Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Low SOP/perfect head
 Campbell Sparks
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/29/2014 4:11:33 AM reply with quote send message to Campbell Sparks Object to Post   

Hi,

Just a question, my one dog has a low sop for the breed but a perfect head, where many dogs in this breed are ranging 9.8-10.2 for head. Should I consider keeping him and trying to breed him for his head, the top trait in the breed?

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=13335044

Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 5:34:56 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

It probably depends on how low he is. Personally, I would probably keep him though- in my lines when I breed a 9.8 head to a 10.0 head a majority of the puppies end up with a 10.0 head.
You can always repeat the breeding in hopes of a higher sop dog with a 10.0 head too, though it's not guaranteed to happen.
Congrats on the 10.0!!
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 12:57:14 PM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

I would keep him, and hope he passes that beautiful head down to at least one pup. happy :)

Congrats on that head!
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 4:41:29 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Keep him. Something like this happened in my breed. The SS wasn't as low but the dog continued to produce 10 HDs with dogs that had 20SS as well. Just try it, worst case scenario, he doesn't produce well and you FH him and his litters.
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 6:01:39 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

Definitely keep him happy :)

I did this with my Anatolians in my Ariege kennel and it worked really well. I basically bred him once to each bitch - then kept the best 10.0H pups with 20SS from each litter and went from there happy :) Now I have heaps of high SOP with 10.0H happy :)
 Campbell Sparks
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2014 10:48:17 PM reply with quote send message to Campbell Sparks Object to Post

Awesome, thank you sooo much for your help and info! Greatly appreciated!
 Taranis
Basic User

Basic User
8/4/2014 4:14:47 AM reply with quote send message to Taranis Object to Post

I would keep him. His low SOP is mostly because of his low SS - if he had a 20 for SS, his SOP is 87.05, which is just fine for PP's. He probably wouldn't do very well showing with that low SS (I find anything lower than 18 for SS really struggles in the ring, no matter how good the other traits are), but he's worth keeping for that head. happy :)
 Campbell Sparks
Basic User

Basic User
8/6/2014 10:45:07 PM reply with quote send message to Campbell Sparks Object to Post

Thank you so much for that happy :) I've decided I'm going to keep him and try and pass that head on.

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.