Search

.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 20

Author Topic : Is anyone willing/able to help revive this breed?
 Dalkeith
Basic User

System.__ComObject
4/16/2016 2:36:38 AM reply with quote send message to Dalkeith Object to Post   

Portuguese Pointers are becoming extinct!

There are only 12 'active' dogs listed - and only a handful of those are 'current' SOP - the others are source dogs.

There are a TONNE of 'hidden' studs that are sitting in old/abandoned kennels - which I have listed here:

www.showdog.com/forum/read.aspx?id=545076

Is anyone happy to help bring the breed back?

I think we will most likely need to use source females - and breed them to the hidden studs. (As I think there is only 1 current SOP female in the game at the moment)
 Amadror
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 3:29:18 AM reply with quote send message to Amadror Object to Post

Sounds exactly like the kind of project I've been looking for. However, I'm really new to the game (owning one basic Whippet kennel and one already premium for Azawakhs), so here are some stupid/newbie questions in advance:
How do I use (or even get?) dogs from abandoned kennels?
How do we make sure that we have some decent show action?
More to follow. Quite excited...
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 3:52:35 AM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

Awesome! Glad to have you on board! We’re going to need all the help we can get!

I’ve messaged ‘LoveLight’ – who is the only kennel who is currently showing Portuguese Pointers (PPs). Hopefully they will be happy for us to help bring the breed back happy :)

To answer some of your Qs: happy :)
You can’t buy dogs from abandoned kennels unless they are listed for auto-sale – which of the kennels that I’ve looked at today I couldn’t see any kennels that had any for sale.

Because the breed is so rare the only way to get dogs is to buy ‘Source Dogs’ – which are dogs that you can buy from Admin that are basically ‘starting from scratch dogs’. (The SOP % of source dogs usually varies from 0.50%-20.00%).

Because there are such a large number of abandoned studs we can use these studs to breed to our source girls in order to get the numbers in the breed up. Over time the SOPs will slowly rise – but it will take a long time – so I hope you’re in for the long haul! happy :)

The SOP of the current PPs ranges from 88.00-92.50%

To buy Source Dogs:
After you sign in to your kennel, click on the ‘My Account’ button on the left of the screen just below where it says your kennel name, and then scroll to the bottom. On the bottom right there is a bunch of links – and there is one that says ‘Purchase Starter Dogs’.

It will bring you to a page where you can select the breed (Portuguese Pointer), then select the gender (get girls only), then you can also select the colour of the dog.

There are 4 colours in this breed: Yellow, Yellow & White, Brown, Brown & White.

It costs $20 to get a female of ‘random’ colour, or if you want to choose the colour of your girl it costs $40.

(Mind you – if you have only recently upgraded your kennel and you haven’t already ‘made your own starter dogs’ then you might have some there that you can get for free).

In terms of showing:
Because we will be using source bred dogs there isn’t really any point in showing at the moment – as our dogs won’t be able to compete beyond the Breed level. (Won’t be able to get Group/Show placements etc). However I guess if you wanted to you could still session some up for Breed level.
I won’t be interested in showing for a while – only because funds are low in this kennel at the moment hahaa.

Feel free to post here when you have any other questions happy :)

Oh, and I’ve just purchased 10 source PPs for now – and they will be living in my ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ kennel.
 Lisboa
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 3:53:13 AM reply with quote send message to Lisboa Object to Post

Hi Dalkeith

I used to have both Portuguese Pointers and Portuguese Podengos in a previous round of Lisboa (and probably speedy2).

I've been looking for breeds where I can help ... as well as breeds where I can win.

Lovelight has a couple of dogs and bitches. Have you chatted to them.

I've chatted to Goldenwing about Podengos, but there are 3 kennels listed there.

Like you I went another family (+1), and still have a couple of kennels looking for a breed.
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 3:53:23 AM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

I'm going to trawl through some more pedigrees to see if I can find any more abandoned studs happy :)
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 4:05:20 AM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

Hi Lisboa happy :)

Yes I've sent a msg to LoveLight - I've made a banner for them in the past too, hahaa happy :)

I'm sure they will be happy for us to help the breed. I'm hoping to get some pups from the current SOP girl that she's got - as that would help everyone heaps!

