Search

.com Forum · Banner Making Forum

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Opinions on Prices?
 Clay Creek Falls
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
9/3/2014 6:27:03 PM reply with quote send message to Clay Creek Falls Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi everyone, it has been a long long time since I have created any banners or illustrations for SD, and I was just after your opinion as to what I should be charging people for my works.

So if you could post your responses that would be excellent, and if you want to be super awesome, what would you suggest for pricing for AUD as I wish to open up commissions on my DeviantArt account also. But again I am totally unsure as to what I should be using as a standard price.

Thanks again

Fully Shaded, detailed & backgrounds

Character fully detailed & shaded, Minimal BG

Simple Character Shaded, No Background

SD Banners

Thanking you all so so much in advance! happy :)

www.doubletrouble94.deviantart.com

- Lindsey

Edit: Pics not working properly....

-----
Last edited by Clay Creek Falls on 9/3/2014 6:28:41 PM
 Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/5/2014 10:51:03 AM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post

Well, it depends on what you think is more important first of all. Do you feel it more fair to charge for quality, or for your effort? If creating something like this takes a long time & lots of effort, it might be okay to charge a medium price range. If you'd rather charge based on quality, you may consider keeping it on the lower end of commission sales.

I will use US dollars as that's all I know off hand... illustration & design is a costly thing so for those who do it on the side very well, they can charge up in the hundreds. Beginners to novice go for something like $10-$30 per image though. Sometimes $5 if the picture is small.

As for SD money, these are not bad. You could safely charge $300-$400 for imitations if you stayed at the large size as you've made so far. Smaller ones should probably go for less but again, if the effort is large the price can be as well if you feel like it. As for the banners, I can't really say as there's only one example. When you make more and can get some practice at it you could probably get more opinions on those happy :)

Keep it up! You have talent, keep growing it happy :)
 Clay Creek Falls
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/8/2014 5:46:26 PM reply with quote send message to Clay Creek Falls Object to Post

Thank you for your reply laugh :D It means so much happy :) I now have a bit more of an idea on what to price my artworks at, I am planning on charging for time and effort put in.

So would you think that $20 AUD (approx the same as USD) would be a fair price for the top two images?

And then $15 AUD for the next one, and finally $10 - $5 for the last one.

My banner skills are a little rusty so I will wait until I've had more goes before trying to price those.

Thank you again laugh :D

Lindsey
 Roaming Tazi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/9/2014 3:20:53 PM reply with quote send message to Roaming Tazi Kennels Object to Post

I would think those prices are alright, for the effort you put into it. Also, you can monitor sales that you make, and adjust prices accordingly. If the general public doesn't seem to think the quality is worth it, even if the effort is great they will not really care unfortunately, and will go to other people. You will be going against others who offer higher quality for about that same price range, so offering them for free for a little bit may also be in your favor so you get practice + recent examples. This is mainly because artist are struggling right now (well, always have really) to sell artwork that is not directly tied to web business or advertisement. Even artists who are of the highest caliber are offering illustration works for pretty cheap, especially when it comes to animal portraits and sim games I have noticed.

Anyway, best of luck! Getting into selling your work is rewarding when done well. While frustrating at times, the progress alone is very gratifying and if you enjoy the work it's not even like a job or a source of money.

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.