Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 15

Author Topic : Christmas and NYE in NYC
 me__0021
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
7/13/2008 12:26:40 AM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post   

Hi,

I'm from Australia, but will be coming to NYC (my 2nd visit) for 2 weeks during the Christmas NYE period this year. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about great places to go or see. I've already got a list of typical tourist stuff (partly from last time, but I'm bringing a friend who has never been to the US), and am looking for stuff specifically to do with Christmas and New Years.

Additionally, any ideas about great places to eat/shop, would be muchly appreciated.

Jessica
 Brutally Honest
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 8:05:27 AM reply with quote send message to Brutally Honest Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I live on Long Island, about 30 minutes from the city and I can give you a few things that I usually do around Xmas time.

If you're coming around for Christmas time I would suggest seeing the Christmas Spectular at Radio City. It's fun and a great show for the holiday spirit. happy :)
christmas.radiocity.com/

Rockafeller Center is a great spot for the tree lighting, and they have an ice skating rink right around it. It's a huge tree and very pretty when all lit up.
gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/p/rockcentertree.htm

For food there's a few places that I like but I've never really been to the "fancy" expensive places, but these places are fun.

Planet Hollywood
www.planethollywood.com/restaurants_newYork.htm
If you're a movie goer you'll like this because theres all types of movie props in cases around you when you eat.

Stardust Diner
A 1950's themed diner, very fun! The staff actually sings/dances all around the diner while you eat. Sometimes they call up customers as well. happy :) www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

Jekyll & Hyde
The Restaurant Is themes like an old Horror film, it's very different and cool. The waiters and waitresses are all dressed up like creepy butlers, and they do scare some people.
www.jekyllpub.com/jekyllpub/index1.html

I've never been here but supposidly it's legendary.
www.carnegiedeli.com

Oh and remember, almost all pizza in NYC is delicious! The corner stands with nuts, hot dogs, and chicken skewers look dirty but the food is generally delicious so live a little!

Other things to do and shopping
Museum of Natural History-I really like it, but be prepared to spend a lot of time here, it's HUGE! Plus it's right across from central park.
www.amnh.org/

Central Park Zoo- small but cute, and pretty cheap. Eat beforehand though, as the cafe and such is pretty expensive.
nyzoosandaquarium.com/

Bodies Museum- I'm not sure if you're squimish but even if yuou are this is a really really cool museum. It's also located at South Street Seaport- a great shopping area.
www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

Other places to shop include Canal Street and Chinatown. happy :)
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions I can try to help my best. happy :)
~Kate

edited to add that the Museum Of Natural History puts up a huge christmas tree made of origami animals around Christmas time. =)
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 8:10:12 AM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

Jekyll and Hyde is probably the biggest tourist ripoff in all the city laugh :D

This deli (Kat'z) also has more tradition and fame behind it and I love this place:

www.katzdeli.com/

I agree with Kate on most things said but not museum. I hate that museum with a passion. MoMA is more practical and beautiful. We do trips once a month for the attractions.

www.moma.org/
 Brutally Honest
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 8:49:06 AM reply with quote send message to Brutally Honest Object to Post

Haha, I'm more of a history person person so that's probably why I enjoy it.(I like the dinosaur bones, artifacts, etc) The MoMa's nicer now, they re-did it a little while ago I believe. I don't recall Jekyll and Hyde being that expensive but it might've changed over the years.
~Kate
Oh and you could try the Hard Rock cafe as well, though I never personally been there to eat. Youc an pretty much shop on every street and ave depending on what you're looking for.
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 9:28:42 AM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

If you are up for a gamble, try TKTS:

www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

TKTS Discount Booths offer tickets to Broadway and Off-Broadway musicals and plays at up to 50% off. They operate three booths in New York City

1. The Times Square Booth sells day-of-performance tickets only.

2. The South Street Seaport Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before.

3. The Downtown Brooklyn Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before as well tickets to Brooklyn performing arts events.

TKTS Times Square accepts only cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates. Both TKTS Seaport and TKTS Downtown Brooklyn accept credit cards, cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates.

All locations sell tickets at 50%, 35%, and 25% off full-price (plus a $4.00 per ticket service charge, which helps support other TDF services and programs). Availability and ticket inventory change throughout the day and at the discretion of individual productions.

