Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Source Breeding Question
 teevis
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/2/2013 8:12:38 PM reply with quote send message to teevis Object to Post   

I'm thinking of starting my own line of Polish Lowland Sheepdogs, because nearly all the dogs in this breed are descended from one kennel and COI is starting to creep up.

Before I start though, I'd like to get some input from other source breeders as to how many starters I should purchase.

Thank you,
T
 Mistiel
Basic User

Basic User
9/2/2013 8:23:46 PM reply with quote send message to Mistiel Object to Post

I really think it depends on how much money you have/want to spend. In this kennel I just went with the six I originally had (four females and two males). In my other one, I bought some and had seven altogether (I made my six but FH'd some. Four females and three males).

I would think at least three females and two males would be good for a start. But if you have the money and space, why not add more?

Hope this helped. happy :)
 teevis
Basic User

Basic User
9/3/2013 9:47:21 AM reply with quote send message to teevis Object to Post

Thank you, Mistiel.

That seems like a sensible way to go. happy :)

Guess I'll do that, then.
 Sheoques Blue Manchester
Basic User

Basic User
9/11/2013 2:56:17 AM reply with quote send message to Sheoques Blue Manchester Object to Post

I am starting with 8 females and 2 males with a steady population of 32. The number is to keep the coi down. You might want to turn the old ratings on too or all you will see is 20s and 0s

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing