Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 2

Author Topic : italian greyhounds
 squitandfate
Basic User

System.__ComObject
6/4/2014 3:13:18 AM reply with quote send message to squitandfate Object to Post   

i have just started source breeding with italian greyhounds as we have lost all of the solid colours and was wondering if any one would be willing to help me out as i reall have no idia about source breeding my other account is bubby1000 if i dont answer on this one..... please help me
 Laffy-Taffy Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2014 12:20:06 PM reply with quote send message to Laffy-Taffy Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Does these help you any?

www.italian-greyhound.net/coatcolor.htm
www.italian-greyhound.net/IGColors.htm
greytarticles.wordpress.com/medical-first-aid/color-geneticsgorgeous-greyhound-colors/greyhound-color-genetics-rainbow-colors-%E2%80%94rainbow-greyhounds/
homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/IGcolor.html

If it would help more, I could make you some kind of color breeding chart, like I used to have for my Dachshunds.

Alexandria

-----
Last edited by Laffy-Taffy Kennels on 6/4/2014 12:24:58 PM
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
6/4/2014 5:00:27 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

IG colors look pretty straight forward at a glance, I can help. PM me any specific questions and I'll walk you through it.

The main thing is that solids are pretty easy- in order to get a solid colored puppy, at least one parent MUST by solid. If a dog is NOT solid, it doesn't have the solid gene, no matter what color it's parents were.

Solid is also the same gene for all colors- so assuming you have ALL color in "color and white" dogs, you do not need to bring back each solid color individually. Rather you just need to bring the solid GENE back up, in whatever color or colors you like, and then it can be quickly applied, in just one litter, to every other color.

Depending on what sort of source breeding you want to do, you could get these up to show quality fairly fast- you simply breed solid sourcies, to whatever colored current dogs you like, keep the solid offspring for breeding (discard the non-solids), then breed the solid pups to any color current gen, keep only the solid pups, and continue on until you have current SOP.

Replies in this thread : 2

Did you know?
Judges are generally certified to judge one or several breeds, usually in the same group, but a few "all-breed" judges have the training and experience to judge large numbers of breeds.