Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Questioning a Handler?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/26/2014 12:55:56 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So I'm talking to this one lady about working under her starting next summer. Right now its mostly friendly chat and questioning on how she runs her business. I'm planning to meet in person with her soon.

She shows about 6-10 dogs 2-3 times a month so I will more than likely have a small part time job aside from chores and shows.

My point is, I'm not sure what else to ask her, I don't want to be rude but I'm also wondering about the pay situation, especially since I'll be live in with 2-3 dogs?

-----
Last edited by Beach Dunes on 9/27/2014 8:02:35 PM
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/26/2014 3:16:02 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

If I were you, these are the things I would want to know:
Job duties - grooming? handling? xing? etc. on the road vs at home.
Other assistants? will you be grooming only while another assistant handles?
Expenses? Are you paying rent? utilities? your entry fees for juniors?
Living conditions? In her home, an in-law suite? a kennel apartment? then your dogs - with you? in crates/kennels?
Priority as a junior handler? - be prepared to miss showing in juniors from time to time, if the handler is paying your entries it's not a big deal, but is money down the drain if you're paying the entries.
And don't be afraid to ask about compensation. You're going to have to know what kind of income you're working with based on the expenses you will have.
Will you have anything in writing?

In most instances, I believe, the handler typically pays for the junior's entries, and they are occasionally missed, usually the handler also pays for a room and food during shows (or you'll be sleeping in the rig with the dogs) and then a daily assistant's pay. Usually the assistants have expenses covered by the handler's clients but you will need to know what you're expected to cover on your own.
 Wild Wind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2014 12:16:31 AM reply with quote send message to Wild Wind Kennels Object to Post

I have never, ever, ever heard of a handler paying the entry fees for a junior. And I spent 5 of my years as a junior working for handlers. Just FYI.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/27/2014 2:45:13 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

I have never been in a situation where I even considered this type of arrangement, but whether it's the norm or not - you should have your terms of employment in writing.

You are going to be on the road, away from home, and dependant on this person. It's a job - you need to know what your duties are and your employers obligations. That's not suggesting you refuse to do anything that's not on the list but it gives you some power if you feel you are being taken advantage of.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2014 4:29:06 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

My handler reimbursed me when I missed juniors. I would barely make money some times if juniors entries were full priced and if I missed my classes I took a huge pay cut for nothing. I have heard of some handlers paying junior entries. It's worth discussing and I'm sure it varies by handler and locations.
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

Basic User
9/27/2014 7:53:16 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post

Juniors shouldn't be too big of a problem because I will age out soon after being with her.

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.