Search

.com Forum · Real Show Dogs

Replies in this thread : 3

Author Topic : AKC Farm Dog Certified
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

System.__ComObject
11/5/2016 1:20:33 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post   

Has anyone been to a Farm Dog Certified event? I've read all the requirements and regulations ( www.akc.org/events/herding/farm-dog-certified-test/ ), but was wondering how the handler transitions from one exercise to the next. Does the evaluator set up/guide the handler/dog to each exercise, are there numbered signs to indicate which exercise is next and where it takes place (kind of like rally)? Any input would be much appreciated as there doesn't seem to be much info available on the Internet yet aside from what I've already read on the AKC website. Thanks!
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2016 1:26:44 AM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

This youtube video (a Demo of how the evaluation would work) makes it look like the first exercise had signs directing you where to walk. Just wondering if this is how the real thing would work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-g1ptQ8KAQ

Some have described it as a "rural" CGC test...
 Tizzy Too
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2016 10:57:03 AM reply with quote send message to Tizzy Too Object to Post

This looks like a really fun trial!! Other than the height of the bales of hay for my Dandies to jump on, I think they would do great! Can't wait to see it being offered ... thanks for posting this laugh :D
 Super Uber Kennels
Basic User

Basic User
11/5/2016 7:20:48 PM reply with quote send message to Super Uber Kennels Object to Post

My boyfriend has a 12 (soon to be 13) year old Aussie who has an issue with one of his back legs from some injury he suffered when he was younger. As a result of his occasional limping, we can't do any of the performance events with him, as we would be excused. However, he's still pretty active and I think he'd enjoy doing something and the Farm Dog Certified test is open to dogs with physical disabilities (including amputees), so long as the evaluator feels the dog isn't undergoing "physical discomfort". So, I think we might have found something he can participate in. happy :)

Replies in this thread : 3

Did you know?
A conformation dog show is not a comparison of one dog to another but a comparison of each dog to a judge's mental image of the ideal breed type as outlined in the individual breed's breed standard.