Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 14

Author Topic : What does it take to breed real life dogs?
 Gladiators
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/11/2007 4:59:30 PM reply with quote send message to Gladiators Object to Post   

Hey to all you real life breeders out there in the wide world of Aus. I would really like to breed real dogs one day (in the distant future), and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or information on how to go about it?
 paris_doggy22
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2007 1:01:43 AM reply with quote send message to paris_doggy22 Object to Post

Well,
I have a toy poodle and she is going to breed.
First, you have to wait until she has her first heat. a heat is where blood comes out their bum. Then you have to get a male dog for her a few months later, then in her second heat, she will start getting fat and all her tits will grow and she will have pups (sooner or later)!
 Pedigree Testing
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2007 1:57:40 AM reply with quote send message to Pedigree Testing Object to Post

Well thats a less mature way lol, well heat is like the womans period, blood, lots of it lol.
Then ATPAM said, find a suitable stud, after mating you may not start no notice anything, keep feeling around her and see if there i puppy movements, mind that will take a while

Things to look for- they look as if they are smilling, there eyes look prouder than ever.
 Whispering Willows Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2007 3:22:31 AM reply with quote send message to Whispering Willows Kennel Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

lmao that the funniest explanation ive heard. does that mean pups come from their bum? sorry i couldnt help myself. hehehe
 Gladiators
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2007 7:08:36 PM reply with quote send message to Gladiators Object to Post

Thanks for the tips guys
 Canadienne
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2007 7:19:44 PM reply with quote send message to Canadienne Object to Post

An excellent article on the not-so-fun parts of breeding:
www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

The ethics of breeding:
www.dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

And another huge list of breeding articles:
lowchensaustralia.com/breeding.htm#beforebr

Rijbakluva
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2007 3:26:33 AM reply with quote send message to Rijbakluva Object to Post

posted by paris_doggy22
Well,
First, you have to wait until she has her first heat. a heat is where blood comes out their bum. Then you have to get a male dog for her a few months later, then in her second heat, she will start getting fat and all her tits will grow and she will have pups (sooner or later)!

hahaha!!! "out of her bum" - so funny! :P

sorry - just had to laugh :P
 Blue Illusions
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2007 6:37:00 AM reply with quote send message to Blue Illusions Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Breeding may sound as easy as waiting "until a few months after blood comes out of your dogs bum" (LOL), but there is far more knowledge required to breed succesfully and properly.

First of all, you need to decide what you are going to breed for (conformation, herding etc.). If your answer to this question is "for money" or "because my dog will make cute puppies" then forget it altogether, and go and adopt a cute puppy from the shelter. Breeding rarely makes any profit, and there are far too many risks involved to just breed your dog for the heck of it - not to mention the already overcrowded shelters.

If you decide that you want to breed for conformation etc, you need to then decide on a breed, do ALOT of research, then contact a reputable breeder. If you have chosen a good breeder, they should be willing to tell you further details.

Ltlpistol Farms
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2007 9:02:52 AM reply with quote send message to Ltlpistol Farms Object to Post

posted by paris_doggy22
Well,

You should never breed a dog on her first heat. She's usually only 6 months old at that time. Let her grow up and mature, wait till the second or third heat. Also, you will need to have a good vet already knowledgeable about the dog, because you will need to have her checked out to make sure she will be able to breed. There are several articles on the web, to read about what you really should know before you breed.
 Jessie and Kellys Collies
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2007 9:28:45 AM reply with quote send message to Jessie and Kellys Collies Object to Post

Well, you need a male and a female whom are not neutured or spayed...

Read up on heats etc. And the 'rest' of it should be easy to figure if you have ever had a biology lesson at school...
 Rain Case Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
4/25/2008 9:20:39 PM reply with quote send message to Rain Case Kennels Object to Post

Im not all Aussie but part,yes part,anywho,my American Bulldog just had Puppies and bred with our pit,nine of them,we didnt know she was in heat,but they are gorgeaous
 Razorback Ridges
Basic User

Basic User
4/28/2008 2:34:44 AM reply with quote send message to Razorback Ridges Object to Post

posted by Rain Case Kennels
Im not all Aussie but part,yes part,anywho,my American Bulldog just had Puppies and bred with our pit,nine of them,we didnt know she was in heat,but they are gorgeaous
How could you not know your dog wasn't in season? It's a bit hard not to miss blood and a huge swollen vagina.
Rachael
 Rain Case Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2008 10:45:17 AM reply with quote send message to Rain Case Kennels Object to Post

She wasnt showing any symptoms(dont ask me either,I dont live with my mom)
 Ltlpistol Farms
Basic User

Basic User
5/5/2008 3:28:22 PM reply with quote send message to Ltlpistol Farms Object to Post

Some dogs simply don't pass blood when in heat. Our only sign that Cookie is in heat is when Cash starts following her with his nose up her butt.
 Tartantown Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
5/17/2008 8:40:10 PM reply with quote send message to Tartantown Kennels Object to Post

Oh dear that first post about the Poodle *rolls eyes*

*Find a responsible registered breeder who you would like a dog from and ask them to be your mentor.

*Learn all you can about your chosen breed and breeding. (A lot of this will come from experience, books will not prepare you entirely for your puppies, many problems come with breeding dogs)

*DO ALL RELEVANT HEALTH TESTING FOR YOUR BREED (This may include hips/elbows, PRA etc)

*Just because you have a registered pure bred does not mean it is of breeding quality. The best thing to do is get out to shows and get honest opinions on the bitch from judges and breeders. And DONT be offended if it isnt want you want to hear.

*Depending on the breed, most bitches are bred on their 2nd (small breed) or 3-4 heat cycle (larger breeds) DO NOT breed the bitch on her first heat cycle *rolls eyes again*

*Research stud dogs and pedigrees. Just because you have a female and someone else has a male doesnt mean they would suit each other. Your bitches pedigree and physical faults can be improved in the puppies if you chose a stud dog wisely (always ask your breeder for stud dog recommendations, they DO know best!)

*Be prepared for a litter. You will need money and lots of it incase something goes wrong. Prepare blankets, food, whelping kit, whelping box etc

I am shocked at some of the responses the original poster got. It is not as easy as breeding a male and female together and getting cute bundles of puppies. This is why so many dogs end up in shelters *Rolls eyes for a third time*

Replies in this thread : 14

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.