Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : COI
 XiZang
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
10/26/2020 10:04:55 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post   

There was a post on here a while back (which I was unable to find) about inbreeding. I do it quite a lot. Here is one of my latest pups with a COI of 29.95% (mother bred to her half brother). There were several SOP 100 in the litter.
https://www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=17428678
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/26/2020 11:37:25 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Try that in American Cockers and I get crap laugh :D
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/27/2020 11:31:27 AM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

I will try it in my Cocker kennel
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/28/2020 2:49:50 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I think the explanation here may lie in the fact that inbreeding is only really a problem when both parents carry the same undesirable genes and the closer the relation between these parents, the higher the potential for this to happen.

Afghans in SD are largely of the 10/20 100 SOP status and have been for some time. They carry relatively few undesirable genes to match up. Cockers are still in the 99 or lower SOP - they still have a lot of "not 10" genes with variations of dominance/recessiveness. Inbreeding a cocker has a greater chance of doubling up on those "not 10" genes. Afghans are a "more pure" breed than cockers.

Now this logic is based on real life genetics (thousands of genes and metabolic processes) but we don't really know the underlying mechanism of "reproduction" in SD or how it uses the COI value.

Well, I'm not sure if my point is getting across, but there it is - lol.
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/28/2020 6:32:08 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Have an Afghan puppy with an SOP of 100 and a COI of 29.95 up for sale.
https://www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=17428681

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.