Search

.com Forum · Banner Making Forum

Replies in this thread : 6

Author Topic : First ever banner - Critique/feedback, please!
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/8/2015 6:19:52 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post   

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

razz :p it's the first time ive ever done a banner, so please, tell me anything! It is much appreciated. I know the Aussie isn't cropped very well, I tried though. So any feedback would be great. Also, i think it looks a bit boring, but I didnt know how to 'spice' it up at all.. Anyways, thankyou for any feedback laugh :D
BRW
">

-----
Last edited by BRW Gold Winners Kennel on 10/8/2015 6:20:36 AM
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/8/2015 6:32:22 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Also, if anyone has any tips for me they'd be much appreciated! happy :)
 Wabi-Sabi Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
10/10/2015 8:36:45 AM reply with quote send message to Wabi-Sabi Kennels Object to Post

You are really good! Cropping will get better in time with practice but for a first banner, you're amazing. My only critique at this point would be try to proportion the dogs with the background. The trees are almost the same height, so that's a minor, easy change. And I think the "spicing up" could perhaps come from text? Maybe try and find different fonts or learn different techniques if you like. Find unique ways to position text, like in and arc or vertical. Small things like that are what really set apart the good banners from the great banners.

I still think it's super good! Good job!
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/13/2015 2:24:35 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Thankyou so much! I really appreciate it. I'm gal you could give me something to work on - thanks! laugh :D And thankyou for taking the time to comment also! happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
10/14/2015 6:59:57 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

I think its brilliant for your first ever banner!

It’s much better than my first one I ever made happy :)
I love the fact that you chose 2 REALLY good pictures of your two breeds – they are top quality images and are both safe images to use and adapt which is fantastic happy :)

I think your cropping is pretty good for a first time happy :) You can use a small ‘blur’ or ‘blend’ tool to help smooth the edges a bit to make it look a bit better.

One thing I like to do is increase the brightness, contrast and sharpness on the dogs to help make them stand out against the background.
You should be able to do this fairly easily depending on the type of program you’re using. (I use GIMP).

One little thing is the Border Collie’s white chest hair has a slight green tinge to it – you can fix this by going over it gently with a white brush.

The text to me doesn’t stand out enough – but I love the fact that you’ve used a white text as it looks really good with the theme/background. Try using a larger sized text, or place a layer of black shadow or black text behind it to help the white text stand out more. You can download free texts – just google some happy :) There’s so many to choose from happy :)

One other thing to mention is shadows. Shadows below the dogs can help to make the dogs look more realistic and make them appear to be ‘in’ the scenery as opposed to standing in front of the picture. You can also add some more snow around their feet to make it look like they’re feet are standing in the snow too. (I normally decrease the opacity when I’m adding the snow).

Looking forward to seeing your next banner! laugh :D
 BRW Gold Winners Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2015 6:05:20 AM reply with quote send message to BRW Gold Winners Kennel Object to Post

Thankyou so much! Such great feedback! Thankyou so much, it was really helpful! And yes, I did wonder on how I could make it all stand out from the background. Thanks for writing so much, it really has helped me! happy :)
 Dalkeith
Basic User

Basic User
10/15/2015 1:41:11 PM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post

No worries at all happy :)

Looking forward to seeing your next banner happy :)

Replies in this thread : 6

Did you know?
In multi-breed and all-breed shows, the winners of all breeds within the kennel club's breed Groups then compete for Group placements.