.com Forum · Alpha Dog Forum

Replies in this thread : 16

Author Topic : 20 Year Anniversary
 me__0021
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
6/3/2023 9:06:29 PM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post   

Hey,
I saw in the notifications a reminder about a 10 year congratulations, and it dawned on me that I've been playing for a lot longer than 10 years, in fact later this month is my 20 year anniversary.

I imagine there are a few of us around that remember things like:
- The Phantom Yorkie
- SDWC winner winning a subscription account
- Incredibly active chatrooms and forums

Happy 20 year to those who celebrate ... and Jeff maybe it's time to update that badge as well happy :)

Jessica
 Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2023 1:05:19 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Wow. Congratulations. I have only been here since 2/2008.
 DetroitKennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2023 9:42:03 AM reply with quote send message to DetroitKennel Object to Post

Oh wow congratulations 20 years is a long time! Dedication and I’m sure you have seen so many transitions!
It’s crazy, I think I first started playing in either late 2005/early 2006 when I was like 11. Had a dark mirage Belgian Shepherd and some Cremedelacreme dachshunds. Had no idea what I was doing played for only a month or two. Played again for a year or so on two standard accounts in 2012-2013ish? Loved it but due to life circumstances had to quit. Started back up again in 2020 and have two family accounts and love it. It’s my little me time. It’s crazy how just a game can have such a therapeutic effect!
I have no idea what the phantom yorkie is but it sounds like a definite story!
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2023 10:40:42 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

Congratulations!

I’m 18 years next month.
2 yrs after I started, I was in hospital for 2 1/2 months. A friend, who used to play, kept me going until I could get back on.

We *Veterans* are a dedicated bunch :- D

Carol
 Comet Poodles
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2023 4:44:00 PM reply with quote send message to Comet Poodles Object to Post

Amazing - congrats on the milestone, Jessica!

Detroit, my story is a lot like yours. After 17 years of playing on and off, this site is definitely some fun 'me' time.
 tarad202
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/4/2023 7:37:59 PM reply with quote send message to tarad202 Object to Post

Yes, we need 20 year badges! I never thought I would have spent so much of my life on this game. I love it!
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/5/2023 11:20:47 AM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

I have asked Jeff about this.
He has been dealing with health issues so don’t expect to hear back from him any time soon.

Carol
 Lamel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/5/2023 2:52:31 PM reply with quote send message to Lamel Object to Post

Congrats to you!

Tarot
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/6/2023 1:08:32 AM reply with quote send message to Tarot Object to Post

Honestly, after having been in the RL dog show business for 20+ years (Afghan Hounds, Tarot is my real kennel name, from the 70s to the 90s) this is the only thing that even comes close to filling the void. When anyone not involved in the real thing sees it, that it's just numbers basically, they just don't get it.

It's not for the faint of heart, but I would miss it terribly.

Sorry to hear Jeff is having health issues, I remember when there were monthly (?) meetings online with him. It was awesome. He really was (and still is) a friend.
 Boodie Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/7/2023 11:54:33 AM reply with quote send message to Boodie Kennels Object to Post

Congratulations wink ;).. and definitely understand.. I'm coming up on 18 years between my first kennel and this one..started in 8th grade, I'm 31 now laugh :D

Also glad to see a few of the kennels from back in the day still here having fun with the game.

-Jonathan
 me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/11/2023 3:50:30 AM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

Thanks so much everyone! It's funny to think I started playing this game while completing my Undergraduate (it was a way to fill time in the computer labs at uni while I was between classes). Long before we had wifi everywhere, or I could play on my ipad like I do now!
I'm now in the process of completing my Doctorate, and it's amazing to think how far the world has come.

When I came to the states a few years ago, one of the Showdog.com people met me and took me, my mum and our friend to the Long Beach Dog Show. It was a lovely day, snuggling with a little curly coated retriever. I think it might have been the first ever SD international meet up. happy :)

Congratulations to the rest of you, saying 15 years, or 18 years is 'only' the time you've been playing is no small feat either. In a world where technology doesn't last long, the fact that there are a group of us still here, and still enjoying it is also a great testament to Jeff. I hope he gets well soon.
 Starlite and the Stars
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/11/2023 11:17:01 PM reply with quote send message to Starlite and the Stars Object to Post

Congrats! Keep going!! happy :)

This is my 2nd kennel, but years ago I was here with a similar kennel name, & it was Chows, same as now. (Couldn't remember my password, & no longer have the original email, so started over.)
No idea how many years in total I've been here as I did take a break for quite a while.
 Little River Kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/14/2023 9:15:14 AM reply with quote send message to Little River Kennel Object to Post

I started playing ShowCats in 2007 and I was on Showdog too but not very seriously. I was a premium user on SC and was obsessed with it. Once SC declined I came over here and started playing more often, but I never really did have a premium sub until I was an adult. I love this site! I've been here for ages just lurking. happy :)
 WishMaker
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/27/2023 2:41:54 PM reply with quote send message to WishMaker Object to Post

It will be 18 years this coming November. A lot has changed since then. When I first started In real life had 1 pet Samoyed. Now I have 3 Samoyeds. All 3 have working/performance titles and 1 is my first real life Show Samoyed. Just a few more points and he will be a Champion happy :)

WishMaker
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/27/2023 7:32:56 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I'll be 19 this coming November!
(Not my real age - Lol)
 bsgkid
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/22/2023 11:00:34 PM reply with quote send message to bsgkid Object to Post

I just made my 20th anniversary (9/16/03)!
 Kimoko
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/23/2023 7:45:42 PM reply with quote send message to Kimoko Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

2005 here, and like a lot of you, I started playing Showdog to fill the void after I quit showing in RL (Malamutes). I took a long break from the game and only came back this spring. So I can't say I've been playing 18 years, only that I began 18 years ago. It has certainly changed since then. I was part of the great reset and the color addition (I did mals with the help of a friend). I recognize some of the names from back then that are still playing or have come back like I did. A 20 year badge would be great but we can honor those people here as well.

-----
Last edited by Kimoko on 9/23/2023 10:01:41 PM

Replies in this thread : 16

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.