.com Forum · Portuguese Podengo

Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Author Topic : Color?
 Bellissimo
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/1/2008 9:43:53 AM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post   

Ok I dont know if anyone wanted to add color but i figured id go for it and see what i found.I dont know how to make it into letter/code things.This is from the akc website.

Colors

Description Type

Black
Chestnut
Fawn
Gold
Gray
Orange
Red
White & Black
White & Chestnut
White & Fawn
White & Gold
White & Gray
White & Orange
White & Red
White & Yellow
Yellow

Markings

White Markings

Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/1/2008 9:48:58 AM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

Oh yeah they also come in three sizes and two different coat types.This is also from the akc website.Idk if it matters though.

1.Pequeno (Small), 2. Medio (Medium) and 3. Grande (Large). All three sizes come in either smooth coat or wire coat varieties.

Bellissimo
 The Dane Spot
Basic User

Basic User
8/5/2008 1:14:54 PM reply with quote send message to The Dane Spot Object to Post

I don't know how to do the color thing either, but I was cracking up when I saw that you could basically get a Podengo ranging in size from 7.5'' up to 27'' ... laugh :D I thought it was a fluke... hehe

Color would be fun. Steady blues would be fun too! lol

I'm game for color. happy :)
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/12/2008 4:02:39 PM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

Bump
Anyone else?

Bellissimo
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2008 6:22:05 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

When I get time (lol, whenever that is, I have a new pup on my hands and a full time job), I will *try* to make a genetic model. I'll have to do a bit of research first, then slap it together and we can talk about it. If anyone else would like to try we could put our results up against eachother and see what we came up with. If I can't find information on an individual locus, I'll make a genetic model using what I think may be somewhat correct and see what you guys think happy :)
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2008 8:10:45 PM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

Thanks so much.

Bellissimo
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
8/21/2008 8:57:11 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

I've put this on the wait list.
 The Dane Spot
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2008 11:51:11 AM reply with quote send message to The Dane Spot Object to Post

Thank you Excalibur! laugh :D

Also, thank you Jeff! happy :)
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/21/2008 5:02:36 PM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

WOO WHO!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone.

Bellissimo
 The Dane Spot
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2008 2:11:50 AM reply with quote send message to The Dane Spot Object to Post

I'm confused ... Did our color code thingy get posted or is it on a waiting list to be made up? Just curious. happy :)

[Not trying to cause a stink Jeff! wink ;)]
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2008 6:49:05 AM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

i dont know cause i cant find it in the post.Maybe someone emailed it to him.I guess will see.

Bellissimo
 admin
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Administrator Forum Moderator
8/22/2008 9:06:39 AM reply with quote send message to admin Object to Post

Please check the other breed forums for examples of how the color models need to be formatted.
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2008 9:19:48 PM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

I did my research i read every post about color i started out not knowing anything.So i think i figured out most of it.Ill wing it and see if i understand right.

Locus A
A-Solid Black
Aw-Black & White

Locus B
B-Solid Chestnut
Bw-Chestnut & White

Locus C
C-Solid Fawn
Cw-Fawn & White

Locus D
D-Solid Gold
Dw-Gold & White

Locus E
E-Gray
Ew-Gray & White

Locus F
F-Solid Orange
Fw- Orange & White

Locus G
G-Solid Red
Gw- Red & White

Locus H
H-Solid Yellow
Hw-Yellow & White

I would really love if some one else came up with a modle so we could compare our Colors.Im gonna look for percentages Now.

Bellissimo
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/22/2008 9:23:32 PM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

Its A Start I found Percents of coat types if were gonna add that too. 75% are of the wire coat variety and 25% are smooth coat.

Bellissimo
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2008 5:51:14 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

I was just wondering how you came up that model... Is it just A is dominant over B which is dominant over C, etc? I don't know about Podengos, but in some breeds there is a specific locus for white markings, ticking, patterns, etc. I would like to come up with a model, but I need a site or two that lists acceptable colors and markings and how they are inherited. If I could get a site for that I could create a model also (I've done aussie genetics in RL on my own time, trying to figure out who to breed my dog to for certain color traits lol).
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2008 5:56:50 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

Okay, the only problem I see in Bellissimo's post is that a dog has every locus- it's just a matter of what gene is there and whether it is dominant, co-dominant, or recessive. One locus in recessive form could block out a trait from another locus even if the one is in dominant form. It gets very complicated. I can try to create a model if someone helps me find some sites- What sites did you use Bellissimo?
 Bellissimo
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2008 6:43:04 AM reply with quote send message to Bellissimo Object to Post

Well i wasnt sure what i was doing so i just kind of winged it i used the akc website. i couldnt find any website with genes and whats dominate.Thats where i got stuck too.

Bellissimo
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2008 4:11:56 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

Yeah, I can see why... We may have to end up using that model then, but we will have to come up with a pattern of how everything is inherited. I'll see what I can do...
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2008 4:21:22 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

The PPCA site says this about color:

"Yellow or fawn, either in light, medium or dark shades are accepted. The color can be solid, with white markings or white with markings of yellow or fawn. The following colors are accepted but not preferred: black or brown, as solid colors, with white markings or white with markings of black or brown. Eliminating colors: brindle; black and tan; tricolor or totally white."

Do we want eliminating colors in the mix?
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2008 4:35:37 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

And I'm finding that sites either say predominant and preferred colors are cream and fawn or yellow and fawn, and a few others list black as being acceptable along with white with patches of either black, yellow/cream, and fawn. Most don't list brown as a preferred or accepted color.

It's up to everyone here- what colors do we want?
 Excalibur Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
8/25/2008 9:02:16 PM reply with quote send message to Excalibur Kennels Object to Post

I came up with something... I can almost guarentee it isn't correct, but I couldn't find anything regarding the genetic colors and how they are inherited and what trait was in which locus.... I narrowed it down to four major loci that will give us our colors. I left out disqualifications at this point (like tan points, brindle, and completely white). We can throw a gene for wire haired and smooth coated into the mix, but the sizes are actually different breeds. I'll begin typing my extremely simplified model... it's all handwritten at this point...

Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.