Search

.com Forum · Portuguese Pointer

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : Best judges for Portuguese Pointers
 Taranis
Basic User

System.__ComObject
5/28/2014 3:07:59 AM reply with quote send message to Taranis Object to Post   

Okay, so as our SOP is now high enough to start getting the odd group placing, I thought I'd list the judges I've discovered that are more willing to place a PP over other breeds, even ones with higher SOP. When entering shows, these are the names to look out for:

Wilfredo Feaster
Sarah Brush
 Windsong Hills
Basic User

Basic User
5/29/2014 1:20:50 PM reply with quote send message to Windsong Hills Object to Post

I don't think there is one or two judges that perfectly fit portugese pointers, but what you can do is look at the judges preference sheet i made and try to match as closely as you can the individual dog to the judge. I've found that some of my dogs are better with different judges, despite being the same breed. Each dog has different strengths and weaknesses.

Sheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NSTBK9ACe9YQHRJ2MQB7pTd3BhCpiP7WyT-JDIzkFqA/edit?usp=sharing
Hope this helps!
Windy
 Taranis
Basic User

Basic User
6/1/2014 3:33:01 AM reply with quote send message to Taranis Object to Post

I've actually done some analysis with a spreadsheet before, weighing up which traits are important for Portuguese Pointers against judge preferences. It's why I wasn't too surprised when Wilfredo Feaster started placing my dogs in Group - he IS genuinely one of the best matches.

For example, today I got 2nd in Group under Wilfredo Feaster with an 87 SOP dog... who wasn't even fully sessioned. That dog placed over dogs with much higher SOP and who were also fully sessioned. Wilfredo Feaster has now Group placed two of my dogs who have rather different stat distributions (with the exception of Head).

Spreadsheets that calculate these things aren't always 100% accurate because of the unknowns in just how things are weighted, plus decimals, etc. So I'm quite happy to go with what experience tells me works. Currently, experience is starting to show that Wilfredo Feaster is the judge to go for with Portuguese Pointers.

More data is, admittedly, needed for Sarah Brush.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.