Search

.com Forum · Beginner Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Trait Breeding Question!
 Nefarious Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
2/9/2018 6:02:54 PM reply with quote send message to Nefarious Kennels Object to Post   

I was just looking to hear other breeders takes because I've never bred specifically for a trait before. I'm working in Miniature Schnauzers and for the past while I have just been breeding for SOP and have also started to integrate some source dogs to try and diversify the lines.

I've noticed that all of the Miniature Schnauzers in the game have a 10.2 head. If I'm trying to work specifically on that trait, how do I go about getting it lower when there are no other dogs to breed to that are lower? Do I just keep breeding 10.2's?

Thanks!
- Kenzie
 Spindrift
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/9/2018 11:02:28 PM reply with quote send message to Spindrift Object to Post

I've been working for a year to get consistent heads in my Setters. And I'm doing ok now with consistency, but I haven't yet gotten one that's competitive in the show ring.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/10/2018 12:03:21 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Heads - It looks like they really are stuck at 10.2 and have been for a while (lol).

Can you find anyone that's not 10.2 even if they are a bit higher - introduce some different "genes" and maybe shake things up a bit.

If not you could use the starter to introduce some variation but you will take a hit on all the traits. It will be a long process but you could breed the starter to a current dog then breed those offspring together (you'll need two or more lines).

It looks like you have 3 starter girls but their heads are all high. Breed each of them to a different current stud and keep at least one from each litter. You might breed them again to three more studs and keep at least one from each. Then breed those pups pups back and forth among themselves and breed their offspring back to current high sops again - just watch the COI although it should be ok.

Starters are full of all kinds of surprises. I've been playing with some colour projects in Salukis and greyhounds and have had a number of 10.0s pop up at random traits. Of course, the rest of the dog might leave a lot to be desired - lol.

It sounds similar to what we had with American cockers except they were stuck at 9.8. Fortunately we had a couple of leftover "project" dogs that had 10 heads so we were actually able to get those 10 heads on current competitive stock fairly easily - three or four months I think.

Good luck.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 2/10/2018 12:13:22 AM

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing