Search

.com Forum · American Forum

Replies in this thread : 34
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/2/2011 1:47:59 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

My only preference is for healthy happy puppers.
I have pure breeds I love (Pearl, CKCS is one of them, sister has one, dont get me started lol) in dogs and cats, have not ever had a dog but someday... only been saying that for half century lol

My cats have all been moggies, closest thing to pure was kitty 2 half Maine Coon, half 2/3 Himalayan 1/3 we think Siamese. Mom was bought as Himi from a shop by uncle and his wife but features were never extreme, nor was coat. Litter too after daddy, and my Sneaks was loving to all other kitties, "mothered" them all
ok time for bed, typos getting worse.

I dont think I would want a drooler but wouldnt leave it at the side of the road. Always living in condos and apts I would tend to go for medium/small dogs. really only preference is what I call wash and wear, pop them in sink, wash, blow dry, no clipping needed.

Who can say no to

I have a lot of paw pics of him lol
 Zeebles Finest Furries
Basic User

Basic User
1/3/2011 6:47:39 AM reply with quote send message to Zeebles Finest Furries Object to Post

I really want another dog...and I want a mutt named Smiley!!! (She is a great mix, Cur/Lab, I don not think we'll get her, but she rocks wink ;) Want her SOOO bad!!!) I like mutts and purebreds, as long as they're friendly and cute (like Smilie!)
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
1/7/2011 1:00:08 AM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

It is not true that mixes are healthier. Ask just about any long time groomer and they will tell you that they see at least an equal amount of health problem in mixes as they see in purebreds. I have groomed for over 30 years. I have seen mixes with horrid skin issues, throid, diabetes, ear problems, heart, eyes,cancer and knees are a huge issue right now with the malti and yorkie poos. People do not tend to get mixes health tested like the purebred "reputable" breeders do so there is actually no real stats to support the healthier Mixed Breed theory.

Steph
Who has 7 purebreds and 1 mix ( who's parents WERE health tested as were the pups before ever leaving for new homes )

Guiding Senjis
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/11/2011 12:43:16 AM reply with quote send message to Guiding Senjis Object to Post

Solimar I know when I am talking mixes I think Heinz 57's random mixes NOT designer breeds.
I think that is what most think of when thinking hybrid vigour
 Sassy Mutts
Basic User

Basic User
4/13/2011 4:10:14 PM reply with quote send message to Sassy Mutts Object to Post

To me it doesn't matter whether its a perfect purebred with papers or a random mutt from off the streets, as long as it is a really good dog.
I have a beagle with UKC papers, a dachshund(we think she's purebred, but arent sure), a a lab( hes like the dachshund). I LOVE my dogs and it would change it if they were all Heinz 57s. They are still really good dogs.
 Buckingham Palace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/23/2011 11:07:48 AM reply with quote send message to Buckingham Palace Kennels Object to Post

I guess I'll be the first to come right out and say it....Purebreds only please!
I know I will not see a day when there are no more mixes that go unloved and unwanted. For every one of your beloved mixes out there, where are their siblings? What became of them? Where is the "breeder"? "Designer dogs" sicken me, careless people who should never own an unspayed/unneutered dog, let alone any dog...~Getting off my soap box~
Don't get me wrong, I have had several awesome mixes in the past, but, my heart belongs to my GSP's. I am a "breedist" I guess, because while I work with all dogs and love them all, there are really only a small handful of even purebreds I would even consider owning. And none of them are quite like my GSP's in shape, hair, body or what they were bred to do. I just accept those breeds for what they are!
 Zikka
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2011 3:24:19 AM reply with quote send message to Zikka Object to Post

posted by Buckingham Palace Kennels
I guess I'll be the first to come right out and say it....Purebreds only please!
I know I will not see a day when there are no more mixes that go unloved and unwanted. For every one of your beloved mixes out there, where are their siblings? What became of them? Where is the "breeder"? "Designer dogs" sicken me, careless people who should never own an unspayed/unneutered dog, let alone any dog...~Getting off my soap box~
Don't get me wrong, I have had several awesome mixes in the past, but, my heart belongs to my GSP's. I am a "breedist" I guess, because while I work with all dogs and love them all, there are really only a small handful of even purebreds I would even consider owning. And none of them are quite like my GSP's in shape, hair, body or what they were bred to do. I just accept those breeds for what they are!

This is such an old topic! lol

Do feel compelled to point out that not all fully papered and registered dogs are healthy, happy or well loved. Many of them will end up in shelters too, perhaps not as many as mutts, but it still signifies. Not all breeders keep tabs on their puppy owner contracts.

