Search

.com Forum · Sporting Breeds

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Real life sporting breeds
 RoyalStar
Basic User
Forum Moderator

System.__ComObject Forum Moderator
8/16/2008 1:57:34 AM reply with quote send message to RoyalStar Object to Post   

Alright guys, let's step away from the game for a moment and talk dogs! happy :) Who else on the SGB has one (or more) sporting breed dogs in real life? I have 3 Weimaraners myself (and 5 Alaskan Klee Kai, and on Shih Tzu...and 4 cats, 2 ferrets, and 2 horses - LOL!) My older Weim girls, Brindy (7 1/2) and Akina (6) are both spayed, never shown. Brindy was a rescue of sorts. I take both of them hunting. Brindy is a therapy dog. My youngest Weim, Eve (just turned 1 year on August 12th!), is the second Weim I've shown. (My first show Weim was my handsome gooberhead boy, Chevy, whom I lost to bloat 3 years ago.)

If anyone's interested in seeing my (real) dogs, my website is: royalstarestates.webs.com

Now - who else has sporting dogs in real life? Let's introduce our dogs and swap stories! happy :)
 Boondocks
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2008 9:56:46 PM reply with quote send message to Boondocks Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

user wiped their message
 Charmed Champion Show Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2008 10:46:06 PM reply with quote send message to Charmed Champion Show Dogs Object to Post

I have a lab =]

Here's my goofball!

She's no show lab, but she's an absolute excellent hunter weighing in at about 40 pounds lol happy :)
 honcho
Basic User

Basic User
8/17/2008 11:46:42 PM reply with quote send message to honcho Object to Post

My whole house is all sporting dogs. One yellow lab, one chocolate lab two 10 week old black lab puppies.
Two liver and white springers and a black and white springer. And the one liver and white springer staying with us while we are breeding her.
 RoyalStar
Basic User
Forum Moderator

Basic User Forum Moderator
8/18/2008 2:21:43 AM reply with quote send message to RoyalStar Object to Post

posted by Boondocks
I have 6 English Cocker Spaniels. ... I also hunt and track with them as well.
yukon

Kudos to you for doing what your dogs were actually bred do to (aka hunting). I see so many breeders that do conformation *only*.
 YukonGoldECS
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 2:15:57 PM reply with quote send message to YukonGoldECS Object to Post

posted by RoyalStar
posted by Boondocks
yukon

Kudos to you for doing what your dogs were actually bred do to (aka hunting). I see so many breeders that do conformation *only*.

Thanks, There are a couple breeders that frown upon a dog that does it all. They prefer conformation only. I prefer an all around dog, that means I get to take them more places, and do alot more things with them.

Yukon

Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 3:24:50 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

posted by YukonGoldECS
posted by RoyalStar
posted by Boondocks
yukon

Thanks, There are a couple breeders that frown upon a dog that does it all. They prefer conformation only. I prefer an all around dog, that means I get to take them more places, and do alot more things with them.

Yukon

Breeders the frown upon a verstile dog?? Honestly. I will be starting tracking/agility/feild training with Dyna once I have her hips/elbows certified after she is done growing. I dont understand people like that. They are sporting dogs for a very good reason.Not to just sit at home and look pretty.
 RoyalStar
Basic User
Forum Moderator

8/19/2008 8:56:22 PM reply with quote send message to RoyalStar Object to Post

The only breeds that I *can't* see that should still do what they were originally bred to do are those that were bred for fighting. However - in reality, they should still be *capable* of doing this, just not do it! (Does that make sense?) They should have the stamina and drive and structure, but should have a different job to substitute for the fighting (like weight pull). Many of the breeds bred for fighting are tenacious, driven, and have an iron will to complete whatever job they are given, and have a great capacity for work in a variety of venues.

Hrmm...okay, I guess we should bring this back to sporting dogs. LOL I guess it's somewhat similar that even if a sporting dog does not actually hunt, they should have the *ability* to do so - and the owners can find another outlet for the dog if they so choose. (Agility, tracking, search and rescue, etc.) I really don't care for dogs that have absolutely no instincts or drive to do the job they were CREATED to do.
 RoyalStar
Basic User
Forum Moderator

8/19/2008 8:58:09 PM reply with quote send message to RoyalStar Object to Post

Charmed - your dog looks somewhat similar to my brother's pit/most likely Lab mix, Truck. Same color, looks like same kind of coat, similar body style. Only he has the blockier head and his ears stand straight up like a shepherd's. LOL
 Charmed Champion Show Dogs
Basic User

