Search

.com Forum · Source Breeder Forum

Replies in this thread : 9

Author Topic : Breeding source to current SOP dogs
 Anachronism
Basic User

System.__ComObject
8/9/2016 6:10:29 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post   

I'm currently doing this and wondering at what point you got the dogs to current SOP's? How long/how many breedings did it take?

Would love to see examples, I am on my fifth lot of breedings currently
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
8/9/2016 9:44:34 PM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

I have been doing this with Field Spaniels to bring lost colors back into the breed. I have been working on it since December 2015. This is a pup from my most recent litter, my highest SOP so far. She is 9 generations out from my starter bitch. Current top SOP for the breed is around 95.00 and she is 87.20. SOPs in this project improved fast at first but has started to slow down now. I expect it to take several more months before my Bi- and Tri- colored dogs and carriers are current SOP.

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15092467
 Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
8/10/2016 4:27:02 AM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

Thanks laugh :D That is really interesting to know, will have a look back through the generations.

This is currently my best bitch, have been breeding in two batches. I am on my "5th" gen, counting gen 1 as my starter dogs

www.showdog.com/dog.aspx?id=15085150

There is no current SOP as such as there are no real current dogs, just hidden studs. So I'm not sure at what point we will consider them "done"
 Caulfeilds Kennels
Premium Member

Premium Member
8/13/2016 8:35:36 AM reply with quote send message to Caulfeilds Kennels Object to Post

I have been breeding True source dogs since 2006.
True being 0 Gen to 0 Gen then Gen 1 to Gen 1 and so on.

10 years later I am on Gen 98.
My Source SOP, the highest one, is 84.
The current highest show dog is at 94 SOP.

Mixing a Source with a show dig is not 'true' source breeding, in my opinion, so I wouldn't do it.

I think I did it with Am. Cockers years ago and it didn't take long to bring a dog up to show quality.

None of my Source Welsh Springers have ever been shown.
Carol
 Artistri
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2016 11:59:37 AM reply with quote send message to Artistri Object to Post

posted by Caulfeilds Kennels
Mixing a Source with a show dig is not 'true' source breeding, in my opinion, so I wouldn't do it.
My goal in this project was not to establish a source line. It was to bring rare colors back into the breed and it has been quite successful. I'm not sure why you say you wouldn't do it. There are lots of advantages when breeding starter dogs to current SOP dogs. I have also used them to improve "locked" traits in other breeds.
 Legacy League
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2016 12:59:44 PM reply with quote send message to Legacy League Object to Post

I'd say that both concepts have their merits, and one doesn't exclude the other. I'm relatively new to showdog.com, and currently 4 of my 5 family account kennels are show kennels with current SOP dogs. This kennel is part of the PP re-breeding project, and I'm personally really enjoying it. I also took some interesting general breeding theories from the experience. However, I'm flirting with the idea to change one of the show kennels to a real source breeding kennel; bit afraid of the time frame, though...

Anachronism
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2016 3:06:40 PM reply with quote send message to Anachronism Object to Post

No, it isn't proper source breeding but I honestly would never be able to have the patience to proper source breed.

The breed was in serious risk of dying out and the hidden studs are getting on a bit so this was the quickest way to make sure the breed wasn't lost
 Edge of Tomorrow
Basic User

Basic User
8/13/2016 5:11:40 PM reply with quote send message to Edge of Tomorrow Object to Post

posted by Caulfeilds Kennels

As the title of this post suggests ("Breeding source to Current SOP"wink ;) this discussion was to ask about how long it takes to reach a decent SOP - not about pure source-to-source breeding.

In Portuguese Pointers the breed had practically died out when I decided to revive them. The only 'current' SOP dogs were located in abandoned kennels or closed kennels that only logged in once in a blue moon and ignored messages.

Myself and several others decided to revive the breed using source dogs bred to about 25 'hidden' current SOP studs in abandoned kennels.

So far we've had great success in reviving the breed both in the number of players focusing on this project as well as a steady increase in SOP in these 'half-blood' dogs happy :)
 Rose Mountain
Basic User

Basic User
8/23/2016 11:54:18 AM reply with quote send message to Rose Mountain Object to Post

I love this topic!

Pure source breeding is a very long but rewarding project. I also enjoy Source to Current SOPs because I get to focus on color with all the guarantee of a quick pick up in the SOP section. A few of my family kennels are about reviving lost breeds and starting from scratch. But others are about colors and just really engraving my Kennel name throughout the bloodline- That is when I use higher established SOPs. It takes some time but def not as long as true source breeding.

Honestly just enjoy it- its fun and really rewarding either way!

-Jessika
 WindSweptWolf
Basic User

Basic User
8/24/2016 3:46:05 PM reply with quote send message to WindSweptWolf Object to Post

I did this with Gray Klee Kais, since the color was all but lost. I finally reached competative SOP this generation. It has been roughly 1 year.

Replies in this thread : 9

Did you know?
A specialty show is a dog show which reviews a single breed, unlike other dog shows, particularly conformation shows, which are generally referred to as "all-breed" because they are open to all breeds recognized by the sponsoring kennel club.