Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 4

Author Topic : If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It
 K D And E Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/11/2015 2:15:04 PM reply with quote send message to K D And E Kennels Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I actually thought of several titles for this post including:
"Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should" and "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"

I think everyone has gone Poll Happy. I assume the intent of the polls was NOT to give everyone carte blanche to change ANYTHING they wanted about the site just as long as they could get enough votes.

Some of the suggestions are GREAT! I think merit awards should be recognized. Other suggestions... not so much.

Jeff is a great Admin. By far one of the most hands-on I have ever seen and constantly trying to improve the site and keep the members happy.

But seriously, this site has been around for over a decade, it obviously works. So why all the polls to change things?

Maybe the better option would be to take the poll button away from the masses and give it only to Jeff. Members could still make suggestions and have discussions about them. Then IF Jeff was considering a change, he could post a poll to see if there was enough interest to warrant the time and effort it would take on his part to implement it.

hmmm, maybe I should make a poll about it... LOL

-----
Last edited by K D And E Kennels on 1/11/2015 2:28:18 PM
 Drake Creek Meadows
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2015 4:07:29 PM reply with quote send message to Drake Creek Meadows Object to Post

Embrace change, it's the one truth of the universe; things that never change stagnate and die, including this site. Some changes could breathe new life into it, but people like you who are nostalgia blind would rather see the game stay the same forever.

A lot of people have left because they are bored with the game, they want to see new things, but new things rarely ever happen here. I mean I was gone for two years and the site pretty much didn't change at all in all that time. Only since I've been back and polls were added have I seen changes. That's crazy. The most successful games on the internet have been games that add new features on a fairly regular basis and change just enough to keep things fresh but remain close enough to the core that they don't become a different game in the process. Having new things to do and look forward to keeps people interested and playing instead of leaving. It's just the way it is.

Give things a chance before shooting them down simply because they are 'changes' you may find that you like it after awhile, and even if you don't the changes are so small they hardly qualify as game breaking. People who keep a closed mind irate me.

What specifically is it that you have a problem with? Obviously if these people are getting enough votes for a change it means that is is widely well received by the users on this site. Your opinion doesn't carny more weight than anyone else's. You may not like some of the things people are putting up to a vote, but obviously there are plenty of people that do. As Jeff said; most polls will fail and that will prove to the people that started the poll that it was a bad idea. These things have a way of working them selves out. Only ideas people find favorable with amass the votes needed to be put into effect.

We've got a good thing going here, polls start conversations, and when people are talking they are being engaged and when they are engaged they are immersed. It leads to more activity and more interest. Everyone wins, except the naysayers like you.

So to echo you "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and that means leave polls alone and as they are. happy :)

-----
Last edited by Drake Creek Meadows on 1/11/2015 4:10:41 PM
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/11/2015 11:02:44 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

I think the poll thing is fine, people can make all the polls they want and get all the votes they can. But I know Jeff well enough to know he won't make a change he doesn't really believe is in the best interest of SD.

And some people use the polls to get input on how people play different aspects of the game too, so it's not just about making changes.

I don't think Jeff would have enabled polls to the user base if he didn't want them used and he will ignore the ridiculous ones and perhaps use the other information gathered to better SD.
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
1/12/2015 9:05:45 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

I had an idea on something so I posted a poll/feedback post. The comments and votes I saw in the post helped me realize that I was one of the few. So thats a topic of discussion that wasn't worth further effort.

I was a little wary of the added bonus in the game and voted against it. Popular vote pushed it forward enough for Jeff to implement the idea. So far it looks like a positive move for the game.

There are a lot of little tweaks being discussed that I think will help improve day to day game play. The polls just help Jeff see which ones have the most interest.

Will

gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/13/2015 11:36:42 AM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

Drake Creek,

I really like your comment - sure wish you were around on a certain other game when I have suggested some change!

I also am a little wary of the bonus as implemented. I think it has so far had a tremendous positive impact which really showed that the tight SD economy had impacted participation. I am concerned that it might have an inflationary influence in the future. Since it is evenly distributed, it might not be a problem - we'll have to see.

I was also very skeptical of the ShowRabbit 'Coin' system instead of a subscription. I've played the game for almost 6 months and find that it actually works fairly well. The big plus I think is that it gives folks the option of deciding how committed they are - it's not an all or nothing choice.

So, yeah, let's keep the ideas and polls coming.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/13/2015 9:34:48 PM

Replies in this thread : 4

Did you know?
The second obedience title is a CDX, or "Companion Dog Excellent", which is earned through competition in the Open obedience class.