Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : the use of Arnica on dogs
 purerough
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/14/2015 7:49:58 AM reply with quote send message to purerough Object to Post   

Has anyone given Arnica tabs to there dogs after surgery, my rough collie girl was attacked by two pit bull type dogs and is now in surgery , and I was reading on a pet forum that Arnica is good for trauma and post op .
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 11:04:53 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

we use arnica all the time, it's great! I trust it 100%. Do you have the dissolving tablets?
 Reflections Of
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 11:20:44 AM reply with quote send message to Reflections Of Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Have used it on a "sports injury" when my girl hyperextended and pulled her groin ligament with better success than asprin or metacam. I would NEVER consider substituting it for Tramadol or other pain medication immediately following surgery, though. I hope your poor girl is alright and that those irresponsible Pitty owners are paying for the surgery! As Judge Judy says "you chose to own known, well documented, agressive breeds so you are responsible for any damage inflicted by them"

-----
Last edited by Reflections Of on 1/14/2015 11:23:14 AM
 purerough
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 4:58:09 PM reply with quote send message to purerough Object to Post

Thank you for your replies, I will give her both medications , the ones I have are the dissolving tabs on the tongue and the owner of the dogs just hurled abuse at me and left so he isn't paying and my baby needed 5 stitches in her side
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/14/2015 5:28:57 PM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

They also make an arnica gel, which you could put directly on the wound, which would help ease the immediate pain on location. We use both on our dogs and they do well.
 griffin
Basic User

Basic User
1/15/2015 8:56:23 AM reply with quote send message to griffin Object to Post

You should talk to the vet about it first, because you don't want to have a bad interaction with whatever pain meds they have given her.

grif,
 Kitsufoxy
Basic User

Basic User
1/16/2015 8:30:23 AM reply with quote send message to Kitsufoxy Object to Post

Arnica Gel is generally not recommended for use on an open wound. In people I can say with great confidence that it's got a stunning effect on bruises, though. I've seen it with my own eyes.
 purerough
Basic User

Basic User
2/1/2015 4:18:06 AM reply with quote send message to purerough Object to Post

My little girl has made a full recovery, and her bubbly temperement has not been affected by the attack, she still likes to say hello to other dogs

Replies in this thread : 7

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class