Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 5

Author Topic : Question about real life Bronze, Silver, and Gold GCHs...
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
10/18/2015 1:17:06 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

So, I'm just curious...

In real life, are dogs that go on to become bronze, silver, and gold grand champions pretty much being campaigned? Based on the way it works in the game, I imagine (in real life) that you are showing the dog A LOT (i.e. every weekend) to achieve this.

Astoria2
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2015 8:37:30 AM reply with quote send message to Astoria2 Object to Post

Yes, I've seen Bronze GCH dogs on a light campaign, but with a max of 5 GCH points per show, you figure thats a minimum of 20 shows to achieve, likely more.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/18/2015 4:21:24 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Are there different sorts of champions in the USA then??
Over here we just have champions, some dogs get retired once they are a champion, some don't, it is pretty hard to become a champion though!
 mournebrake
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2015 4:39:35 PM reply with quote send message to mournebrake Object to Post

It is often remarked upon that the hardest country to finish a dog in is the UK. To be cynical all you need to finish a dog in the UK is three friends who award CC's.
In practice it's very hard to win a CC over the top winning dog in a breed, and many dogs worthy of Champion titles are held back, winning reserve after reserve, but never gaining that final qualifying ticket.
 Astoria Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
10/18/2015 7:02:42 PM reply with quote send message to Astoria Kennel Object to Post

Over here, with the AKC, there are two Champion statuses for conformation.
To become a Champion, a dog must get 15 points, 2 wins must be 'major's of 3 or more points at one time. Like on SD, you get CH points by going Winners Dog/Bitch and can get more points by going Best of Breed or Best of Opposite Sex - the points are calculated by the breed and region and the number of dogs beat. You can also get CH points by winning a Group One - you'd win the highest number of points in the classes in any breed in that group on that day.
After becoming a Champion, you can compete for a Grand Champion. You only get GCH points by winning Best of Breed, Best of Opposite Sex, or Select Dog/Bitch (Selects are not part of SD right now). You can not get any additional points by winning the group. To become a Grand Champion, you need 25 points, including 3 majors, and must defeat another champion 3 times (maybe 2, but I think 3).

There are multiple levels of GCH depending on the number of grand points achieved.
 chocolateteapot
Premium Member

Premium Member
10/20/2015 2:16:12 PM reply with quote send message to chocolateteapot Object to Post

Hmmmm, seems to me that the maths is trickier in the USA champions wise!
I never could work out what a grand champion was!

Replies in this thread : 5

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.