Search

.com Forum · Obedience Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Help--Obedience!!
 jujupup
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/26/2009 9:06:41 AM reply with quote send message to jujupup Object to Post   

I've got a schnoodle who's a little over 3 years old. I know this forum is for obedience trials. But since I'd like to train agility (see Agility forum for another of my Help posts) my dog has got to be able to sit EXACTLY when I tell him to, lie down EXACTLY when I tell him to. And so far? Well, he's not doing too well on the "EXACTLY when I tell him to" part. I've been working on down some more but I need tips. I train with treats because this proves most effective. Any tips on how to get my schnoodle into an obedient canine? Really, anything would be good...

Oh, and while I'm here, does anyone know if you have to teach a dog the commands "left" and "right" for agility? If so...how?

Thanks,
-JJP

Wet Noses Happy Tails
Basic User

Basic User
11/11/2009 6:10:07 PM reply with quote send message to Wet Noses Happy Tails Object to Post

practice heeling and help them sit when you halt. You can do this by gently gliding your hand over his back and tucking under his rear.

In competative obedience you are able to take a few steps after the judge calls halt. I will start to slow down and take about 2 steps ater the judge calls halt.

If you have the opportunity to go to a trial and watch all of the classes novice to utility you will notice that the best handlers will slow down and gently come to a halt. You are trying to work WITH your dog and be a team. You don't want to be jogging and all of a sudden stop. There is no way a dog will stop that fast and be in possition.

work on heeling and say out loud "halt" and take a few slow steps and then stop.
 jbroo
Basic User

Basic User
12/15/2009 6:51:10 PM reply with quote send message to jbroo Object to Post

I would be be glad to help

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.