Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Color surprise
 Intrinsicc
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
6/28/2020 12:29:04 PM reply with quote send message to Intrinsicc Object to Post   

I had a litter of all blue and whites out of a cross between a black and white and seal in white. Should not have had dilutes with this cross. I can’t remember this ever showing up before in SD. I have IGs in RL and would not expect blue from that kind of breeding, had what I thought was a red bred to my seal girl and got one blue pup but turned out dad was really red fawn, so therefore dilute. Just kind of a surprise though with blues in short supply in SD glad to get the color. Anyone else having odd color results?
 Intrinsicc
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2020 12:30:03 PM reply with quote send message to Intrinsicc Object to Post

If this happpened in RL would be doing DNA parentage tests happy :)
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
6/28/2020 1:18:29 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I don't know. According to your colours setup, it's definitely possible.

Blue is a dilute d/d working on all pigments. It can be carried by blacks who are genetically A/A,D/d and I would think also seal which are Ay/A,D/d. This is the situation depicted by your colour chart.

Your chart seems seems perfectly reasonable in this regard. You need a double dose of the recessive d for it to have an impact. It is very possible for both black and seal to carry the recessive.

With small litters (this is the case I believe with the IG) it has less chance of showing up so it's a little odd perhaps to see 3 of them but not impossible.

Congratulations!

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.