Search

.com Forum · Bichon Frise

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : How do you know when it's time to say goodbye to your Bichon?
 irene1
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/10/2010 10:43:12 AM reply with quote send message to irene1 Object to Post   

Hello - this is my first post. Our Abby, who turned 14 last Saturday has declined very much over the past year. We have had her since she was 3. She is diabetic, has allergies and had both eyes operated on for cataracts - as a result of the surgery, she lost one eye to glaucoma a few weeks later. She now has only about 1% vision, but she has also developed canine "Alzheimer's" and will bump into familiar items, will go off on her own and lay down, sleeps about 16-18 hours a day. She no longer really wants to play or be held and cuddled. On the other hand, she still drinks well and eats well. She has had many operations for skin tags and has one in her ear now which the doctor will have to remove because she rolls her head causing it to bleed. I don't think she is in any pain but now hesitates a lot going up and down stairs (this could be the blindness). We have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on special food, insulin, needs, dipsticks, operations, medicines, etc. We have no regrets about this but now I am wondering when it is time for us to say goodbye to her. Does she still have quality of life? I don't want her to suffer but I'm wondering if she is. We have to put her Elizabethan collar on her when we are out because of the ear and the biting of the paws. We are afraid of infections because of the diabetes. Would someone please weigh in on this and give me some opinions. My husband and I love her too much to let her suffer. Thank you for your help.
 suziemax
Basic User

Basic User
5/24/2011 8:50:41 PM reply with quote send message to suziemax Object to Post

Hi there - This is my first post as well. We had a 17 year old Bichon named Holly who had to be put down on Monday. She was very stiff in her back legs, loss of appetite & wouldn't drink very much. It was the hardest decision ever we have had to make to get her put down and miss her terribly. The grief you experience is very intense and living without her is hard. I know she is pain free now and hopefully in doggie heaven. Just hope all the other dog owners in the same situation no that in the end its whats best for the dog.
 Trish B
Basic User

Basic User
6/10/2012 5:22:30 PM reply with quote send message to Trish B Object to Post

This is also my first post. My Bonnie 7yo was diagnosed a year ago with chronic renal failure. I did everything the vet said to the letter and they were surprised she had the last healthy year. Last month I had to let Bonnie go to a better place and it killed me. But, I prayed I would know or she would tell me when it was time. She did! That last week were really her first big signs of even being sick. She was restless day and night. I took her to the vet her kidney disease had worsened. On her final day she began with a seizure I ran with her to the vet. We all agreed since we could not completely stop the seizures and she had become more lethargic vs restless that it was time. Hardest thing I have ever done. I, as I am sure you have had to put myself in her place. I feel your pain and am sure Abby will let you know. My thoughts are with you.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing