Search

.com Forum · Working Breeds

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : What do you think about Samoyeds?
 Crystal-Star
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/31/2009 7:48:54 PM reply with quote send message to Crystal-Star Object to Post   

I read in a book that some people think Samoyeds are angels sent down from heaven! I really want a Samoyed!
 4runner
Basic User

Basic User
11/20/2009 7:47:54 AM reply with quote send message to 4runner Object to Post

Not meaning to burst your bubble or anything, but I think they're a little nippy. I've never had one, but I have seen them in real life and to me they're pretty energetic. This is coming from a Pyr owner, so you might not want to go by someone who has a lazy huge dog.
 delti
Basic User

Basic User
5/4/2010 2:46:11 AM reply with quote send message to delti Object to Post

I've owned two purebreds and a Sibe/Sammy mix.

They can be a little nippy depending on how much they've been socialized.

They're definitely not the breed for everyone. They have a lot of energy and love to run. They're also highly intelligent, so if you don't entertain them, they'll entertain themselves. Generally, it won't be the kind of entertainment you'd want for them. If you don't have some way to exercise them every day (and I don't mean a 10 minute walk; before we moved to the city, my first Sammy would spend all day exploring the Colorado Rockies and still have the energy that night to tear up the couch). They're also escape artists, in need of tall (6 ft minimum), sturdy fencing.
 marleygirl
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2011 8:13:28 PM reply with quote send message to marleygirl Object to Post

i think they r sooooooooooooooooo cute
 kets99
Basic User

Basic User
2/2/2011 6:37:50 AM reply with quote send message to kets99 Object to Post

Hi, l have 3 samoyeds and they are very cool.But l know that samoyeds have very different temperaments. Some are very laizy and quiet, the others like to play and jump. You can teach him/her temperament just the way you like, cos' every samoyed love his/her owner the most and he/she is agree to do everything to like his/her owner.
 Dark Mirage
Basic User

Basic User
2/28/2011 10:24:16 AM reply with quote send message to Dark Mirage Object to Post

An old thread, I know, but I've had Sammies for years. A well-bred, well-raised Samoyed is a fabulous dog. They do need exercise and training, but they are gentle, affectionate, wonderful companions and fabulous with children. I have never met a well-bred Samoyed who would bite for any reason. They tend to remain 'puppy-like' for life, which I love.

They need proper grooming and coat care, especially when blowing coat, and the diet needs to be carefully managed so you don't ruin the coat or end up with a fat dog happy :) They can be destructive if you don't train or exercise them properly-- they love to dig, get into mischief, and entertain themselves if you don't do it for them. They are not a breed that you can trust off-lead, but enjoy a variety of activities-- mine like frisbee, weight pull, obedience, conformation, agility, herding, and carrying a pack while we go hiking.

SunshineyLioness
Basic User

Basic User
12/11/2012 8:28:24 AM reply with quote send message to SunshineyLioness Object to Post

We've had Samoyeds my whole life until a couple years ago. We're getting a new Sammy from a rescue in just a few days. If you want any info on them, just message me! laugh :D

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.