Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Bearded Collie's?
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/13/2015 9:27:53 AM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Hi all!

I've been absent from SD for two years and a lot has happened in RL with not just myself, but my dogs as well with such a passing of time! I won't get too much into it for the sake of not wanting this to be an update thread, and also because there probably aren't too many left that remember my dogs anyway wink ;)

To give a little background, my family has owned Boxers and only Boxers for my entire life. We've shown and bred them occasionally, but we live on a farm and that took up most of our time. In my lifetime, we have only had three litters that we have raised. Our current boy finished his championship about a year ago and is currently at stud. We acquired a white Boxer in March of 2013 for my older sister who was starting her senior year in college and was feeling really lonely without a companion. So up until October of this year we had our two boys and our old girl, Kit, who unfortunately passed away on October 29th.

My sister and Tucker (our white boxer) recently moved out because she got a job about an hour and a half away, so all that's left is lonely ol' Matt. He's always been very dependent on our other dogs, and has a very sweet and sensitive personality. He look's intimidating with all his muscles but he honestly would not hurt a fly. Literally, one day we found him protecting a baby bird from Tucker that fell from it's nest lol. He was clearly depressed when our old girl passed away, and now that Tucker is gone he is by himself and we are worried we may need to start looking into adding a new family member.

I have been wanting something else other than a Boxer for quite some time now, and ideally I would like this next dog to be one that moves with me to Tennessee this fall where I will be finishing up my undergraduate degree. I have researched a lot of other breeds extensively, one of my other top considerations being Cardigan Welsh Corgi's, but I keep coming back to Bearded Collies.

I know I have never dealt with a long-haired breed before, but I feel confident I am up for the task. I've never been one to slack on my dogs when it comes to their well-being, so even if grooming it myself doesn't work out I am more than willing to take it to a groomer as needed. As I said before we live on a farm with plenty of space to run and I like to take my dogs with me to places whenever I can. As for moving with me to Tennessee, the city I am moving to is very dog-friendly with lots of dog parks as well as a lot of outdoor recreation. I enjoy being outdoors and I like to hike and take walks with my dogs. I am not looking for a show dog, but it is important that my pup comes from an outstanding breeder. I've researched a few in my area already, but haven't pursued anything just yet. I know that I definitely want a male. I also plan on going to obedience classes (I've done that with all of our other dogs) starting with puppy classes and moving up until I'm confident that they have grasped all the basic concepts that we can build on from there.

I guess what I'm asking for is any suggestions from anyone with experience with the breed. Do you think the Bearded Collie will be a good fit for my family and I? If so, what particular things should I look for or expect from a breeder? I have also been looking into Rough Collie's, as well.

Thanks so much! (sorry if I rambled)
Taylor

-----
Last edited by Wicked Kisses on 1/13/2015 1:11:54 PM
 Whovian Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 8:22:07 PM reply with quote send message to Whovian Kennels Object to Post

Beardies are amazing dogs. I can't have big dogs right now, but I will have some one day.

I've shown beardies for years, and I have long coated breeds. Beardie coats are the easiest long haired coat I've dealt with. They're pretty rugged compared to other coated breeds. They are super playful, super friendly, and super smart. You should really contact a breeder to find out more. PM me if you would like some suggestions, a good Beardie breeder can be hard to find (they aren't all that common)
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 8:34:42 PM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

If you've been showing, you know to contact the Beardie Breed club in your area to get a contact list of responsible AKC breeders in your area to interview. The Beardies shown in my area all do Herding training as well as Rally obedience so my experience is of very well rounded, kind, intelligent dogs. Those owners in our training classes also comment on their "sense of humour", great temperment with children and water-proof coats.
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
1/16/2015 10:09:13 AM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

Thanks guys!

I have heard that their coats aren't all that terrible to work with so that makes me feel better about it. I have been researching Rough Collie's the past few days as well, so they are definitely on our list.

Whovian, I may send you a PM wink ;)
Taylor
 Phlossy
Basic User

Basic User
1/16/2015 10:42:23 PM reply with quote send message to Phlossy Object to Post

Depending on how far down you're willing to go in size, tibetan terriers may be a good option as well. Their coat is extremely similar to a bearded collie, but they're quite a bit smaller (I'd say 2/3rds the size of a beardie?) so they may be a good into into working with a coat like that. I know of quite a few that have finished owner-handled as well, so that's always a plus.
 Wicked Kisses
Basic User

Basic User
1/21/2015 12:25:16 PM reply with quote send message to Wicked Kisses Object to Post

Thank you to everyone who has responded or took the time to PM me over the past few days!

After talking about it in great lengths and talking with a few breeders, my family and I have decided that a Cardigan Welsh Corgi will be a better fit for us. We are hoping to add a puppy to our family by early summer and have a few breeders in mind, but if anyone knows of any other great breeders (east coast preferred) with upcoming litters please let me know.

I still hope to own a Beardie someday in the future, though, so I appreciate everyone's input!

Taylor
 Rakkaus
Basic User

Basic User
1/22/2015 1:07:28 AM reply with quote send message to Rakkaus Object to Post

I'm on the east coast and I breed cardigan welsh corgis happy :)

Feel free to message me any time!
 Grandiose
Premium Member

Premium Member
2/8/2015 4:23:51 PM reply with quote send message to Grandiose Object to Post

What color Cardigan? Some breeders only breed specific colors, so if you have a color preference, it would help to point you in the right direction.
 Rakkaus
Basic User

Basic User
2/9/2015 7:23:24 PM reply with quote send message to Rakkaus Object to Post

Taylor has a friend of mine helping too wink ;) hehe.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
Additional points may be awarded to the Best of Winners, or a class dog that goes Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex, again depending on the number of dogs competing