.com Forum · Herding Breeds

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Aussie pregnancy
 Irish7
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/21/2008 1:30:47 PM reply with quote send message to Irish7 Object to Post   

I have a female Australian Shepherd that was recently mated. I am not a professional breeder and need to get as much info on caring for my Aussie now that she may be pregnant. I have conducted numerous searches online, but there are very few resources I've found that touch on this. Can anyone suggest information sources, and let me know how soon and in what way I can be certain that she is pregnant?
 tomcat1
Basic User

Basic User
11/21/2008 2:04:01 PM reply with quote send message to tomcat1 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Oh dear. You've come at this totally back to front, but now you're at this stage, this should help.

Buy "The Book of the Bitch" by JM Evans and Kay White. It is a bitch owners bible, and will explain a lot of stuff for you. both pre and post whelping (presuming your bitch is pregnant).

These may help too:
www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2109&aid=900

www.akc.org/breeders/resp_breeding/Articles/careandfeeding.cfm

www.2ndchance.info/pregnantdog.htm

Speak to your vet, as they can scan for pregnancy (exactly when can vary vet to vet) but it is not totally accurate. They can advise you on worming and other care of a bitch who is, or may be pregnant, along with care after whelping and getting a good relationship with them is vital, as you may need to call them out for all sorts of potential problems linked to whelping, pregnancy and newborns.

Your best source of help is your breeder, or another local, experienced breeder. You will almost certainly want to call on them around the due date, and possibly have them stay, in order to check and monitor for any whelping problems.
 Deejay
Basic User
Forum Moderator

Basic User Forum Moderator
11/22/2008 1:31:38 PM reply with quote send message to Deejay Object to Post

Please post on the RL show dog forum

Thanx

This thread is now closed

Replies in this thread : 2

Thread Closed

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class