Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Salmon Poisoning Disease
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

System.__ComObject
3/18/2014 11:49:29 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post   

I have just experienced one of the most horrific weeks of my life and want to share this information with you all. My dog was running happily on the beach 2 weeks ago and must have gobbled up a bit of dead fish during her joyous adventure ... a week later she was in ICU and near death. $3000 of excellent care and diagnostics later, I have her home but she is still very fragile.

www.king5.com/community/blogs/the-pet-dish/Salmon-poisoning-is-a-threat-to-dogs-131809213.html
 CoffieDog
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2014 7:47:00 PM reply with quote send message to CoffieDog Object to Post

Sorry to hear that, I wish her a fast and full recovery!

Thanks for sharing the article, I never knew about this. I don't live near the Pacific (or any beach), but I was considering switching my dog to a kibble food that is made with "smoked salmon" and now after reading this I won't switch.
 Cedar Creek Redbones
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2014 8:44:46 PM reply with quote send message to Cedar Creek Redbones Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Salmon poisoning is very common where I live and so there isn't much diagnostic testing. It is the blood (parasitic fluke) in the fish that makes your dog sick, feeding a kibble with salmon in it is not the same. Your dog would be fine eating a fish based kibble.
I live on a salmon hatchery and if I see my dog snatch a piece I immediately make them vomit and are fine.

-----
Last edited by Cedar Creek Redbones on 3/19/2014 8:52:04 PM
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/20/2014 9:12:43 AM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

Wow! I didn't know salmon could be so scary (though, after I thought about it, it made sense). Thankfully, I live closest to the Gulf and the dogs never go to the beach, when we do, lol.

I'm sorry to hear she got so sick but thank goodness she's sorta okay, and hopefully she continues to heal!

Alexandria

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.