Basic User
8/19/2008 9:50:36 PM reply with quote send message to Charmed Champion Show Dogs Object to Post

lol yeaa, she is one goofy looking lab I'm always having to tell people she's not a puppy anymore. Because they automatically think lab 70 pounds plus. And she isn't even breaking 50, but isn't skinny, she's just incredibly fit. =]

Despite her size she's willing to take on any bird, she's loves hunting!!
 *Shenanigans*
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/20/2008 7:51:36 PM reply with quote send message to *Shenanigans* Object to Post

user wiped their message
 Mississippi Muds
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2008 7:41:12 PM reply with quote send message to Mississippi Muds Object to Post

My dog is a mutt, but the day I got her, she saw a bird and just lit up. I think she might have some Golden Retriever in her, but I also think neither of her parents are purebred. Her small size and willingness to learn while being a little stinker made me look into Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, and I think if I ever bought a dog from a breeder, that's what I'd get.

Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/4/2008 7:35:07 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

We've got 3 Pointers (hopefully will be 4 soon) and the Dober-wanna be a Pointer-man.
We dont hunt, mainly because I dont have the time or experience to do so, but they have manners happy :) LOL. I'm training my youngest Pointer boy for Rally and Obedience...maybe tracking if I get brave and find the time (but hey, what else is there to do next year when hubby deploys again!?!?!) We just try to keep them busy.

All my dogs (plus puppies from our last litter) can be seen on my website: www.imageevent.com/grandiose
 KadenceKennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/14/2008 7:00:20 PM reply with quote send message to KadenceKennels Object to Post

we have 5 gsps at home but in AKC we usually have several client dogs: 2-3 goldens, 2-3 brittanys, 2-3 labs, 5-6 gsps, 1 viszla, sometimes a cocker.
then we have terriers and sometimes a dobe or a sammy
 .Envoy.
Basic User

Basic User
9/19/2008 2:52:38 PM reply with quote send message to .Envoy. Object to Post

I co-own a pointer w/ grandiose (^^) shes pretty cool
 justice kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/21/2008 2:37:15 PM reply with quote send message to justice kennels Object to Post

Hi

I have 4 am. cockers spaniels 3 of which are titled champions american and/or canadian.

I show them in conformation and breed.

Steph
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2008 7:10:24 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

I currently have 6 Curly-Coated Retrievers and a Border Collie JRT mix.

I have had Curlies since 1981.

All 6 of mine have a breeds hunting title, the WC. All but one play or have played Flyball, all have Dock Jumping titles and most are multi title ( as you can see from the banne ron my Showdog kennel ).

My mix also is multi titled.

I have had Labs for short times, while raising 4 for Guide Dogs of America. 3 of the 4 became Guide dogs.

Steph
 Bayside Pups
Basic User

Basic User
10/6/2008 7:37:56 PM reply with quote send message to Bayside Pups Object to Post

Well let's see here i have a 130 lb Black Lab (FYI hes not fat just big boned English Lab) he just has good manners and watchdog abilities. I also have a small 55 lb Chocolate Lab she is my very obidient but yet hard headed hunter. I trained her myself and when you say "dead bird" she goes nuts trying to find it. She also is super fast...she could be a flyball dog. I am looking into brittany's for conformation, hunting, agility, and whatever else.
 Prima
Basic User

Basic User
10/7/2008 9:34:00 AM reply with quote send message to Prima Object to Post

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

I have 2 yellow labs and usually a retriever foster dog. Before that I had and showed AM Cockers in Breed and OB. happy :)
Attached is my older boy. He is AKC. I call him a tweener though because he is tall like a field Lab but is stocky and blocky like an English. He weighs in good at about 104lb no fat!!!

a176.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/24/m_2257b3b5b72e399e5fbf7bcc3acf5dff.jpg
 WeimsRus
Basic User

Basic User
1/26/2009 8:18:59 AM reply with quote send message to WeimsRus Object to Post

My girl Portabella, AKA Bella, and some of her pups and happy new owners. Oh Pearl, Bull Terrier, and some of my rescues.

s38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/WeimsRus/

s38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/WeimsRus/?start=20

It's all for the breed, Weims.
 DawnGlow Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
2/21/2009 5:04:25 PM reply with quote send message to DawnGlow Kennels Object to Post

Who is the father of Bella's puppies?

I show sporting dogs happy :) Mostly English cockers, I have shown quite a few weims, setters (all of them) and multiple other breeds. I LOVE Clumber spaniels, they are one of my favorites happy :)

Joann

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
In the United Kingdom, the international championship show Crufts was first held in 1891.