Search

.com Forum · UK Forum

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Dublin, Ireland Bans 11 Dog Breeds - Dump The Dogs Or They Will Be Destroyed
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/11/2007 7:11:06 PM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post   

www.dogpolitics.com/my_weblog/2007/07/the-dublin-city.html

Dog lovers around the world are outraged at the Dublin City Council in Ireland for enacting one of the most Draconian breed bans in recent memory.

According to a report in Ireland.com, Dublin has banned eleven different dog breeds from Dublin City Council properties - meaning public housing.

The Dublin Breed Ban includes (but is not limited to):

English Bull Terriers
Staffordshire Bull Terriers
American Pit Bull Terriers
German Shepherds (Alsatian)
Rottweilers
Dobermans
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Japanese Akitas
Bull Mastiffs
Bandogs
Japanese Tosas

CLICK THE LINK ABOVE TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE.

angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2007 4:03:49 PM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

What???? Pits have been banned since 1991 but gsds??
What about police dogs! And there hasn't been anything about this on the news..

AMGR
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2007 7:11:09 PM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Staffordshire Bull Terriers
Rottweilers
Dobermans
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Japanese Akitas
Bull Mastiffs
Japanese Tosas
I disagree with them all, but ESPECIALLY these.

Its very unfair. In all my years with dogs, Ive never come across a nasty rottie. Ever. Sterotypes are not nice.
 Tyr
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2007 2:00:21 AM reply with quote send message to Tyr Object to Post

It's a social housing ban and it's positvely evil.
Dublin t a couple of really good shows every year
Lets hope evey one boycotts them in protest!
I work for a socail housing association in the uk,and I can tell you thet the problems are caused by JELOUSY,not Dogs.
Sue
 Sundabish Neos
Basic User

Basic User
7/18/2007 6:10:10 PM reply with quote send message to Sundabish Neos Object to Post

IT IS STUPID I OWN BULLMASTIFFS AND THEY HAVE TOP TEMPERAQMENTS THEY WOULD LICK YOU TO DEATH NO ANYTHING ALSE TO BE HONEST I WAS AT A BULLMASTIUFF SHOW THE OTHER DAY AND A LABRADOR TRIED ATTACKING THE BULLMASTIFFS MY LOT DIDNT EVEN LOOK NOW IF THAT IS DANGERIOUS MY NAME IS DAVID LETTERMAN. IM OUTRAGED BY THE LAW AND IF DOGS ARE REARED WELL THEN THEY WOULD NOT BE LETHAL.

I HAVE WRITTEN TO THE KC ABOUT THIS AND SO HAS MY BREED CLUB!!!

DAN AND ALL AT SUNDABISH
 Pedigree Testing
Basic User

Basic User
7/26/2007 1:24:34 PM reply with quote send message to Pedigree Testing Object to Post

Yannis
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2007 1:36:49 PM reply with quote send message to Yannis Object to Post

It's funny but true in my experience - The Shih Tzu is far more likely than any of the breeds listed to have a go. They are very territorial Tibetan Temple Guard dogs, and can be just as aggressive as any dog if threatened. ( although i know 99% are very sweet lap dogs)

My mother has one of the 1% and he scares the daylights out of my two German Shepherds when he feels like it. If he has a "mood" on him I won't go near my mum's Shih Tzu. If my GSD is guarding a toy or whatever I speak firmly to the dog and the situation is over - not so with a stubborn shih Tzu let me tell you!

If councils are worried about dogs why don't they bring back dog licenses. I don't see why we shouldn't have them it would make the life of genuine animal lovers/owners and charities a lot easier.
 Shabadagar Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2007 2:51:23 PM reply with quote send message to Shabadagar Kennels Object to Post

I agree that people should have licences to own dogs. They should prove they are capable of caring and conrolling the dog.

I dont think by banning these breeds they are saying the breeds have bad temperaments. I think they have been banned as people who want a dog that will scare people and possibly use the dogs to attack people are more attracted to them. The breeds are also capable of doing more damage if they are nasty, due to thier locking jaws/ size. Any dog can attack someone, but these breeds could to more damage if they wanted to.

Its just a shame people do not treat dogs fairly/ train them correctly so they dont end up mauling people in the first place.
 teiwaz2002
Basic User

Basic User
8/20/2007 3:06:59 PM reply with quote send message to teiwaz2002 Object to Post

I don't think licences will be the answer,What I would like to see is compulsery traning classes for would-be first time owners and compulsary training classes for all dog owners Up to and including K.C.G.S Bronze award.
We need to train the owners to be responable owners before they are allowed to own a four pawed one
Sue
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2007 7:21:20 AM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

Even if there were compulsory training classes and licenses would work but there would still be people who ignore the rules and treat dogs badly

AMGR
 Short dog
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2007 8:56:40 AM reply with quote send message to Short dog Object to Post

posted by Yannis
It's funny but true in my experience - The Shih Tzu is far more likely than any of the breeds listed to have a go. They are very territorial Tibetan Temple Guard dogs, and can be just as aggressive as any dog if threatened. ( although i know 99% are very sweet lap dogs)

My mother has one of the 1% and he scares the daylights out of my two German Shepherds when he feels like it. If he has a "mood" on him I won't go near my mum's Shih Tzu. If my GSD is guarding a toy or whatever I speak firmly to the dog and the situation is over - not so with a stubborn shih Tzu let me tell you!