Personally, I do agree with everything you've said. And I don't want to argue. But would the labrador retriever have so many genetic markers for hip dysplasia if it wasn't for an unscrupulous drive for THE PERFECT show dog? That goes for all of the breeds that have severe and crippling health issues because somebody in their past didn't care or know enough to watch out for them and try to breed them out.

Bravo to the people who are now trying to fix the errors. I just wish more people were aware that the litter of sweet little puppies will someday soon be a dog, full of energy and in dire need of training if you let things slide when it was a pup.

My cousin has a labradoodle (don't even get me started on that) who is 6 months old this month, and totally out of control. At 6 months old! He is already capable of overpowering her and her boyfriend and they think its cute. He isn't even nearly done growing yet. Needless to say, once he is fully grown and those teen hormones kick on, neutered or not, he is going to end up in a shelter. I just hope that somebody who understands dogs will take him and fix their mistakes. The poor dog deserves better than he is getting.

As for me, personally, I will always get my dogs from a shelter. I cannot justify spending thousands on an impeccably bred dog when there are millions of unwanted mutts out there.

Thankfully people are becoming more and more aware of what exactly will happen when you breed a dog, but the enlightening moment can't come fast enough.

Buckingham Palace Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/24/2011 1:22:52 PM reply with quote send message to Buckingham Palace Kennels Object to Post

Considering I show, do competitive obedience, agility, tracking, field and hunt work, real life hunt and numerous other things with my dogs, my Shorthairs are ideal.
While I had the first U-UD and U-AG II mixed breed bitch in UKC's registry many many moons ago, she was not the norm. Nor was the beagle/husky boy I adopted who was also a Dog World award winner through UKC. My purebreds provide the kind of consistency I am looking for.
Like I said, nothing wrong with mixes, but I do prefer the lovely dark almond eyes of my speckled and solid kids.
 hardcourser
Basic User

Basic User
3/30/2012 4:56:17 AM reply with quote send message to hardcourser Object to Post

while i,m neutral about the purebred/hybrid subject.i,ve been searching google for some info on the purebreds,my question would be just which ancient/extinct dogs where used to develop the various purebreds as they are now.it all comes down to selective breeding no which breed or variety in my opinion.
 applepie1821
Basic User

Basic User
6/12/2012 8:24:38 PM reply with quote send message to applepie1821 Object to Post

I have both a mix, and a purebred.
My mix is a rescued German Shepard Labrador mix.
He is a fixed male.
My purebred is a female unfixed siberian Husky.
We might breed her when she grows up, she is a puppy, I also will show her.

I like both really.
 Zette08
Basic User

Basic User
7/2/2012 5:32:05 PM reply with quote send message to Zette08 Object to Post

I definitely like purebreeds more. Most mutts can't be shown. All the dogs I've ever had are purebreeds.
 Bornsea
Basic User

Basic User
8/16/2012 10:17:45 AM reply with quote send message to Bornsea Object to Post

I've had mixed breeds all growing up, and I've found generally I prefer them to most pure breeds with lack or health issues and temperament. However my most recent mix is a severely inbred collie/terrier mix. She has a lot of issues due to inbreeding, and we didn't know that until after we'd gotten her. With purebreds you don't have to worry quite as much about that, since breeders can provide you with their bloodlines.
 fefetoo
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2013 5:53:51 PM reply with quote send message to fefetoo Object to Post

Alrighty! Mixed breeds. All of my animals are rescues. Two dogs one a Wheaten Terrier mix (with what??Something that had a curly coat-maybe poodle) very smart and Terrier headed! Also very old, falls down, can't hear and yet still eats and jumps when I come home from work...not ready to go to doggie heaven yet.
The other a sleek coated black dog ~ 50# with brown eyebrows and brown socks and the LONGEST tail I've ever seen on a dog. When free to run he leaps like a gazelle on the veld. Built for speed.
Grey tabby cat and black monster cat with white whiskers, and scars from some mauling before I got him, round out our 4 legged household.

I posted this because no one is posting in the forums. Where's the SHOWDOG community??
 Venscera
Basic User

Basic User
8/2/2013 9:05:53 AM reply with quote send message to Venscera Object to Post

While I've mostly had purebreds all my life, I have to say I prefer mixed breeds. I recently adopted a Heeler/Doberman/Husky mix, and I have to say, his temprerment and health is much better than my purebred Papillon's.

Replies in this thread : 34
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.