Search

.com Forum · Herding Breeds

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Please help!!
 EnchantedFlame_Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
12/19/2006 10:57:44 AM reply with quote send message to EnchantedFlame_Kennels Object to Post   

Hi, I need help with a project that I am doing for school. I was wondering if anyone could explain what a herding breed is, but not something copied from say a dictionary or a professional site. Also any info about herding breeds would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Mytologia
Basic User

Basic User
12/21/2006 9:07:25 AM reply with quote send message to Mytologia Object to Post

A herding breed is a dog that was made for farm work. Basically herding sheep, cattle, and working on the ranch. That came from my own mind.

Herding breeds tend to be a bit faster because of their jobs and the speed, let alone the valor, it requires. Herding breeds tend to excel at certain things, also being written as one of the easiest groups to train because of their smarts. Although any other breed group could be smart, it has been proven that Herding breeds have been able to be trained faster.

Hope I helped!

Mytologia Myth
 Soise Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
12/25/2006 11:56:37 AM reply with quote send message to Soise Kennel Object to Post

Herding breeds are any of a group of dogs bred to move livestock. These dogs have been selectively bred for centuries to perform certain tasks suiting the farmers needs and have developed a lot of unique traits for these tasks.

Corgis, for example, were bred to have short legs in order to easily be able to avoid the kick of a cow. Border Collies are very agile, fast and light footed and perfectly suited to walking on the backs of sheep or circling in wide arcs to move them.

Many herding breeds have something herding people call "eye" which is, in some breeds, directly related to the dog's level of herding instinct. Border Collies are a breed supposed to have a very strong eye and control the sheep with this stare and intimidation. Other breeds control sheep with more force and throw their weight around, literally. Still others, like Australian Cattle Dogs and Corgis, both originally cow breeds, quickly resort to nipping at heels if eye and bark don't do the job.

That's probably more than you need, I was just rambling....

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
The sit for exam is a modified version of the Stand for Exam. It is generally used in novice level classes and requires the handler to order the dog to sit and then to move away from the dog the length of the leash. The judge will then approach the dog and pet the dog's head.