Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2013 2:00:55 AM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

Could a Brittany work for you?

Some other breeds that popped into my mind -- though I've never owned them personally -- were Curly-coated Retrievers, Pointer, or perhaps some of the other spaniel breeds (not sure on shedding, but my ESS and ECS didn't shed as much as my APBT).

Kuwanyauma
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2013 2:59:12 AM reply with quote send message to Kuwanyauma Object to Post

I second a Britt!

Low coat care, lots of energy, highly trainable and smart. Nice compact size happy :)
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2013 7:16:19 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

I have friends who breed and others who own pet Airedales and overall they are great family dogs. The pets are clippered rather than stripped so other than the usual underarms, ears and feet, don't require a lot of coat maintenance. Like all larger breeds, the responsible breeders check hips, elbows and knees in their breeding stock, but problems are not prevalent. It is overall a very healthy, sound and intelligent breed with a HUGE sense of humor happy :).
 Steph
Basic User

Basic User
10/17/2013 9:04:02 PM reply with quote send message to Steph Object to Post

If you don't want the Labradoodle questions, don't get a Curly-Coated Retriever. They shed but less than a Golden or Lab.
There is a SD player ( might be former player )who lives in South Dakota and just finished her Brittany. Are you anywhere near Rapid City or Deadwood? I bet she would love to show you her Britt.

Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2013 12:11:44 AM reply with quote send message to Object to Post edit post

Have you rescued a dog before? Note that there is a difference between a rescue, a shelter, and a human society. Where did you rescue the dog from, if you have?

Also, don't Brittany Spaniels shed a moderate to high ammount?
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2013 4:07:09 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

I know the difference between shelter, rescue and breed rescue and I understand the pros and cons of each.

Am am serious considering either an Airedale or Brittany. When I am closer to being ready I will decide if I am gonna go with breeder or breed rescue.

And I am about 5 hours from rapid city but do get that way about once or twice a year, I would love to meet a Brittany and hear some first hand perspective of the breed.
 Euphorias
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2013 4:08:45 PM reply with quote send message to Euphorias Object to Post

posted by Lokei
Could a Brittany work for you?

Some other breeds that popped into my mind -- though I've never owned them personally -- were Curly-coated Retrievers, Pointer, or perhaps some of the other spaniel breeds (not sure on shedding, but my ESS and ECS didn't shed as much as my APBT).

My Pit Bull hardly sheds at all, my ferrets shed twice as much as he dose lol. He is on grain free food (but I assume yours are as well).
 Lokei
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2013 4:28:20 PM reply with quote send message to Lokei Object to Post

^^^ yes! Sorry, my APBT did not shed much. But my spaniels did less ( though if this is normal, I don't know ). And all on grain free food. Sorry, should have been more clear happy :)
 linlin23
Basic User

Basic User
10/20/2013 7:58:25 PM reply with quote send message to linlin23 Object to Post

Sorry, just checking. You'd be amazed how many people are outraged we won't just give them the dog because he needs a home.
 Zahir
Basic User

Basic User
10/21/2013 7:43:59 PM reply with quote send message to Zahir Object to Post

I know you said easy to train, but I am going to suggest a couple of dogs that meet every requirement BUT that...Saluki or Afghan Hound. They are not generally reactive to other dogs, they are active outside but couch potatoes in the house usually. They can learn to get along with little critters in the house. They do not shed much. You could clip down the Afghan Hound to cut down on coat care. They are trainable, although I wouldn't classify them as "easy", but they ARE smart. Easy to travel with too happy :)

Replies in this thread : 30
Page : 1 2
<< prev page next page >>

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.