Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 8

Author Topic : Unofficial Showdog Coalition
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
3/17/2015 8:43:10 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post   

So, as the name suggests, this thread is here with the intent and purpose of bringing together those of us who remain loyal to the game. Who spent entirely too much time on it. To those whom crave that big win as much as the next. To those who simply cannot stop hitting the breed button. And to those who just seek a place to belong with people who share the same passion!

This thread is here in the attempt to conjur up those people mentioned or described and draw out their intelligent (I pray) responses and/or suggestions on what we can do, as a community, to better the site. To attract some much needed attention and overall and ultimately, more members.

As a loyal player who's been actively on and off since 2003, it pains me greatly to see showdog in this...paused state of play, so to speak. I would rave the day the site were to see its once glorifying days. However, I'm a realist and do not foresee that happening...without the right help of course. Could it happen again, nothing is quite out of reach.

But Jeff simply cannot do it alone. It will take those of us who have been here, made the friends, witnessed the magic this site has offered to it's members and our personal experiences to really draw people in. It will take some innovation, ideas and strategy. It will take making some changes perhaps. Things we can work together to achieve. That said, I'm hoping that I am able to bring the majority of this site together in this coalition and lets work together to advocate this site. To headline the breeds in need. To really appreciate those who's prestige trumps the rest. To remember and honor those dogs of the month!

Brick by brick, we can do it. It must start from the inside and work it's way out. I'm financially ready and perfectly capable. Who's with me?!

-Four
 CountryStrong Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
3/17/2015 8:53:12 PM reply with quote send message to CountryStrong Kennels Object to Post

Four, I completely agree and I'm in! I used to play back as far back as 2006 and some of my fondest memories were the friends I made and the community SD truly used to be.

I do have to say I was as giddy as a small child when I rejoined the site and saw the beautiful new illustrations done by Picardy. I believe this is a step in the right direction as far as creating an appealing interface for users to use.

Additionally, I truly wish the chat room would be active again. Whether it's the one on the site or an off site one like the tiki chat which used to be fairly active as well. Some of my fondest memories were the friends I made, and the conversations we had about either the site or the goings-on in our real lives.

I hope as much as the next to see this site in its former glory.

-Audrey
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/17/2015 10:34:45 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

Terrific! Of course this isn't something can happen overnight or even in a months time. It is something that will take some dedication and most importantly time and loyalty.

Most importantly, we need some auggestions that the users can discuss and work out. We need to figure out what it is that will make this site tic again. With New Years comes new technology and perhaps showdog is a bit behind par perhaps.

-Four
 Fourlorn
Premium Member

Premium Member
3/17/2015 10:35:53 PM reply with quote send message to Fourlorn Object to Post

I should also add that I am tossing some ideas and thoughts around in my head also. I'm making some cliff notes to propose to the site members as well. happy :)
 Spyte
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 1:37:26 AM reply with quote send message to Spyte Object to Post

You know I'm always in! I too think that chat is a huge thing. I loved being able to log on and talk with people who not only were interested in dogs, but also were friends who you can talk to about your real life, whether it's dog or other happenings. The friends I have made on here are irreplaceable and I love that.

I will gather some ideas in my brain and see what I can come up with happy :)
 BlackFrost
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 4:01:17 AM reply with quote send message to BlackFrost Object to Post

Count me in. I was around in 2008/2009, took a long break for RL things, and have come back just as addicted and just as sad to see so many gone.
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/18/2015 4:57:13 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Yes...Yes....Yes....

I'm with you - BIG TIME.

I don't know how I lived for 10 years with SD (may well have had something to do with living without internet lol!)

I'm back now after a prolonged absence but jumped straight back into my old accounts (luckily).

I'm trying hard to get some enthusiasm back into the game too.

I think it just goes to show the lure of SD, the fact that it is still here some 12 years after inception.

I wondered if we could have a thread with a virtual show on - ie we have say 5 classes, we all post photos in whichever class/es we think our photos fit into (do not need to be dog photos as I imagine some of us don't have RL dogs) and we ask either a panel of members to judge it, or Jeff if he has the time.
 Lëgacÿ
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 7:56:00 AM reply with quote send message to Lëgacÿ Object to Post

It's my experienced opinion that;
With having a chat option, new players want to go there to ask questions, make friends or to see how active the site is. When nobody is in chat in consecutive days, it definitely deters new members from hanging out. Let's face it, who wants to hang around waiting for a reply in messages?

I would love to see the chat up and active. I believe it needs to be basic friendly again. If we can talk to the basics and show them how to play the game or jump right in with hospitality and offer out good dogs and mentoring, people would definitely want to be a part of that.

-Four
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
3/19/2015 1:13:40 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

Chat used to be brilliant but (and it's a BIG BUT) the fact that we are miles apart (and time zones) can make it a little difficult synchronising it.

I think it's sad that basics can't use chat so I can't see that reinstating chat would help newbies, however maybe we could have a couple of chat windows initially ie set times for chat.

I am on briefly to session every morning before work and wouldn't have time but could fit a chat session in most evenings between 8pm - 1am GMT (UK)
also possibly Saturday and Sunday mornings between 7am - 11am GMT

I think I'm 5 hours in front until next weekend when we'll be 6 hours ahead so that equates to SD time of approx 3pm - 8pm evenings and 2am (lol) - 6am (more lol) weekend mornings.

I know compared to the American masses there aren't too many of us Brits on SD but I think the one big lure of chat is that we can get up close and personable with likeminded SD'ers from other countries.

Replies in this thread : 8

Did you know?
The third obedience title is a UD, or "Utility Dog", which is earned through competition in the Utility obedience class