Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 29
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 10:57:01 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Lumen;
It's kind of hard to respond to this post without sounding rude in some way. I proof read my post before I posted it because I didn't want to sound rude. And I agree with Degree, I think everyone gave the best advice possible. Plus I think this doesn't really relate to the real dog show world considering I doubt that the dog that got loose was going to be used in the show world which is what irks me. I understand accidents happen but I don't think they should happen with dogs not intended to improve the breed, defiantly if it results in a mixed dog. People already look down upon dog showers for breeding "more unwanted dogs" when the people not spaying and neutering their "household" pets should be the ones getting criticized. It upsets me when people aren't responsible with their dogs and their ability to breed or not):

But I do agree, some of the posts were rude but I do see where they are coming from, if this person constantly posts "ridiculous" posts with poor literacy skills.

Thanks for standing up for this person though, heavens forbid they actually have all these problems!):
 scamp571
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 11:01:34 AM reply with quote send message to scamp571 Object to Post

posted by Beach Dunes
Lumen;
It's kind of hard to respond to this post without sounding rude in some way. I proof read my post before I posted it because I didn't want to sound rude. And I agree with Degree, I think everyone gave the best advice possible. Plus I think this doesn't really relate to the real dog show world considering I doubt that the dog that got loose was going to be used in the show world which is what irks me. I understand accidents happen but I don't think they should happen with dogs not intended to improve the breed, defiantly if it results in a mixed dog. People already look down upon dog showers for breeding "more unwanted dogs" when the people not spaying and neutering their "household" pets should be the ones getting criticized. It upsets me when people aren't responsible with their dogs and their ability to breed or not):

But I do agree, some of the posts were rude but I do see where they are coming from, if this person constantly posts "ridiculous" posts with poor literacy skills.

Thanks for standing up for this person though, heavens forbid they actually have all these problems!):

thank for how stand up for me and sorry for the bad spelling
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 11:04:40 AM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

posted by scamp571
posted by Beach Dunes
Lumen;

Did you decide what you are going to do with the pups? As in, are you going to keep them and raise them with the mother, or maybe give them to a rescue?
 †Creed†
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 12:34:06 PM reply with quote send message to †Creed† Object to Post

Not to sound harsh and all, but the only thing I can do is shake my head at this entire thread and I wish Jeff would come in and lock it.

I know myself that I was in a very similar situation as Scamp, 'crept mine was much more easily explained. I rescued a dog from a friend who claimed the dog was "aggressive" just to find out that she was in fact pregnant. I'm not all about terminating a litter (which at the time I realized she was in fact pregnant, it was too late). I have very mixed feelings about terminating or aborting litters. There are very responsible ways to home babies and provide consistent and professional behavioral training.

I've been breeding, showing and training professionally for nearly 16 years and I've got to say I have come across ONE dog in my time that I was unable to work with. And that was entirely my fault. I was the one unable to meet the demand of the particular dog. He was a border collie that had literally spent his entire life in a kennel traveling from show to show and it killed his spirit. Eventually, he settled into an amazing farm home as someone's pet.

Regardless, the point I am trying to make is although the majority of us sit and cry over stories like this, we cannot run from reality. It does happen, sadly. The best thing for us to do as animal lovers and in some of our professions is to offer what advice we can. Mentor those whom know no better. We can't change the world overnight, but we can start by educations one person at a time.

Scamp, I certainly hope you learn from this unfortunate event and make a pact to always spay and neuter to avoid this in the future. I certainly wish you and your family the best in whichever you decide to do, which I'm gathering won't be a termination. Please speak to rescues about placing these babies. Most of all, I wish an easy series of events on this young mother.

-Creed
 Kalynda
Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 6:07:25 PM reply with quote send message to Kalynda Object to Post

Scamp,

You need more assistance than this group can offer as a group of online game players/dog fanciers / breeders. Please let one of us know where you are located so that we can put you in touch with a local rescue group or kind breeder who can personally offer you some much needed help and advice.

Otherwise, we assume you are trolling or looking for attention.

Basic User

Basic User
9/17/2013 6:26:17 PM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Honestly, this is just a touchy subject.

At the end of the day, you just get tired trying to correct ignorance.

BEWARE: Sarcasm ahead. My comments are in parenthesis.

