Search

.com Forum · Australian Forum

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Kennel Cough in Victoria
 verdadeiro
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/27/2008 3:20:50 AM reply with quote send message to verdadeiro Object to Post   

I am sooooooooooo angry right now.

After taking my dogs to KCC Park weekend before last- they now have kennel cough- I dont know why people cant leave well enough alone and think of others before subjecting the population to the condition.

I had Edge in this weekend coming under a Japanese judge (where there were whispers I could take the group) and now Im not going due to this- wish I knew who it was that was there- they could reimburse me for the wasted entry fees ... grrrrrrrrrrrr

This isnt the first case I have heard of from there either- a golden Driftway labrador I used to handle got it from the same place. And a few years ago there was an exhibitor that had a giant schnauzer die after contracting Kennel Cough at the melbourne royal.

I think people who drag their dogs off to these things should be made to pay- I get my vets bill for the treatment on saturday- so add that to the money lost on entries, and I could be looking at hundreds- NOT HAPPY JAN

Thanks for letting me rant
Robyn
 trentskennel2
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2008 8:19:53 AM reply with quote send message to trentskennel2 Object to Post

Kennel Cough goes around here in vancouver to.

Why don't you just get your dogs vaccinated for it? Especially if you know its present in the area? The vaccination is only like $20
 Wildsyde
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2008 9:16:58 AM reply with quote send message to Wildsyde Object to Post

trents, the vax often doesn't work. A relative does the vax about every 6 months yet her dogs inevitably get KC. I give mine one when they're a pup then don't bother after that, yet none have ever once gotten KC despite constant exposure to outside dogs, they've gotten natural immunity.

The KC shots (snorter or stick) are kinda like a cold shot. They help against only a small number of strains, not all of the many many strains out there that a dog can catch.
 verdadeiro
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2008 4:27:45 PM reply with quote send message to verdadeiro Object to Post

My dogs are vaccinated against it- which is why Im so angry- as were the dogs that died from it and the Lab.

Ive also got a nasty dose of "The Flu" so definately more cranky than usual lol

Robyn
 trentskennel2
Basic User

Basic User
8/27/2008 5:56:53 PM reply with quote send message to trentskennel2 Object to Post

Interesting. Would have been nice to know that the KC vaccination doesn't protect against all strains. I get it because its required for training classes
 Wondai
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2008 12:52:32 AM reply with quote send message to Wondai Object to Post

Dogs will still get the virus, but with the vax will stop the full on effects of the virus.
Just like the flu vax in humans, its only to prevent you from getting full blown.
Kelly

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.