Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : Sniffing
 country k9 dog kennel
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
7/7/2015 8:45:06 AM reply with quote send message to country k9 dog kennel Object to Post   

Hey guys! I really need your help! Me and my dog have a dog show this weekend, and i was hoping some of you could help me.
My dog constantly sniffs the ground and its worse now because we have a bitch in season. We have tried some methods that people have told us to try to get him to stop while we're in the ring,for example: rubbing Vicks on his nose, letting him sniff ammonia , Chapstick,and rubbing Lemon juice on his nose, but it doesn't work, he has I strong nose I guess. So I was wondering if any one else has any ideas that might help me.
 ShowMuttz
Basic User

Basic User
7/7/2015 9:29:30 AM reply with quote send message to ShowMuttz Object to Post

I'm really not one for leash corrections, but in this case it's definitely your best choice. My dog had the same problem because at her first few shows people were constantly dropping bait in the grass. She learned that "ooooh....there are hidden treasures all over the ring!!" and continued this sniff/dive behavior for over a year.

A handler told me to give her a quick pop with the lead whenever she tried to sniff, and always reward for attention and good behavior. After about an hour of work outside of shows, she was gaiting perfectly even when a friend of mine was throwing bait right in her path!

I'd try the same thing with your boy. Just give him a quick pop and "ah, ah!" followed by a "yes! good boy" whenever he resumes gaiting and/or stacking.
 country k9 dog kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/7/2015 1:03:10 PM reply with quote send message to country k9 dog kennel Object to Post

Well I do obedience so I can't really correct him in the ring unless I'm practicing, but thanks for the tips
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 4:14:48 AM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

I can appreciate how annoying this must be and as I don't compete in obedience I don't have much to offer as a suggestion, however I am concerned about trying to 'mask' scents with corrosive substances.
Dogs noses are so so sensitive, you should never knowingly encourage them to sniff anything caustic like ammonia, or put Vick or lemon juice near the nose where it could inflame the sensitive mucus membranes.
It may be a good idea to ask a fellow competitor who runs an entire male if they have any suggestions other than the above, or ask on the obedience forums.

How about liver cake in your pocket? or store a small cloth in the liver cake tin, carry that in your pocket? Or a cloth with the in season bitches scent on?

country k9 dog kennel
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/8/2015 9:21:03 AM reply with quote send message to country k9 dog kennel Object to Post

Most of the above have been tips from other competitors with males. I do understand your thoughts on putting that on his nose, I was hesitant with the Vicks , but ones like the ammonia,others had tried that on him, and I'm don't think I really like the ammonia idea, it smells awful and I don't want my dog to have to smell that. As for the cloth thing we are not allowed to do that while your in the obedience ring, you can use whatever toys or treats you want in training , but never when your showing. Thank you! I will try posting in the obedience forum
 Briarmoore
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 12:19:46 PM reply with quote send message to Briarmoore Object to Post

Does your dog sniff the ground in training as well as at shows? If your dog is doing it in training as well, then work on properly correcting the sniffing/rewarding correct behaviour in training.

I would then graduate to match/practice shows (or start here if he only does it at shows) where you can explain the issue to the judge and the judge should let you work on resolving it in the ring. At this point you shouldn't be bringing treats in but you can still have your dog working in anticipation of a reward and you could give a gentle verbal correction (you might lose marks but it's not an official show so it doesn't matter so much).

Since this has been going on for a while and your dog has obviously learned he can get away with it, there isn't going to be a quick fix that will make him perfect by tomorrow.
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
7/8/2015 9:24:44 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

After this show you attend, it might be a good idea to hold off on entering future shows until you can correct the issue and maybe simply practice with him in a variety of situations, including attending matches like Briarmoor suggested. There may even be a match offered after the show you'll be attending. Matches are a great way to get ring practice without paying the cost of a show and there's often people there who can offer suggestions.

My dog used to sniff a ton in the obedience ring once we started competing in the Open class and I was also told to try putting Vanilla, Vicks, etc. on his nose. That didn't work and I believe it's because ultimately, that only "covered up" the real problem which was that I was trying to show him in Open before he was really ready and that the sniffing was more a stress behavior. He was my first dog to train for obedience, so I know there were tons of mistakes made by me along the way...entering shows before my dog was ready was one of them.

Going to fun matches can really be helpful.

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.