If councils are worried about dogs why don't they bring back dog licenses. I don't see why we shouldn't have them it would make the life of genuine animal lovers/owners and charities a lot easier.

It just goes to show you that it is not the size, it's the attitude lol.
 angus my golden retriver
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2007 5:18:20 AM reply with quote send message to angus my golden retriver Object to Post

Nows theres been calls for it in welsh council houses!
Check out www.ourdogs.co.uk and click on news its on that list

AMGR
 HBchampcolliekennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/29/2007 1:42:31 PM reply with quote send message to HBchampcolliekennels Object to Post

Im a big supporter of 'punish the deed not the breed'.

I TOTALLY disagree with these breeds especially:
Rottweilers
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Japanese Akitas
Bull Mastiffs
Japanese Tosas

ANY breed regardless of gender or pedigree can attack. You'll find most of the time that the animal in question has either had a bad upbringing, trained innapropriately, or not been introduced to a new scenario eg. a baby or another pet properly. Banning certain breeds wont stamp this out.

Im NOT saying ban dogs at all; i love dogs, i own three Irish Setters and many friends have dogs. Im simply saying that that ban is ludicrous. We owe a LOT to breeds like german shepards and rottweilers; they've saved many lives, and they do it evey day.

Hannah @ HB
 Open Fields
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2007 7:19:00 AM reply with quote send message to Open Fields Object to Post

tru ive atually been saved by a german shepherd i wont go into it but if it wasnt there i wouldnt be here so i owe my life to them really and dogs are like humans there all different even if there the same breed
 articblizzard
Basic User

Basic User
9/25/2007 10:35:36 AM reply with quote send message to articblizzard Object to Post

The ban is only for dogs and owners within the city centre that do not have there dogs micro chipped etc, as I live in Dublin and I own one of those breeds that are banned I was astonished!! If you can imagine the scenario of of inner city Dublin "Flats" with german shepard dogs running loose around, the council has no control. It is without dought the owners fault. A gsd should not be living in a flat anyway. If the dog is micro chipped and registered it is fine and will not be taken away.

In regards to the showing in Ireland, yes we do have good shows here, but boycotting them will do nothing other than harm the entry level and competitiveness of the show, the IKC has already released there press release which can be read at www.ikc.ie.....
 animal_angel
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2007 11:48:06 AM reply with quote send message to animal_angel Object to Post

if they had brains, they would realise that the rest of the world use Alsations to save people,
after what the breed has done to help, they do not deserve to be destroyed, nor do any of the other breeds on that list!!!!
 amanicke
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2007 3:17:11 PM reply with quote send message to amanicke Object to Post

Is this included in Northern Ireland?My friend has a cross-breed of 3 of them and my uncle has 3 of those breeds too.this is pathetic.my uncles dog are the most good tempered dogs i've ever met.
 articblizzard
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2007 8:56:46 AM reply with quote send message to articblizzard Object to Post

No because Northen Ireland is part of Great Britain? and Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland....
 articblizzard
Basic User

Basic User
10/11/2007 9:04:37 AM reply with quote send message to articblizzard Object to Post

I really dont think you are getting the clear picture here, this would never of happened if the qwners cared for there dogs in the first place, and it is only going to happen to dogs living in the inner city. Sure the police here use Alsations as there police dogs. I do agree that its gone abit over board, but the fact that a little boy was mauled to death by two rottweilers really didn't help, I have one myself and wouldn't let him out wandering the strrets by himself, and yes he is a perfectly good natured dog that we show and is doing really well, but he is still intimidating to other people. Also the dogs that are doing this have mainly come from very bad breeding lines and could be more than likely inbred. Its sad to see but really it comes down to socio economic factor and to put it bluntly, the lower class thugs having the tough looking dog and not taking care of it. They are the people to point the finger at.
 Kliazma
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2007 4:42:28 AM reply with quote send message to Kliazma Object to Post

I really don't agree with the animals being blammed for people's riddiculous actions.

I know a rottie called Holly who was previously used as a bait dog until she was rescued. She has no tail, not even a stump... nothing, scars covering her chest and part of her ear missing. Yet despite all that, she is the most loving and trusting dog you could ever meet. She's fantastic with young children, strangers, men and women alike.

On the other hand, at a dog show my sammie Jazz was bitten by a saluki.

My point is, as above shown, it is simply not the breed to blame. Any dog has the potiential to be dangerous, it's solely down to the upbringing and breed lines of that particular dog.

Punish the deed, Not the breed.
 animal_angel
Basic User

Basic User
10/19/2007 10:12:22 AM reply with quote send message to animal_angel Object to Post

banning any dog breeds is useless.
it will not help anything.
for example,
banning makes of cars will not reduce the number of car accidents.
if most accidents were caused by fords, banning a ford wont help, its the driver that ought to be punished or helped.
in the same way breeds cant be banned, it is how they are raised, and under what circumstances they attack.

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
An obedience trial is a dog sport in which a dog must perfectly execute a predefined set of tasks when directed to do so by his handler