Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Kennel Name Dilemma
 BarStar
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
7/13/2022 7:29:52 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post   

So I've been using BarStar as a kennel name on SD since 2006, but I recently rediscovered a hiccup in using that I forgot about.

When I created the kennel name, I googled as much as I could and didn't come up with any major kennels using the prefix BarStar. Most googling results are refer to scientific papers or an urban dictionary entry.

I use the prefix on anything I breed and show in this kennel regardless of the breed. Well, I found out that their is an established Dachshund kennel that uses BarStar's as her prefix. According to a doxie club page's breeder listings, the kennel is closing down. It's a combination of her first and last name.

Years ago I finished some homebred dachshunds in the game with this prefix, but haven't dabbled in Dachshunds until the last few months.

So what would you do in my situation?

Keep using the prefix you've been associated with forever and put a disclaimer on your kennel page.

Ditch the breed all together.

Begrudgingly embrace the change and use a different name for that breed alone.

Will
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2022 9:38:33 PM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

If it makes you feel better add a disclaimer to the page (something like “This kennel is purely virtual and and not affiliated with any real kennel). You are in no way trying to recreate or emulate a real life “famous” kennel. I’m fact you MAY have started using the name before the real life kennel even started.
Quite honestly I’m sure there are real kennels with the same or similar names to like a good 10% of the usernames on here just due to some of the pretty generic/popular names. It may be a *bit* more of a gray area if you kennel was all dachshunds or something but you carry a variety of breeds so I don’t think you are in anyway trying to emulate a specific “famous” dachshund kennel.
From reading the rules it seems that that rule is more so in place to keep people from being like “I want to have a husky kennel!” *googles famous husky kennels and choses one for their kennel name*.
 Amoroso
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2022 9:49:55 PM reply with quote send message to Amoroso Object to Post

I have bred and shown dachshunds in real life for over twenty years, and never associated your kennel with the real life kennel. To be honest, I had to google the kennel name as it sounded familiar but is by no means prominent. In any case, I think you are fine using a disclaimer. If she hasn’t had an issue with the kennel name as of yet (although, I’m sure she’s unaware), I doubt she would now especially if she is no longer breeding. Just my two cents!
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2022 10:26:31 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

I think you are fine. If by now no one has said anything, and if the kennel is closing down, I might not even bother with the disclaimer.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/13/2022 11:56:49 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I agree - under the circumstances I wouldn't worry about it too much. The "error" was made in good faith.

Gaylan is a contraction of my first two names - Gayle Anne. I registered a local business name some years ago as Gaylan Studio and became well known locally and more widely within a certain circle of interest including real dog showing. I used the name when I started my first ShowDog account.

There is a U.S. Golden Retriever breeder that uses Gaylan. (Her name is apparently also Gayle.) I found out about the real kennel when I toyed around with the idea of breeding a real litter and tried to register Gaylan - CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) rejected it so I got my second choice. Circumstances changed and I never did breed but I have continued to use GaylanStudio for my works and have never heard from the kennel or anyone else about it. (I did do a Golden model - I wonder if they've seen it, or maybe have one even - lol.)
 Race Point
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/14/2022 12:37:25 PM reply with quote send message to Race Point Object to Post

I would keep it
 Limerick Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/17/2022 6:38:09 AM reply with quote send message to Limerick Kennel Object to Post

Many years ago, I was in one particular working breed. I had wanted a unique kennel name. My real life Anatolian at the time, was growling at something out the window. At that time, I was studying German, so my dad, because dad’s know everything, right, said why don’t you use something like Growl City. I did not use that, but I did use the name combining the English word Growl and the German word for city or town.

I was totally unaware that there is a town in a state in California with that name, and that there was a kennel in that town who also bred Anatolians. I certainly was not intending to emulate them, as I didn’t know they existed. Anyway, I can’t remember what happened, just that I grovelled to the actual kennel owner, ensured her that I did not intend to use her name and wasn’t trying to be her on the game. I don’t think she accepted my explanation, but I don’t know, since I do not have the power of mind reading.

You’re probably safe, but I would put a disclaimer on your page anyway. Just something like that you are in no way trying to imitate real kennels or real life dogs and leave it at that.

Limerick
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2022 11:38:06 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Will, if the kennel is closing down then they aren’t paying AKC for their kennel name, maybe.
I would keep it.
If for some reason you have to change it, why not to WillStar?

Carol
 BarStar
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/17/2022 4:47:54 PM reply with quote send message to BarStar Object to Post

posted by Clwyd Cockers
Will, if the kennel is closing down then they aren’t paying AKC for their kennel name, maybe.
I would keep it.
If for some reason you have to change it, why not to WillStar?

Carol

I am going to take a short break so I condensed the kennel back to Dals and Tibbies for now.

Will
 pooh98
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/9/2023 12:18:54 PM reply with quote send message to pooh98 Object to Post

Dondaig was actually my real affix when I bred Gordon Settrs from the early 80’s to the late 90’s.

Y daughter now has the affix on her pointers and finds it funny when she searches google and all my dogs from here show up lol.

I would say don’t worry about it and carry on
 MoonKennels17
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/9/2023 12:58:41 PM reply with quote send message to MoonKennels17 Object to Post

Is there a way to change your kennel name, or are you just considering changing the prefix? I personally would like to change my kennel name, but don't think that's possible. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
 Fingerprint
Premium Member

Premium Member
5/9/2023 2:02:49 PM reply with quote send message to Fingerprint Object to Post

You are right. You can change the prefix but the kennel name is carved in stone.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.