The people who think a one year health guarantee is worth anything, because it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

The people who are concerned about reliability and want to know what they're getting with a dog and buy some designer dog. (I'm not saying ALL designer breeders are irresponsible...but most are.)

The people who think that a pet store dog for $1500 is better than buying from a breeder for $2000 because they want a purebred but don't want to spend the money because they're "both the same, just a discount".

The people who think that some pet store dogs come from responsible breeders, and they don't all come from puppy mills.

The people who insist that $300 is too much money to pay to adopt a "mutt". Forget about the spay/neuter, or feeding costs, the pedigree is all that counts.

The people who insist that if shelters REALLY wanted to adopt out all dogs they wouldn't charge a fee. Because even though you can't afford the $300 adoption fee, you are financially stable enough to care for a dog.

The people who buy teacup dogs or teacup designer dogs.

The people who breed teacup dogs or teacup designer dogs.

The people who insist that their teacup yorkie who came from a pet store that they purchased at christmas is from a good breeder. (And a yorkie is a completely unsuitable breed for them).

The people who insist that their dog is not matted when they haven't brushed him in 6 weeks.

The family that feels rescue applications are too invasive because the application asks if they are planning on having children.

The couple that adopts a dog that they know isn't good with young kids, has kids, and then gives up the dog.

The family with kids that somehow is allowed to adopt a small puppy who is very afraid of children and returns him a year later as a timid and less cute adult.

The people who support "wolfdogs" in any way. I've done some research on it, and found that a full wolf would make a better pet than a wolf hybrid.

The people who don't do any research before getting a pet.

The people who don't neuter because they think it's inhumane (euthanizing dogs is totally OK though!)

The people who think that creative grooming is cruel because the dogs are embarrassed and the dogs should be left "as nature intended". (I bet dalmatians feel silly with those spots, I can't believe how somebody would condemn a dog to a life of bullying and embarrassment.)

The people who get upset because the rescue doesn't ship dogs, because if they did, all the dogs would have been adopted. (This comment was directed to a rescue who will allow out of state adoptions, as long as the potential owner is willing to meet the dog and take the dog home if it's a good match).

The people who insist on getting a purebred puppy and not a shelter dog because they want to "know what they're getting" and want a "predictable and reliable" dog and then have a puppy shipped to them across the country, knowing nothing about the puppy except it's age and gender.

The family with a family member with known severe dog allergies (allergies were fine with a poodle) that seriously considers adopting a rat terrier x.

The people who call out a shelter that quarantines a dog without vaccinations that bit a person, stating it's unfair because it "wasn't his fault, the groomer must have been mean to him!" (The shelter could have euthanized him then and there to check his insides for disease, but instead they decided to be nice).

And lastly, the people who think that the entire shelter equation is one big conspiracy. (Google "dog overpopulation isn't real"wink ;)

All of these things are very real, but they are tales other rescuers tell me, and I have not personally witnessed most of those.

It's frustrating, and it's hard NOT to be rude when somebody has to take care of somebody else's problems caused by irresponsible dog owners.

I would like to note that, in scamp's case, his parents are really at fault, IMO.
 scamp571
Basic User

Basic User
9/19/2013 7:38:58 AM reply with quote send message to scamp571 Object to Post

posted by Beach Dunes
posted by scamp571
posted by Beach Dunes
Lumen;

Did you decide what you are going to do with the pups? As in, are you going to keep them and raise them with the mother, or maybe give them to a rescue?

im going to raise the puppies with summer the vet thinks 6 puppies i hope for a safe dilvery
 Haywood
Basic User

Basic User
9/19/2013 9:36:59 AM reply with quote send message to Haywood Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by scamp571
posted by Beach Dunes
posted by scamp571
posted by Beach Dunes
Lumen;

im going to raise the puppies with summer the vet thinks 6 puppies i hope for a safe dilvery

I hope everything goes well. Make sure to have emergancy numbers at hand, even after the pregnancy. When is she due? It would be nice to keep us updated. - Beach Dunes

-----
Last edited by Haywood on 9/19/2013 9:37:35 AM
 scamp571
Basic User

Basic User
9/20/2013 7:36:35 AM reply with quote send message to scamp571 Object to Post

om in ontario canada and i will keep u posted i will be doing a blog about summer and her family starting today details later

Replies in this thread : 29
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.