Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 11

Author Topic : Dog Breeds that are Good with Kids and are Good Ratters
 Sun Dale
Basic User

System.__ComObject
9/29/2014 5:42:03 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

My sister is looking a new dog. It needs to be good with kids and a good ratter. Low maintenance grooming would be good, too. Any suggestions?

-----
Last edited by Sun Dale on 9/29/2014 5:43:41 PM
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2014 9:06:34 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

I just been informed, no small dogs.
 Acclamation
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2014 9:08:23 PM reply with quote send message to Acclamation Object to Post

Cairn terriers (ToTo)are non-shedding and can be shaved down twice yearly. LOVE kids if they are raised with them and the kids are respectful and kind to animals ... will fetch and play all day and then go to bed with you at night and not move. VERY gamey with vermin but gentle with cats if raised with them. Very intelligent and do great in Agility, Earthdog, Barn Hunter and Rally Obedience.
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2014 9:28:23 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

Cairn Terrier is an excellent suggestion. But, I think that they are probably to small. The dog that they have is about 40 lbs and 18 inches. So, I think about that size or bigger is what they are looking for.
 Lilliput
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2014 11:44:47 PM reply with quote send message to Lilliput Object to Post

Given that nearly all ratters are terriers, and the vast majority of terriers, and particularly breeds known for being spectacular ratters are small dogs, I think they may need to compromise somewhere...
 Black Rhapsody
Basic User

Basic User
9/29/2014 11:56:19 PM reply with quote send message to Black Rhapsody Object to Post

German Pinschers are right in the size range you are looking for, and are bred for ratting. They can be great with kids as long as the kids are taught how to behave around dogs and you choose a dog with correct temperament. happy :)

Jessica
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 11:07:23 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

Going to agree with Lilliput. To be a good ratter the dog has to be small, so it can fit in all the tunnels & nooks and crannies that rats hide in. Plus ratters tend to be a bit nippy but with training are fine around kids.

JRT/PRT could be good, short smooth low maintenance coat, known to be ratters and still plenty of drive.

Miniature schnauzers have lower exercise needs than the Russel Terriers, longer wiry coat so a bit more maintenance but used to be ratters.

Finally the Rat Terrier, short smooth low mainenance coat, as the name suggests should be a good ratter and at the large end of the terrier size range.

grif,

Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 11:18:16 AM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

Schipperke's are another option, small dogs but think they are big dogs.
 Mychazo
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 11:26:19 AM reply with quote send message to Mychazo Object to Post

German Pinscher
 GraceInGlory
Premium Member

Premium Member
9/30/2014 12:29:57 PM reply with quote send message to GraceInGlory Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Standard Rat Terriers (sometimes called Decker rat terrier) can weigh anywhere from 20-40lbs. I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one though, depending where you are they are not very common.

Sometimes other non-traditional breeds or mixes can have high prey drive. I had a Lab (from english hunting lines) that was a great rodent hunter. And a Lab GSD cross that would bring in all sorts of prey...

I just wanted to add: rats are nasty and can bite back no matter what size the dog is. A friend of mine had a dog that needed his lips stitched up after he'd been out hunting rats. I think personally if rats were a major problem I'd look into traps rather than a dog.

-----
Last edited by GraceInGlory on 9/30/2014 4:34:37 PM
 Image Bostons
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 5:03:41 PM reply with quote send message to Image Bostons Object to Post

Irish terrier happy :) it's lovely breed. Very nice with children if they grow up with themhappy :)

But I must agree - smaller dogs are better ratters.

Maybe manchester terrier?? not too small and have short coathappy :)
 Sun Dale
Basic User

Basic User
9/30/2014 9:45:03 PM reply with quote send message to Sun Dale Object to Post

Ok, so, I found that they want to get a puppy. So, maybe size won't be big of an issue.

Replies in this thread : 11

Did you know?
Since its centenary year in 1991, Crufts has officially been recognised as the world's largest and most prestigious dog show by the Guinness Book of Records, with a total of 22,973 dogs being exhibited that year.