If you'd like to join us - that would be absolutely brilliant!
 Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 7:27:46 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

I'm interested! count me in happy :)
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 5:05:56 PM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

posted by Anachronism
I'm interested! count me in happy :)
Awesome!!! laugh :D I'm so glad to have you on board!
 jaime1985
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 5:08:08 PM reply with quote send message to jaime1985 Object to Post

It was the final arm twist I needed to take the plunge laugh :D
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/16/2016 5:55:34 PM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

Hahaa - it's never hard to tempt you! wink ;) :P
 Lace Dreams
Basic User

Basic User
4/17/2016 9:33:33 AM reply with quote send message to Lace Dreams Object to Post

Oooohhh have fun! I recently became interested in PBGV. They didn't have any ranked breeders or stud dogs but right after I made a bunch of starter dogs, two Kennels logged in, so I was able to have a stud list to choose from and I bought a few nice dogs.

If I get bored of Lhasa Apsos in this kennel I may join y'all.

Alexandria
 Legacy League
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2016 3:52:46 AM reply with quote send message to Legacy League Object to Post

Just found out that you can actually buy more starter dogs. Great to be new to a game, so many exciting discoverieswink :). I got relatively lucky with one dog (brown & at least some not completely awful traits), so if anybody is interested in some color breeding, I put him up for stud:
www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=14837618

How is the PP project going for everyone?

Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2016 4:11:28 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

I bought ten bitches and bred 8 of them to studs from the hidden stud list. Got two I am waiting on being old enough then will breed them too. Awaiting a pupslosion on Thursday xD
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
4/20/2016 7:40:15 AM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

I've got a stack of PP litters due over the next few days laugh :D

I'll update here once they're born happy :)
 Mystic Fall Kennel
Basic User

Basic User
4/23/2016 3:39:18 AM reply with quote send message to Mystic Fall Kennel Object to Post

Woo-hoo! Glad to see more kennels getting into the PPs. I was posting in the breed forum looking for other breeders. Even though we all are starting from scratch at least we all can get to our goals around the same time and see this beautiful breed get back into the show ring.

Just bred my first five bitches, hopefully the will have some decent puppies on the 28th.
 CarrieCurl
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/28/2016 5:40:15 AM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post

As this is a Basic, therefore non-breeding kennel, I can help by sessioning and finishing a dog/bitch for someone. Must, of course be a competitive SOP.
Very experienced player. 12+ years in the game as well as exhibitor/owner/handler IRL. I run 3 very active standard kennels as well on SD.
Carolyn
 Chaos and Havoc
Basic User

Basic User
4/29/2016 5:29:36 PM reply with quote send message to Chaos and Havoc Object to Post

Thanks for offering CarrieCurl happy :) However this breed is not currently showing.

There are only about 4 'current' SOP dogs in this breed that are owned by an active kennel. The rest of us have source bred dogs which we are breeding to old/hidden studs of half-decent SOP.
 CarrieCurl
Premium Member

Premium Member
4/30/2016 9:09:16 AM reply with quote send message to CarrieCurl Object to Post

No problem. I might just have to join your breed revival effort from one of my standard accounts. I will give it some thought.
Cheers,
Carolyn
 Dockside
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2016 7:45:24 PM reply with quote send message to Dockside Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Ok. It is Carolyn in one of my Standard kennels. Is there any way I can purchase Starter P. Pointers? Been so long since I used any starters that I cannot remember if I can simply buy them outright.
Carolyn

-----
Last edited by Dockside on 5/1/2016 7:46:02 PM
 Dockside
Basic User

Basic User
5/1/2016 7:51:10 PM reply with quote send message to Dockside Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Never mind. I have done it! Two litters on the way. Let's see what we get.
Carolyn

-----
Last edited by Dockside on 5/1/2016 7:51:51 PM
 Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
7/1/2016 8:12:07 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

If anyone fancies joining in but doesnt want to start right at the beginning then I have some dogs and bitches for sale, they have a source dog as a great grandparent so are nearly ready to start breeding true

Price is highly negotiable happy :)

Replies in this thread : 20

Did you know?
The largest and most prestigious dog show in America is the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, was established in 1877 and is held annually at Madison Square Garden in New York City.