Search

.com Forum · American Cocker Spaniel

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Lotsa choises for shows!
 gaylanstudio3
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
11/9/2014 12:13:44 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio3 Object to Post   

I've put a few entries in a whole of shows!

There will be some competion, some points for someone even if we don't make majors.

Some I've put handlers on (would like a few points myself), some not.
 Foxley 2
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2014 9:48:07 AM reply with quote send message to Foxley 2 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

One tip on choosing a judge that works well for me is to concentrate on your dogs highest and lowest trait. For example: My dog Dark Passage has an excellent hindquarter for a cocker. I know hindquarters aren't common in the breed, so I choose judges with high or very high for hindquarter. If your dog has a low trait for the breed avoid judges that are high or very high for that trait. Just like real life. If you know a judge is a huge fan of good rears, you wouldn't want to show him something with a poor rear even if it is gorgeous otherwise.

-----
Last edited by Foxley 2 on 11/18/2014 4:17:55 PM
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/18/2014 11:44:04 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Some 'typos' there Fox!

I think you are referring to judges all the way through, not handlers, in which case I agree entirely. (Otherwise you've really confused me.)
 Foxley 2
Basic User

Basic User
11/18/2014 4:18:37 PM reply with quote send message to Foxley 2 Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Whoops.. yes. thank you. and haha.. points, not points. Oh well just in case anyone reads.

-----
Last edited by Foxley 2 on 11/18/2014 4:20:28 PM
 Clwyd Cockers
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/18/2014 8:27:27 PM reply with quote send message to Clwyd Cockers Object to Post

I just try to pick the owner handler judges.
I know I should look at all that other stuff but I don't.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
11/19/2014 12:27:43 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Owner judges - absolutely. I did have issues with the continual appearance of the same judges but I think we need a higher proportion of these now.

That said, I do try to use other judges strategically as well – first to enter, moderate dog, best handler available sometimes works well.
Add in good trait preference match and it's even better. Useful when trying to get those last few points sometimes.

With a young dog that I'm entering ahead I always go for the owner judge because the dog is often not fully sessioned yet and can't get the top handler choices anyway.

Owner judges also when comparing dogs (SOP does not always offer the best picture).

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A specialty show may be regional or national. A "Best in Show" win at a national specialty show is tremendously prestigious, indicating that the winning dog or bitch triumphed at a contest which attracted entries from the most serious fanciers of that breed in the country or continent. Some specialty shows attract international entries.