Search

.com Forum · Bug Reporting and Suggestions

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Should we add group shows?
 Beach Dunes
Basic User

System.__ComObject
1/27/2015 5:00:15 PM reply with quote send message to Beach Dunes Object to Post   

in addition to the all-breed and breed-specific shows, should we add group shows as an option?
Should we add group shows?
No 23.40%
Yes 76.60%
74 Total Votes | Votes from premium users carry more weight.
 Solimar
Basic User

Basic User
1/27/2015 8:21:41 PM reply with quote send message to Solimar Object to Post

For those voting yes....

Please keep in mind that.... The All Breed Calendar is barely kept full... It's not uncommon for specialties to get cancelled due to lack of entries...

And, there are nights during the week where entire groups have no entries for the group.

Will
 DoogieG6521
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 7:41:43 AM reply with quote send message to DoogieG6521 Object to Post

I voted yes. However, I think group shows should be limited, say once a month. Also, perhaps have the ability to enter the group show in addition to the all breed show.
 PPvallhunds
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 11:16:53 AM reply with quote send message to PPvallhunds Object to Post

I voted no as there are plenty of shows as it is so don't think it would be worth the work to add them to the game.
 gaylanstudio
Premium Member

Premium Member
1/28/2015 2:17:51 PM reply with quote send message to gaylanstudio Object to Post

this post has been edited 5 time(s)

I voted "Yes"!

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=385958&recordnum=0 (I'm that anonymous "Basic" at 1:56pm)

Quoting myself:
"These shows work just like a regular all-breed but first in group is automatically Best in Specialty Show. (Minimal programming effort.)"

There should be no conflict with all breed shows as we already can enter a specialty and an all-breed on the same day.

Specialties allow the selection of "handler free".

The only real area of debate I see is do we allow entries in an all-breed, a single breed specialty, and a group specialty on the same day. I'd say yes!

We would still limit the creation of multiple identical specialties on the same day.

Personally, if I know there is a specialty for one of my breeds, I make an effort to enter everyone I can (within reason) and while I'm at it, I'll put them in the all-breeds that are on the schedule. This will happen even during periods of apathy/RL-conflicts when I might otherwise forgo the hassles of picking judges and handlers (I tend to bulk enter).

Group shows are to me a real no-brainer - they will motivate more folks to get those entries in!

Edit:
This idea at this time is only made better by the "Login Bonus". As long as the financial incentives remain I see no issues with adding group shows.

-----
Last edited by gaylanstudio on 1/28/2015 2:42:30 PM
 Summerwind Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
1/28/2015 3:00:42 PM reply with quote send message to Summerwind Kennels Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Really well said Gaylan! I agree with everything you mentioned happy :)

And the show calendar has been way more full as of late, since I think the login bonus was added.

The plus for a group specialty or multi breed specialty however you want to do it, is that if one breed, say the cardingan corgi has only one entry but there are a dozen other dogs entered he still gets to be entered and try for a group placement. And if there aren't enough of one breed for a single breed specialty they could still enter this one.

If it was setup like in Canada, for example, and you could get points from placing Group 1-4 it would be an even more added advantage to less popular breeds.

Multi breed specialties, for example like my local working/herding dog specialty, the breeds compete as normal, BOB, BOS, BOW,etc., then all the BOB compete in their respective groups 1-4, then the winners of each group, in this case working and herding, compete against each other for overall BISS and Reserve BISS (the reserve not being an "official" win but they get a nice rosette and bragging rights)

-----
Last edited by Summerwind Kennels on 1/28/2015 3:20:42 PM
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
1/31/2015 8:45:33 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

I voted yes. I think it will help entries in a way. I understand what you are saying Solimar about there being specialties that get cancelled but that's because there aren't 10 of every breed out there showing, however there are definitely 10 working dogs show or 10 toy dogs showing. I think it could really help entries for those that don't get competition within the breed or at specialties.

I also think that maybe we could take 1 All-Breed off the schedule once a week and put up a specialty. Rotate through the specialties by group, so week one would be Hound, week 2 Sporting etc etc that way you don't have 7 group specialties running the same night.

And on a final note, I agree with Gaylan on the idea of allowing entries in an all breed, a group specialty and a breed specialty if they all fall on the same night. There isn't harm done with that. I know for me if I enter a specialty I enter an all breed usually unless there is a judge I don't care for, then I just enter the specialty.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
The two largest American dog shows after Westminster are the National Dog Show (which is televised on Thanksgiving Day by NBC, usually after the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade) and the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship.