players and entries (Australian Shepherds, for example) takes 4 and 4 for a major, while a much less popular breed like Plotts, where I am the only player, takes 4 and 7? This has been going on for a very long time...and makes me wonder if the method used to calculate the schedule is flawed?
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
12/31/2019 12:19:08 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

Yes, another blow. The only other exhibitor in my breed has not shown at all this month. I have shown,shown much much less, sometimes wityh several days between shows.I did this only to get the points needed, down. It has been very frustrating as I have lots of good dogs and have hardly shown some of them. Why then have the points for both sexes gone up by one point, now standing at 7 or 8 entries to get a 3 point major. sad :(
 Rensvik
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/31/2019 5:06:19 PM reply with quote send message to Rensvik Object to Post

I am finding the same issue in Norwegian Buhunds. I am the only kennel showing and that is intermittent at best. Yet I have to have 8 dogs entered to win a 5 pointer in bitches.
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2020 4:48:26 AM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Just worked out that in the whole of December I only entered 8 shows.

Total Entries for the month:
CH Dogs: 25 entries
CH Bitch: 20 entries
Class Dog: 44 entries
Class Bitch: 56 entries

The 3 point requirement has gone up from 6D/7B to 7D/8B.

Does anyone know how the calculation is done to raise or lower the entries required? If no-one shows in my breed for a month..what will happen?

I have emailed Jeff about it but will I get a reply?

-----
Last edited by Star Shiine on 1/1/2020 4:57:44 AM
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 2:20:03 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

Well... Ch entries will have zero effect on the point schedule.

The few shows you've entered with class dogs...

Are you entering the # needed for a 5pt major every time you build a major?

I always recommend building 3 pt majors instead of 5pts. It doesn't raise the point of scales as high.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 2:28:48 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

So I don't think the POS looks at total numbers of entries....

If you only enter 8 shows and have stacked for a major everytime.

The game will only count those 8 shows towards the Schedule of Points.

So 8 shows with 5 majors... It will raise the # of dogs needed for that major in the next month.

Try spreading your dogs out through the shows.

Focus on getting the dogs single points in smaller shows... and ONLY get the two majors as 3 pts when you have singled them out..

This will help bring down the overall pts needed for a bigger major.

And you will still be able to finish your dogs at a steady pace.

Will
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 2:31:43 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by kilohana show dogs
Every month, I am perplexed by the points schedule that comes out. It is supposed to be based on the previous month’s entries. So I just don’t understand why a breed with a huge number of players and entries (Australian Shepherds, for example) takes 4 and 4 for a major, while a much less popular breed like Plotts, where I am the only player, takes 4 and 7? This has been going on for a very long time...and makes me wonder if the method used to calculate the schedule is flawed?
Aussies are blessed with a nice spread of entries in shows everynight.

The weirder Point scales happen more in breeds where the distribution of entries is clumped into fewer shows.

Less concentrated entries help bring the schedule of points down.

If that makes sense.

Will
 Star Shiine
Basic User

Basic User
1/1/2020 4:41:35 PM reply with quote send message to Star Shiine Object to Post

posted by BarStar
Well... Ch entries will have zero effect on the point schedule.

The few shows you've entered with class dogs...

Are you entering the # needed for a 5pt major every time you build a major?

I always recommend building 3 pt majors instead of 5pts. It doesn't raise the point of scales as high.

Will

Hi Will, Thanks very much. I was just trying to get 3 point majors. 5 point majors require 9/10 entries now sad :( I didnt know whether CH entries made a difference, so thats good to know.
 Aussiewolfsister
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 9:23:52 PM reply with quote send message to Aussiewolfsister Object to Post

Thank you BarStar. I have been playing for a quite a while but never quite understood the points system. I shall be rethinking my way of playing in all my kennels.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 11:18:54 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Will, in RL if your unfinished dog win BOB or BOS over specials, don't those specials count as dogs beaten for the points?
 kilohana show dogs
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2020 11:23:05 PM reply with quote send message to kilohana show dogs Object to Post

I have Aussies in another kennel, and they almost always have majors in every show every night. Often, there are some kennels who enter so many dogs in one show a night that there are double the amount needed to make 5 points. There is no way that the point schedule for Aussies should be 4 and 4 for a major. Something is very wrong with this system. In Plotts for example, I only enter enough to make a 3 point major. I can take weeks off from showing anything, and the schedule for Plotts still hasn’t gone down. Again, this is clearly a flawed system.
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
1/2/2020 7:40:04 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

Don’t stack shows with more than you need for a 3 pt major. Also, players that stack shows with bunches of dogs to increase their champion dog’s number of defeated will increase the schedule. Super kennels are devastating to a breed point schedule.

https://www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Kerry_Blue_Terrier.aspx

I no longer show in my original breed. ??
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2020 9:59:13 AM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by DoogieG6521
Don’t stack shows with more than you need for a 3 pt major. Also, players that stack shows with bunches of dogs to increase their champion dog’s number of defeated will increase the schedule. Super kennels are devastating to a breed point schedule.

https://www.showdog.com/dogbreed/Kerry_Blue_Terrier.aspx

I no longer show in my original breed. ??

Yeah, the super kennel in Kerries really kills the fun of that breed.

It has for years.

Will
 Lanakila ACDs
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2020 3:16:32 PM reply with quote send message to Lanakila ACDs Object to Post

So look at the point schedule for Kerries...it’s crazy high. Why is the Aussie point schedule not high like that when they have huge entries in nearly every show then?

Replies in this thread : 13

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.