Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : Supplements?
 Nouveau
Basic User

System.__ComObject
7/29/2015 10:09:24 AM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post   

I currently handle many breeds, as well as my own 15 month old German Shepherd in AKC conformation dog shows. This is the second show dog I have personally owned, and I have never used supplements before. I do add eggs, meat, and beneficial oils to meals. I have also used multivitamin tablets, calcium tablets, fish oil capsules, and brewer's yeast capsules in the past. So, which supplements do you use, and are they worth it? How much of a difference do they make? Pros and cons? Any before and after supplement photos are appreciated as well. Based on what I've seen and heard, I plan on steering clear of Showstopper, and anything similar.
 Treestand Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
7/29/2015 10:36:58 AM reply with quote send message to Treestand Kennel Object to Post

My guys are FAR from show dogs, but they get raw meat, bone, organs, fresh whole eggs when we get them, fish oil, and I have had to recently add glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM because my 8 and a half year old's hip dysplacia was really beginning to hurt him.

I've noticed just with the eggs and PMR (raw diet) there has been a major change in their appearances: their coats have gotten even softer and shinier. My hound had straw like hair before, but now it's ridiculously soft and they don't seem to hold stink like they used to. Their teeth have never looked better in the 5 and 6 years we have had them. happy :)
 kiroja
Premium Member

Premium Member
7/29/2015 5:24:08 PM reply with quote send message to kiroja Object to Post

I feed raw as well and the dogs get lots of compliments on their coat and appearance for their age. (Half my dogs are elderly, but have recently still participated in a variety of shows and trials/events.) Currently the only thing I supplement is Cosequin for joints on the adults and probiotics/enzymes for one dog who although appears normal with normal bloodwork, her stools were not normal looking for a typically raw fed dog so I worried she wasn't fully absorbing her meals. Also when heavily working such as coursing, racing, and pulling I give them some K9 Super Fuel for electrolytes and such. It also seems to work well adding to food or water if someone is refusing to eat/drink. Sometimes I pop some NutriCal on their tongue too.

In the past I have used Missing Link when on kibble which the dogs did well on, although I don't know if it made a significant difference. I also used Nupro very briefly and didn't see anything special so returned to the ML. Although I know many people who love Nupro.
 Nouveau
Basic User

Basic User
7/31/2015 10:38:02 PM reply with quote send message to Nouveau Object to Post

I feed partly raw with kibble. The kibble is Purina Performance 30/20. What I'm gathering so far is that the mentioned supplements make very little if any difference at all. I've read that there are several on the market that have no scientific backing. Any other input about the mentioned supplements, or others anyone may have used? happy :)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
The figure 8 exercise requires the team to heel in a figure 8 pattern either on or off leash. Generally two of the ring stewards will assist the judge with this exercise by acting as "posts", standing 8 feet apart, that the team walks around to form the loops of the figure 8.