Last week, tickets were available for the following events:

ON BROADWAY -

A CATERED AFFAIR
A CHORUS LINE
ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S THE 39 STEPS
AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
AVENUE Q
BOEING-BOEING
CHICAGO
CIRQUE DREAMS
GREASE
GYPSY
HAIRSPRAY
LEGALLY BLONDE
MAMMA MIA!
MARY POPPINS
MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT
NOVEMBER
PASSING STRANGE
RENT
SPRING AWAKENING
SUNDAY IN THE PARK GEORGE
THE COUNTRY GIRL
THE LITTLE MERMAID
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
THURGOOD
XANADU
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

OFF-BROADWAY -

A BRUSH WITH GEORGIA O'KEEFE
A PERFECT COUPLE
ADDING MACHINE
ALTAR BOYZ
BASH'D
DON REED'S EAST 14TH
FUERZABRUTA
GAZILLION BUBBLE SHOW
JACKIE MASON: THE ULTIMATE JEW
JUMP
MY MOTHER'S ITALIAN, MY FATHER'S JEWISH
PERFECT CRIME
SOME AMERICANS ABROAD
STOMP
THE FANTASTIKS
THE MARRIAGE OF BETTE & BOO
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
7/13/2008 9:38:34 AM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

Hubby and I attended "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol" last year:

www.offoffonline.com/theaters.php?id=297

It's off-off-Broadway LOL... and it was ever so GRAND! The "theatre" seats only 99 persons, and it is a toned-down, in the round, very imaginative production, without numerous props, etc. The actors really pulled it off!

We would go back again (location was at 312 West 36th Street - 3rd Floor, New York City, NY 10018) if it is offered this year, so you may want to put it on your schedule!

happy :) TJC
 seawood
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2008 5:52:06 PM reply with quote send message to seawood Object to Post

I'm in NYC!!!! My favorite broadway shows are- In the Heights, South Pacific and Curtains. You definitely want to visit brooklyn, and ikea! It's fun to look around there. you can even take a shuttle bus from borough hall. Smith Street is nice too. Get a hot dog! Soho is awesome! Shopping in soho. I live in brooklyn, so I know brooklyn. But, ask people on the streets, maps can be hard to follow, and you'd be surprised how nice people are.
 seawood
Basic User

Basic User
7/14/2008 5:53:22 PM reply with quote send message to seawood Object to Post

OMG, how could I forget. Da vinci's right, Katz' is a traditional jewish deli I grew up with, and you NEED to go to juniors. When you go for a splurge on your diet.
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
7/15/2008 4:23:05 AM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

posted by seawood
OMG, how could I forget. Da vinci's right, Katz' is a traditional jewish deli I grew up with, and you NEED to go to juniors. When you go for a splurge on your diet.
Junior's = CHEESECAKE!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/16/2008 3:04:58 AM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I' planning on visiting a gorgeous pizza place around 72nd street that was showed to me last time.

I too am a history buff, and after teaching my students about the Museum of Natural History, am really looking forward to visiting it. (Last time we didn't go, as our next stop Washington).

I'm particularly interested in anyones ideas about New Years Eve, where to go, and veneues with views of Times Square, but a toilet!

I plan on seeing Wicked while I'm there (saw it last week in Melbourne and LOVED it!) so any advice on getting really good tickets would be great.

I'm so looking forward to this trip, thanks guys!

Jessica
 Da Vinci
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2008 6:16:36 AM reply with quote send message to Da Vinci Object to Post

I plan on seeing Wicked while I'm there (saw it last week in Melbourne and LOVED it!) so any advice on getting really good tickets would be great.
Wicked (and also "In the Heights"wink ;) are like super difficult to get tickets to... or at least when I tried. In The Heights is the 2008 Tony Awards Best Musical Winner so you know why ticket sales for them went up over the few months the show has been out...
 Magickal Destiny
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2008 6:27:11 AM reply with quote send message to Magickal Destiny Object to Post

posted by me__0021

I'm so looking forward to this trip, thanks guys!

Jessica

If you want a sure thing, your best bet would be to contact the theatre directly and offer to buy full-price tiickets by credit card well in advance for the date you want! Otherwise, it's a gamble you may not win!

Brutally Honest
Basic User

Basic User
7/16/2008 8:37:01 AM reply with quote send message to Brutally Honest Object to Post

Too be honest, I'm not sure of any really good places to watch the ball drop in Times Square. As far as I know, Times Square becomes an animal house on New Years. =P
~Kate
 me__0021
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/23/2008 5:58:21 PM reply with quote send message to me__0021 Object to Post

Well the tickets to Wicked are sorted, as is a tour to Woodbury Commons (I love to shop!), the only thing that is problematic at the moment is a hotel ... but hopefully that will be sorted in the next week or so, if not today!

I think maybe if our hotel is close to Times Square it might be worthwhile just staying in ... although I've heard that fire works in central park are pretty cool, and maybe it'll be less crowded.

Thanks for all the responses,

Jessica
 seawood
Basic User

Basic User
7/23/2008 10:42:32 PM reply with quote send message to seawood Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Come stay with us! lol. I'm a brooklynite, I have no idea about hotels in times square, all I can say is don't take a crap hotel like 'holiday inn, etc.'

ETA: I just came back from 'South Pacific' it was amazing, I highly suggest you try to see it.
 me_rox
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2008 4:23:32 PM reply with quote send message to me_rox Object to Post

Oh my gosh, you have to go to M and M world! (u know the little candy, M and M's.)it is so awesome!

Replies in this thread : 15

Did you know?
At least two wins must be a set of three or more points ("majors"), under two different judges; at least one additional win under a third judge is also required.