Search

.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Small change, steamline entry process
 GaylanStudio2
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/4/2022 1:46:00 PM reply with quote send message to GaylanStudio2 Object to Post   

A simple change regarding handler selection:

When I pick "Choose Handler" the next page shows the Judge link. Can we not have the judge's traits automatically load - saving another click to see that then another click to go back to select the handler.

It might encourage me to enter these shows more often when there is no "Owner" judges available that day . . .
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/4/2022 6:58:09 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

What I would like to see is 75% of the handlers removed.
 Sunwing
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2022 5:25:57 PM reply with quote send message to Sunwing Object to Post

Has there been any new rotation of handlers? When I came back for some reason I expected to see a different set of handlers lol.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2022 8:34:00 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'm not sure there has ever been a rotation or any kind of change in handlers.

There used to be periodic retirements of judges and new ones added but it hasn't been done for some time. I can't recall the details but it seems there was some kind of issue around the process. I think maybe there was a failure in the creation of new judges and the roster was becoming quite limited.

XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/5/2022 9:40:06 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

Some of the judges retired before I even joined. It's like the codes to rotate handlers and/or judges was deleted. It is extremely frustrating and I no longer try to match judged to dogs. It just takes too long. It takes some of the fun out of it for sure.
 Eclipse 207
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2023 8:11:07 AM reply with quote send message to Eclipse 207 Object to Post

this post has been edited 3 time(s)

I agree with XiZang.

I like to show everything by Owner, and feel all Handlers should go away, I think it's more fun and fair that way.

-----
Last edited by Eclipse 207 on 1/1/2023 8:14:42 AM

-----
Last edited by Eclipse 207 on 1/1/2023 8:15:19 AM
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2023 9:36:35 AM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Eclipse 207
I agree with XiZang.

I like to show everything by Owner, and feel all Handlers should go away, I think it's more fun and fair that way.

No thanks. I have campaigned many dogs on this website utilizing judge preferences and that's part of the fun for me. Taking the short time to evaluate for group/show placements and wins has led to some of my best dogs. Handlers are a part of that. They also keep the schedule of points fairly low for /most/ breeds, which keeps things fair.

Owner handler preferred judges are fine and I enter all class dogs when they pop up. However, I don't see any reason for the rest of the judge pool with handlers to go away.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 1/1/2023 9:47:30 AM
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2023 2:43:58 PM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Re handlers, there are just too darned many. The bottom half could be eliminated and it would not change anything, just make it a little quicker.

Re judges, used to be that there was a smaller pool of judges that rotated. With as many dogs as I have in 5 kennels, some just get shown under OH and for the others, because it's so time consuming I usually just pick ones who like handlers in the top half so I can't have to scroll down for every one. I used to have a spreadsheet listing the judges and their preferences, but now there are just too many to do that.

Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/1/2023 5:24:56 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Tarot
Re handlers, there are just too darned many. The bottom half could be eliminated and it would not change anything, just make it a little quicker.
Maybe I'm just running on memory at this point because when I see certain names in the preferred handlers list, I already know who to pick (say, Ellen, Roxanne, Joe, Reberol, Billip). But perhaps that's just after playing this game for 16 years, on and off laugh :D

edit: also of the Top 25 handler preferences per judge, we effect handler rankings and we always pick the usual suspects. The game might be different if there wasn't so much weight on the handlers, but again, game updates and improvements.

posted by Tarot
Re judges, used to be that there was a smaller pool of judges that rotated. With as many dogs as I have in 5 kennels, some just get shown under OH and for the others, because it's so time consuming I usually just pick ones who like handlers in the top half so I can't have to scroll down for every one. I used to have a spreadsheet listing the judges and their preferences, but now there are just too many to do that.
Yes, that is true, the pool is large and was handled better a long time ago with retirements and new judges.

Again, this is an issue of maintaining and updating the game. As I have said on other boards, I don't think that's something that will be addressed seriously ever again.

-----
Last edited by Comet Poodles on 1/1/2023 5:27:11 PM
 XiZang
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2023 12:31:03 PM reply with quote send message to XiZang Object to Post

It would be interesting if for a month everyone just used the handlers at the top of the judges' preference listss.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.