Search

.com Forum · Bichon Frise

Replies in this thread : 1

Author Topic : Bichon skin problems
 Bernadette Reilly
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2009 8:09:26 AM reply with quote send message to Bernadette Reilly Object to Post   

To all the Bichon owners out there who have been plagued with chronically itchy dogs,may I offer the benefit of my experiance.
I was given "Marlow" an 18 month old male a year ago. He was in good shape if a bit neglected. Almost immediately he began to have problems with his skin. There followed the usual round of visits to various vet's and many tablets(anti histamine) and shampoos but his condition was getting much worse.I was told there may not be a solution and that euthanasia was probably the kindest solution as his quality of life was decreasing daily. I thought I would try a soapless cleaner and used aqueous cream ,available from any pharmacy. Immediately there was an improvment and the manic scratching stopped. Since then he has continued to improve and his bald patches are growing again nicely. It seems my dogs problem, was an extreme reaction to all shampoos even hyper allergenic ones so to Bichon owners with similar problems ,please try non soap alternatives on your animal.
 joseph_bolton
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2009 12:17:23 PM reply with quote send message to joseph_bolton Object to Post

hi bernadette,

I am having the same problem with my 3 yr old female bichon.

Excessive itching to the point of not being able to sleep, both her and us as her itching actually wakes us up.

We have tried a non-meat based protein food in case it was a food allergy but to no avail

I will try your suggestion.

Replies in this thread : 1

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing